SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    SBR’s available in NJ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBR’s available in NJ? Login/Join 
posted
Just received a local flyer for an LGS advertising 12.5” and 11.5” ar type “weapon” for sale. They show them with ar pistol style braces instead of a stock, and flash hiders are now ok in this configuration. Does not seem to qualify as a rifle or a pistol, similar to the Mossberg Shockwave.

Has anyone else seen this setup in NJ? I feel like I am missing something here.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes they are currently legal in NJ and available in many gun shops. There was one change to the original approval, the muzzle device has to be pinned and welded.

Posts: 55 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Similar situation in CT.
Neither a rifle nor a pistol--classified as an "other" because of the brace.
Go to....
https://www.sb-tactical.com/wp...etter-Position-1.pdf

Posts: 2302 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After making some calls today and digging around the internet, it seems this is real. Not actually an SBR per say, but a work around that both the ATF and NJSP approve of.

While I am glad to see a few manufacturers find and exploit a loophole with our ridiculous laws, these things are stupid expensive in the current state of AR prices and availability.

At least us NJ folks can partake in a little SBRish fun now, if your willing to shell out what 2 standard ar’s cost.

Friggin’ Jersey...

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a point on pricing. Grab A Gun has a Ruger 10 1/2" AR pistol with brace for $599. They also have a SA Saint 7 1/2" AR Pistol, which I have and love for $750. I don't consider either very excessive.

Now if you insist on spending a fortune on a scope or Red Dot yes, that will really raise the price. I bought a Firefield nice scope that also has a laser for $129

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR pistols are on the “no go” list for NJ, so the price point for them is moot.

There is or was a Bushmaster Carbon pistol that’s the only one that qualifies for the weight restriction, but who wants to shoot a hand guard delete AR pistol?

No joy for us suckers still stuck in NJ.

-Jeff

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
"Other Firearm" is NJ legal.
Check out RTSP in Randolph or Union, they have a nice assortment.

I've handled and shot the Troy versions in 9mm and 5.56 and they are great handling.

ETA: apologies, the rest of my post didn’t take this morning. The guns are essentially an SBR type in 10.5 or 12” barrels, 9mm 5.56 or .300blk, screw on flash hider style on the 12”, collapsible pistol brace. All NJ legal as “Other Firearm”.
They all come with a required vert forend grip from the Mfg to meet that OF rating. I’m not an expert on all the specs, so please look into it deeper, but they are NJSP approved and for sale.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GCE61,

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post