SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Remind me about CA laws for visitors driving into state
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remind me about CA laws for visitors driving into state Login/Join 
posted
I'm in AZ. Based in Tucson. Always/normally have an accessible P220 in the truck. Especially when I drive deep into the southeast of the state. I'm sometimes more concerned about being on the road in the middle of nowhere than I am among people. But that's another topic.

I often drive to San Diego for family considerations. Don't like not having it between here and the border. I know there's not carry reciprocity between the states. What would I have to do before entering CA? In the trunk? In a case in the trunk? In a locked case in the trunk? In a locked case unloaded in the trunk? I can't even have it in the car area, or can I, loaded or unloaded?

Thanks

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, you should have the firearm unloaded in a locked case in the trunk and the ammo in a separate container. Also, if you have any magazines over 10 rounds, you are guilty of a felony if they are found. (In a truck, you must have the locked case where you can't reach it as a driver)

"Evil can never be dead enough" Brevard County, Fla., sheriff Wayne Ivey

Posts: 83 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Separate gun from ammo; one in trunk the other backseat, or, difficult to reach for driver. No glove box or, front passenger seat. Gun must be in locked case or, have locking device on it. Don't get caught with 10+ rd magazines.

From a general safety perceptive, if you're going into urban or, dense suburban areas, don't leave anything exposed on seats/floors. The number of vehicle burglaries around many areas is staggering.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've traveled thru California, Death Valley, Big Bear Lake, Porterville, PCH and into Oregon several times. A S&W J frame always accompanied me on the motorcycle ride, weapon in the trunk.

Years ago I was given the advice: "Don't ask, don't tell and don't speed".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can have both pistol and loaded magazines in the same locked container inside the passenger compartment. Glove box or armrest console are not considered a locked container for this purpose, but something like a soft bag with a luggage lock is.
Not sure about high capacity magazines in your particular case: while it's not illegal to own and carry them inside the state it's illegal to import, so you probably should stick to 10-rounders (or just block off your existing ones to accept only 10 rounds and revert when back home).

Posts: 109 | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by echidna:
You can have both pistol and loaded magazines in the same locked container inside the passenger compartment.

Clarification: UNLOADED pistol and loaded mags.

Posts: 109 | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post