SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A new distraction ...

Moderators: LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new distraction ... Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
It all started a few months ago when I thought my eldest daughter was moving back to her home town (but not in with us) ... I got this grand idea that my 15 year old grandson and I would build/rebuild him a car.

I always wanted to build a VW Baja bug ... Had a couple false starts back in the 70's. Bought a car, got started but never finished. Lack of funds and life got in the way ... Got married, so priorities changed for a while ... Got on track again then the previously mentioned eldest daughter burnt the house down ... Well it was a brick house but all that was left was a shell (when she was in kindergarten) ... In the late 80's, got divorced, got on track again with a red 1960 ragtop ... Got a 2100cc engine built, but then life got in the way again and sold the project.

Back to the "Present Day"
Started looking for a bug and a buddy found this one locally online, and it has the bones of exactly what I've envisioned except it doesn't have an engine, and he wanted more than I was willing to pay.

So I found & bought this one, a 1972 Super Beetle that needs lots of love ... it has the basic engine I want, a 1600 dual port, but had been sitting in a field for at least the last 2 years.

Well, as it turns out, my daughter settled in a town that about 45min to an hour away ... and the grandson, despite his claim to want to build it ... Really doesn't like to get dirty, or maybe just doesn't have an interest in this car ... yet!

Initially I was thinking this would be a parts car, pull the motor and other 12volt components for the 62 blue ragtop. After tinkering with it for about a month, it's now running, but still needs a lot of love but I started thinking I'd make this my Baja ... I can get a ragtop kit, a 7 piece Baja Kit (4fenders, hood, rear engine trim and front apron), front and rear cage's, 1 piece door glasses ... basically every thing I'd need to make it sorta like my vision for around $2500, and a LOT of work ... Except for its a "Super" which has struts in the front instead of the torsion front end like a standard bug ... which is much more durable for Baja-ing

As you may have surmised ... I'm back on track. And the guy with the '62 Blue called me; his "buyer" backed out ... we came to an understanding ... now I have 2 bugs ... the Baja will need paint, something nice with maybe ghost flames?

For the '72, I'm thinking keep the original "patina" and clear-coat it but it'll still need a ragtop and one-piece Windows ... maybe a 4" chop? And of course repair the huge holes in the floor pan that used to be steel but was reclaimed by salt, rust and life in the mid-west ... I'm bot sure where the 62 came from but it's had much better care as evidenced by a solid floor pan.

Anyway, my "fun money" will be going a different direction for the next few years, but who knows what the future will bring

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 4857 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
My uncle had the same color green bug in the early 80s. I remember being 8 or 9 years old and him taking us for rides.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun project to me.

Posts: 1180 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a lot of work and great fun

Posts: 11 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My 1st car was a '72 Super. Upgraded the motor as things wore out or broke.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 14755 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I put myself through college repairing them.

I've built more if those engines than I've had birthdays.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 31041 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Well, the insanity has begun ...

Ordered a pair of dual 40mm throat carbs, new rev limiting distributor with centrifugal advance, electronic ignition, Bosch Blue coil, blue wires, blue push-rod tubes, headers and exhaust & side rails ... oh, then there's the aluminum valve covers, degree'd crank pully and chrome air cleaners ... Can't forget the bling!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 4857 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post