SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
jhe888, I see you blue (very cool by the way) and I'll counter with my new blue.

My GO says hi. Love the Sixties series.

Poor man's GO Sixties in blue. Ball Trainmaster Eternity. Wink

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Since we are showing mid-century pieces - my younger son just graduated from college and my mother in law gave him his grandfather's Omega Centenary, from 1952 or so. It was presented to my father in law while he was stationed in Argentina for the U.S. Air Force, and even has his name on the face, as well as being engraved on the back of the case.

I think this watch must have been ordered from Omega as a custom piece. Aside from his name being printed on the dial, the engraving on the case completely replaces the usual Omega markings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
And my oldest son was given his grandfather's Rolex Datejust (1601). This is a late '60s or early '70s vintage watch. He has cleaned it up since this photo was taken and polished the crystal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ my father's Rolex was exactly like that one, except the crystal wasn't quite as scratched.

And he sold it for peanuts right before he was diagnosed with Alzheimers Frown

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Love the mid century stuff jhe888!

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Love the mid century stuff jhe888!

I'll put up a photo of my late '50s (maybe early '60s) Hamilton. It looks just like you think it would.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My Dad's Elgin. My Grandpa's Girard Perregaux. Both butchered by my local jeweler when I had them redialed.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ love these inheritance watches. That's one of my favorite things about watches, guns, good tools, etc.

My first decent watch is a seiko copy of that datejust.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Bottom feeding today. A $56 quartz Timex from Amazon.

I like the high-end stuff, but this is a hoot!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Wake this thread up with a little color!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I'll put up a photo of my late '50s (maybe early '60s) Hamilton. It looks just like you think it would.

I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Maybe I should snap a pic of my grandfather's (all-mechanical) Bulova for this portion of the show.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

I like it!

Here's my meager contribution to the thread:

The hands and indices are actually brighter white than it looks here; the flash reflecting on the crystal washed them out a bit.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
For some reason, rduckrow pics never show for me. Does anyone else have that problem with his pics, or is it just me?

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I use Fototime. Maybe that is the issue.

RMD

<EDIT> From Photobucket Can you see them?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rduckwor:

I like it!

Here's my meager contribution to the thread:

The hands and indices are actually brighter white than it looks here; the flash reflecting on the crystal washed them out a bit.

Nice. I like the red.

RMD

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, rduckrow pics never show for me. Does anyone else have that problem with his pics, or is it just me?

No problems for me.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see them now, just got a bunch of Ray Charles before the switch to Photobucket.

It's hard to believe that, even some 25 years into the Internet, compatibility is still an issue, but it is. Can you imagine what road traffic would be if the same mavericks were running it?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I always thought FotoTime worked fine.

I guess I will have to switch.

RMD

Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
New "watch"

This face looks fuzzy due to the screen protector.

The Apple Watch is convienent, but after purchasing the watch I wish I would have used the money for a nice classic watch.
I do like the nylon band from Apple, it breathes and it decent looking enough for my daily attire.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This thread needs a kick. This just in -- My new Braun!

As far as my quick research has indicated, this watch follows the design of Dieter Rams who studied at Wiesbaden School of Art from 1947 through 1953. He was an industrial designer of sorts who created a great catalog of work from Braun. I've also heard the style called Bauhaus, but I think that is at least sort-of incorrect as they are different German schools of art and design that operated in the same influential period.

I've been a fan of great industrial design for a long time insomuch that I've collected Henry Dreyfuss odds and ends as I followed my Mid Century Modern love (culminating in actually buying an MCM house and moving my family --- Yes... NUTS).

So, I don't know where I'm going with this. But for the price, at 38mm, and free two-day shipping delivering on a Sunday!.. How could I say no?

Yeah, it's a quartz, and probably not a particularly great one. But I like it. I think I'll put a Horween strap on it at 3x or 4x the value of the watch itself. Haha!

Dieter Rams had 10 principles for good design. His 10th follows my own passion for the Disciplined Pursuit of Less.

From Wikipedia
#10. - Is as little design as possible Less, but better because it concentrates on the essential aspects, and the products are not burdened with non-essentials. Back to purity, back to simplicity.