SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Boat liability question - debating with a commie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boat liability question - debating with a commie Login/Join 
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted
So this guy is claiming that a boat owner is liable for any damage caused by his boat, even if someone steals the boat from a private boathouse and then does something criminal with it.

Obviously his claim is gun owners should be held responsible if their gun is stolen and used by a criminal.

My internet search says no, but I would love some specificity.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone steals your car and drives down a parade route over folks, you won't be going to jail for it will ya? You'll be happy to have insurance to fix the car, but unless you were somehow negligent, say let a serial drunk driver borrow it, insurance won't pay for the other damage.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's the case with the boat, just like a car.

But it actually could be possible for the gun, depending on whether your state has a 'Safe Storage' law - and how it is worded.
You wouldn't be responsible for the actual crime, but there could be a penalty.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't know that just because you own something that it makes you automatically liable in every case.
I imagine the details matter.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Representative Caleb Hemmer of Tennessee along with 12 co-sponsors, believes that the vehicle owner, not the criminal breaking into the vehicle should be held responsible and has introduced a bill. Of course, that will not pass in Tennessee at the current time, but that is changing rapidly.
I am surprised at the number of gun owners that support legislation like this.

Posts: 13 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
How far could this crap go? If a perp looks in his recycle container on the curb and finds a glass bottle to use for a gasoline bomb and burns down a school full of kids should he be held liable?

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMK1:
Representative Caleb Hemmer of Tennessee along with 12 co-sponsors, believes that the vehicle owner, not the criminal breaking into the vehicle should be held responsible and has introduced a bill. Of course, that will not pass in Tennessee at the current time, but that is changing rapidly.
I am surprised at the number of gun owners that support legislation like this.

So you expect Tennessee to become a blue state before long where the dems control both state house and state senate?? That would be amazing as now the state house is 99 Republicans and 24 Democrats and state senate 27 and 6.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post