SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein Introduces Bill to Ban Assault Weapons - 03/11/2021
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein Introduces Bill to Ban Assault Weapons - 03/11/2021 Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted
Democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein Introduces Bill to Ban Assault Weapons,
High-Capacity Magazines Hours After House Dems Pass Gun Control Bill

https://www.congress.gov/bill/...ate-bill/736?s=1&r=2

https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...ss-gun-control-bill/

https://www.feinstein.senate.g...57-B1C7-E09E161C83D7

Mar 11 2021

Washington—Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Congressman David N. Cicilline (D-R.I.) today introduced the Assault Weapons Ban, an updated bill to ban the sale, transfer, manufacture and importation of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines, like were used in the massacre in Dayton, Ohio, where the shooter had a 100-round magazine attached to an assault rifle.

“It’s been 17 years since the original Assault Weapons Ban expired, and the plague of gun violence continues to grow in this country,” said Senator Feinstein. “To be clear, this bill saves lives. When it was in place from 1994-2004, gun massacres declined by 37 percent compared with the decade before. After the ban expired, the number of massacres rose by 183 percent. We’re now seeing a rise in domestic terrorism, and military-style assault weapons are increasingly becoming the guns of choice for these dangerous groups. I’m hopeful that with the new administration and Democratic control of the Senate, we can finally pass commonsense gun reforms to remove these deadly weapons from our communities.”

“Assault weapons are designed for a single purpose – to kill as many people as possible in as short an amount of time as possible. That’s why they are the weapon of choice for mass shooters and domestic terrorists. They are weapons of war and do not belong in our communities,” said Congressman Cicilline. “Banning these weapons will make our cities and towns safer and more secure and help to reduce gun deaths.”

In the Senate, the bill is cosponsored by Senators Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), Bob Menendez (D-N.J.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Bob Casey (D-Pa.), Tim Kaine (D-Va.), Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), Mazie K. Hirono (D-Hawaii), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Ben Cardin (D-Md.), Chris Coons (D-Del.), Tina Smith (D-Minn.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), Jacky Rosen (D-Nev.), Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), Ben Ray Luján (D-N.M.), Alex Padilla (D-Calif.), Patty Murray (D-Wash.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) and Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.).

“Military-style assault rifles were designed to kill as many people as quickly as possible. Period. There is no reason why these weapons should be sold to the public. President Biden ran on passing commonsense legislation to end the gun violence epidemic. The data is clear: an assault weapons ban will save lives. I’m proud to join Senator Feinstein in reintroducing this critical legislation,” said Senator Murphy.

“What do Las Vegas, Orlando, Newtown, Sutherland Springs, El Paso, and Parkland all have in common? These communities are a tragic shorthand for some of the deadliest mass shootings in our nation’s history, all of which involved an assault weapon,” said Senator Blumenthal. “Assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are deadly and dangerous weapons of war that belong on battlefields—not our streets. They have no purpose for self-defense or hunting, and no business being in our schools, churches and malls. By passing this legislation, Congress can honor the memory of the beautiful lives cut short by military-style assault weapons in far too many American cities.”

Key provisions:

Bans the sale, manufacture, transfer and importation of 205 military-style assault weapons by name. Owners may keep existing weapons.

Bans any assault weapon with the capacity to utilize a magazine that is not a fixed ammunition magazine and has one or more military characteristics including a pistol grip, a forward grip, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding or telescoping stock. Owners may keep existing weapons.

Bans magazines and other ammunition feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, which allow shooters to quickly fire many rounds without needing to reload. Owners may keep existing magazines.

Requires a background check on any future sale, trade or gifting of an assault weapon covered by the bill.

Requires that grandfathered assault weapons are stored using a secure gun storage or safety device like a trigger lock.

Prohibits the transfer of high-capacity ammunition magazines.

Bans bump-fire stocks and other devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire at fully automatic rates.
Exemptions to bill:

The bill exempts by name more than 2,200 guns for hunting, household defense or recreational purposes.

