SIGforum
Boat liability question - debating with a commie

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/140601935/m/3110006405

November 07, 2023, 06:06 PM
Fly-Sig
Boat liability question - debating with a commie
So this guy is claiming that a boat owner is liable for any damage caused by his boat, even if someone steals the boat from a private boathouse and then does something criminal with it.

Obviously his claim is gun owners should be held responsible if their gun is stolen and used by a criminal.

My internet search says no, but I would love some specificity.
November 08, 2023, 10:06 PM
jimb888
If someone steals your car and drives down a parade route over folks, you won't be going to jail for it will ya? You'll be happy to have insurance to fix the car, but unless you were somehow negligent, say let a serial drunk driver borrow it, insurance won't pay for the other damage.
November 09, 2023, 07:43 AM
WaterburyBob
I don't think that's the case with the boat, just like a car.

But it actually could be possible for the gun, depending on whether your state has a 'Safe Storage' law - and how it is worded.
You wouldn't be responsible for the actual crime, but there could be a penalty.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
November 09, 2023, 10:51 AM
smschulz
I don't know that just because you own something that it makes you automatically liable in every case.
I imagine the details matter.
January 08, 2024, 02:49 PM
DMK1
Representative Caleb Hemmer of Tennessee along with 12 co-sponsors, believes that the vehicle owner, not the criminal breaking into the vehicle should be held responsible and has introduced a bill. Of course, that will not pass in Tennessee at the current time, but that is changing rapidly.
I am surprised at the number of gun owners that support legislation like this.
January 11, 2024, 05:53 PM
grumpy1
How far could this crap go? If a perp looks in his recycle container on the curb and finds a glass bottle to use for a gasoline bomb and burns down a school full of kids should he be held liable?
January 11, 2024, 05:55 PM
grumpy1
quote:
Originally posted by DMK1:
Representative Caleb Hemmer of Tennessee along with 12 co-sponsors, believes that the vehicle owner, not the criminal breaking into the vehicle should be held responsible and has introduced a bill. Of course, that will not pass in Tennessee at the current time, but that is changing rapidly.
I am surprised at the number of gun owners that support legislation like this.

So you expect Tennessee to become a blue state before long where the dems control both state house and state senate?? That would be amazing as now the state house is 99 Republicans and 24 Democrats and state senate 27 and 6.