SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Concealed Carry on Metro (Train) in VA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed Carry on Metro (Train) in VA Login/Join 
posted
Is CCW legal on Metro (train) with a VA CCW permit while riding within VA on WMATA? I can’t find a good link.

Posts: 94 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Did you check https://handgunlaw.us/?

Click on VA. The PDF has a section of places off limits, even with a permit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Good resource, but nothing about Metro (WMATA) that I could find. Several years ago I understood that Metro followed laws of each state in which Metro traversed; however, a law office website indicated the opposite. Not sure which view is current. Somewhat related, in the past Metro Police would randomly search a passenger’s bags and backpacks, but not do a “pat-down” of the person.

Posts: 94 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Law abiding citizens are out of luck. I have family in Western MD and thought about carrying on Metro (under LEOSA) but never did. I cannot find the statue, just this from DC PD. It may apply only in DC.

Prohibited Places to Carry a Concealed Firearm

A public transportation vehicle, including the Metrorail transit system and its stations

https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/prohi...ry-concealed-firearm

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I found that same link.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Check the VCDL website, but I believe you can carry on METROBUS and METRORAIL, in both DC and Virginia, if you have a permit for that jurisdiction.

Travel entirely in Virginia is okay on a Concealed Handgun Permit recognized by the Commonwealth.

Travel entirely in DC is okay on a Concealed Handgun Permit issued by DC (DC has no reciprocity).

You cannot travel in DC on a Virginia permit or in Virginia on a DC permit.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31358 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can carry on Metrorail in VA. But don't get off at the Pentagon or Arlington Cemetery stops. You'll end up in federal facilities where carry is not legal. And don't ride Metro into DC where carry on Metro is prohibited.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Isn't Arlington considered a National Park, and carry would then be legal?

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I didn't know DC was issuing permits. Is it a normal type issuance process or more like dancing with Nazis ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8632 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I didn't know DC was issuing permits. Is it a normal type issuance process or more like dancing with Nazis ?

DC is a "shall issue" jurisdiction and has been issuing permits for several years. Requires 16 hours of classroom training plus 2 hours of "range related" training plus a range qualification. Permits are good for 2 years. Renewals require another 4 hours of classroom training plus another range qualification. Not quite a "normal" process compared to other "shall issue" states, but not that hard to get.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Isn't Arlington considered a National Park, and carry would then be legal?
The Metro doesn't enter Arlington National Cemetery (ANC), if that's what you are referring to. There is an Arlington Cemetery Metro stop/station, but you have to exit the station and then walk over to the entrance to ANC.

If you carry on the Metro, just don't fall asleep on the train and end up in DC. Eek

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the information is good. I would contact NRA and/or a Commonwealth attorney just to cover your self.

Posts: 1541 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post