SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A Man Called Otto (movie trailer)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Man Called Otto (movie trailer) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
This is available on Netflix now. I watched it last night, and enjoyed it.

Very well-acted, especially by the little neighbor lady. Tom Hanks is outstanding as usual. And it's a pretty touching story. It's a "comedy-drama", and while it's not laugh-out-loud funny, it's humorously charming in spots.

quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
They shoe horned in the Transgender virtue signaling minute.

Luckily, it's just one scene. So if you can bring yourself to get over that scene (involving Otto reluctantly allowing the paper delivery kid to crash on his couch after they tell him their Dad kicked them out of the house for being trans), it's an enjoyable film.

If it helps, it balances out the obligatory "wokeness" of that one scene with several scenes demonstrating how the "real men" of previous generations are superior to the useless wimpy hipster men of the modern generation.

So in terms of overall wokeness, it's a wash, and therefore not anywhere near overtly woke.

There's even an appearance by a pretty sweet shorter-barreled coach gun.

Kind of my take on it too (wife and I watched it the other night).

There was the "trans" person (let's be frank about it, there is a delusional person in it who wants to be accepted as delusional) which when taken by itself, can be considered delusional wokeness but in the context of Hanks' character, it seemed appropriate..

But.... on a whole, some great acting by Hanks and his neighbor across the street and, your house/room may get slightly dusty and cause some eye irritation at the end of the movie. Wink

BTW - my wife made the outrageous claim near the very beginning of the movie that it was about me. Not sure what she meant by that. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14084 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug:
Remake of "A Man Called Ove". A recent movie from Sweden.

The original Swedish movie was excellent! I suggest you watch it versus the new (and UN-improved) Hollywood version.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Watched on airplane. Was pleased with the mystery of Otto’s pain. Was disturbed by Otto’s response to pain. In the end things made sense. So, a decent movie.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5167 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rogueJSK describes the film well. My wife and I watched it two nights ago and both enjoyed it very much, her more than me probably because I had read the book and she hadn't. The trans character is very minor and kind of annoying for its woke nod but in the book, published in 2012, the character was gay so not really that much of a drift. Its a very small part of the story and doesn't detract much from what is otherwise a pretty good movie.

Posts: 564 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Outside of the pathetic woke trans sex part it was OK.
Sort of a bendable documentary.

Posts: 23066 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Outside of the pathetic woke trans sex part it was OK.
Sort of a bendable documentary.

My thoughts exactly.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12204 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
OK at best, a little over the top with the curmudgeoning. I had trouble getting past how often Hanks ended up looking like RFK Jr. in many scenes. Not a deal breaker buy kinda spooky.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8435 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was a decent watch as little is coming out. Very cheesy at times, and very predictable. But when viewed for what it is, some streaming movie, you could do worse. Expected more however.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12776 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Predictable, woke, and probably one of Tom Hank's worst choices to get involved in. He's a good enough actor, but I didn't find his character particularly interesting or compelling. I'm glad I didn't have to pay to view this.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10238 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch the original it is better.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We watched it last night - agree with above - they just had to throw a “transgender” scene in, even including the word “transgender”.

Besides that 60 seconds of my life I can’t get back and the fact I was totally annoyed, I otherwise liked the movie - not really what I was expecting.

MDS

Posts: 390 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the cat!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16256 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Pablam for the masses, enough drama to put a soft-edge on the story but, easy to watch. My geriatric parents had to tell me all about it over dinner one Sunday.

Posts: 14876 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grumpy Old Men is way better than this.

Posts: 1047 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I watched the Ove (Swedish) version and like it. Haven't watched the Otto one.

Posts: 9699 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
It's no longer on our "to watch" list.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16371 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I did feel the story telling in Ove was better. Hanks does ok but yeah.

They didn't screw it up, so there is that. I found it odd that they never show his wife in a wheel chair in the Hanks version.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3624 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I hit pause the second time they had to bring transgender wokeism into the story, I don't think I will finish the movie. Hollywood's moral of the story, we should all open our homes and allow a transgender teen to sleep on our couch.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1907 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to watching this last night. I enjoyed it, but I also agree with some of the complaints here...but not enough to turn it off. I thought the acting was good as well as the story line.

ETA: I saw that the guy who played Tommy....neighbor across the street is the Lincoln Lawyer.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38961 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post