SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    U.S.P.S. question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S.P.S. question Login/Join 
Picture of JamesD
posted
Fellows -

First I had no idea where to put this.
Please anyone move it to a better place if needed.

Now... POSTED JULY 2021

I have had numerous people tell me that there has been a VERY RECENT significant change in U.S.P.S. regulations concerning the MAILING of firearms.

Something like:
The U.S.P.S. will no longer ship ANY firearm.
FROM anybody.
TO anybody.
Licensee or non-licensee.
Period.
Full stop.

Even my local one horse town Post Mistress says this.

But I can find NO documentation ANYwhere.

Even my Post Mistress "said" this to me, but had no printed regulatory documentation to show me.

Does anyone KNOW of any RECENT changes.

And feel confident to state the exact CURRENT policy of the U.S.P.S. concerning
- licensee and non-licensee shipping of
- handguns, rifles, shotguns

?

My sincere thanks, in advance, to the knowledgeable SIGforum members for the reliable information which I can always count on getting.

JamesD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JamesD,

Let us to't pell-mell.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell.

- Richard III Act V, Scene III

Posts: 494 | Location: Georgia [up in the mountains] | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here are the current USPS regulations about mailing firearms. They have not changed recently. (The most recent updates to that publication of regulations were made in August 2020, and those had nothing to do with firearms.)

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

If you're having trouble mailing a firearm, you should refer your Postmaster to their copy of Publication 52, Section 432, and request that they adhere to USPS regulations.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With every shipper there are problems fed ex ups usps first some misinterpretation of the rules is commonplace, and they seem to dig in heels whenever you correct them, or pull out the regulation and show them.
Other staff simply are clueless and just say no out of reflex and there is no dealing with them
Also some locations seem to invent policy
For the most part winning that fight even though you are well within the regulations is almost impossible

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This type of misinformation often gets spread by anti-2A Postal Lobby workers and/or Postmasters who lose their mind when they are forced to ship a firearm. I am not saying what you posted could not happen, but given the fiscal status of the USPS, I don't think they are in a a position to give up this revenue source, especially from manufacturers.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Since its debunked, please change the title of the thread.

Whenever any US Postal Service employee makes such a pronouncement, make them produce the written documentation to back their claim.

If they can't then what they are saying is bullshit.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
With every shipper there are problems fed ex ups usps first some misinterpretation of the rules is commonplace, and they seem to dig in heels whenever you correct them, or pull out the regulation and show them.
Other staff simply are clueless and just say no out of reflex and there is no dealing with them
Also some locations seem to invent policy
For the most part winning that fight even though you are well within the regulations is almost impossible

Every point said here is so true.

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post