The bill includes a grandfather clause that exempts all weapons lawfully possessed at the date of enactment.

**** Edited to add additional link ****

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jupiter,

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Time to send GOA some funds. We/they are gonna be needing it. NRA too. This is going too far. As all gun laws are.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Suggest moving this thread to the Lounge for more exposure.

The word needs to get out on this and the other two bills going on.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
Suggest moving this thread to the Lounge for more exposure.

The word needs to get out on this and the other two bills going on.

$.02 worth,
Boss

I originally posted this to the Lounge but moved it to "Gun Control Discussion" to stay within Forum guidelines.
Maybe forum staff could create a link in the other sub-forums if they feel it's needed.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Over this past year, some gun related items were still easy to find at good prices. It might be a good time to ...........you know. Smile

-- George Orwell

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post

Link to original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNCGgMEPztA

Spread.The.Word.
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"Domestic Terrorists", "dangerous groups". Translated:

Constitutionalists. Non-Progressive Christians/Jews.. Conservatives. Trump voters.

Feels like she is pointing her finger at you and me, doesn't it?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
$50 bucks to GOA, and $50 to NRA. Wish I could send more. F#ck Feinstein!

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the contents of the Bill.

https://www.feinstein.senate.g...pons-ban-of-2021.pdf

-- George Orwell

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

Makes ya want to puke.

FBLM LGB!

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:

Makes ya want to puke.

Yep, corruption at its finest.
We all knew it was coming.

-- George Orwell

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s why they are the weapon of choice for mass shooters and domestic terrorists.

There is no reason why these weapons should be sold to the public.

Ummm, it's chosen by military groups and LE, foreign and domestic. Chosen because they are reasonable and effective and readily available. And other reasons.

Ummm, the public needs weapons to displace tyranny. So we need them to fight against you.

Why does it feel like the the spark that will trigger a civil war is coming ever closer?

I actually hope I'm alive to see the day when the trash is taken out, once and for all and we become a sane, great nation, respected globally for integrity, values and prosperity, once again.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
~40% of eligible GA voters didn't cast a ballot a few weeks ago.

So here we are...

Pick your pro2A group/cause...GOA, SAF, NRA, etc. and civilly support them.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The dims don't give a shit how many pro-gun groups you contact or how many letters you send to them. They will vote as a bloc in both the house and senate to pass this. They don't fear any repercussions because they know how to steal future votes and get away with it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder when the old bag will croak?

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
The dims don't give a shit how many pro-gun groups you contact or how many letters you send to them. They will vote as a bloc in both the house and senate to pass this. They don't fear any repercussions because they know how to steal future votes and get away with it.

^^Likely true. With the way things are going, and likely to get worse due to inept management, good chance they know they're going to get decimated in the mid-terms. So get it on the books now, no matter what.

The question is if/when that occurs, will the RINO's have the stones to repeal it with the usual 'If you repeal this, you want children to DIE!' hyperbole.

Among other things, think about how that's going to effect private party sales if you can't transfer standard capacity mags? Going to be alot of semi-autos out there sold without any...all part of the plan to just make it more and more difficult on the law abiding.

But the GC crowd would be tickled pink if you thru up your hands in frustration and tossed in the towel. You think it's bad now? Try that approach.

Same as 'I'm not voting for that RINO!' and then a worse democrat wins. Boy, you sure showed them! Roll Eyes .

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I hope she dies knowing that this has never passed, despite her having tried to get it done at every opportunity.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I hope she dies knowing that this has never passed, despite her having tried to get it done at every opportunity.
She just doesn't quit. Always trying and failing. Maybe she just enjoys failure as this bill will never ever pass.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
For those who aren't aware of it, Dianne Frankenstein instroduces this bill almost every year without fail.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the exception of a grandfather clause, the bill reads nearly exactly like the New York safe act that was shoved down our throats in 2012/13.
The final nail in the coffin that made me leave.
Sure taxes cost of living and 6-8 months of winter also were factors but the safe act was the final straw

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post