SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 90

Moderators: LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Prodigal Son
Picture of BrianO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mm6mm6: I also have a SUB 1200T Searambler and the very rare (only 50 made) SUB 1200T turquoise NUMA.


That turquoise face looks really nice. Got a close-up?
 
Posts: 413 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
This is a close as I've got right now on my computer:

 
Posts: 956 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
Picture of BrianO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mm6mm6:

I LOVE that shot; the idea of using matching peppermint and orange Tic-Tacs (I assume that's what they are) is ingenious.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianO,
 
Posts: 413 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
I LOVE that shot; they idea of using matching peppermint and orange Tic-Tacs (I assume that's what they are) is ingenious.

Thanks! I forget what flavor they were, but Tic Tac had a limited offering in the blue and I noticed they were the exact same hue as the turquoise NUMA. The NUMA logo in the lower left quadrant is very sharp. I need to take a closer photo of it one of these days. Only 50 made and I had to have one as a major Clive Cussler fan. The Diving With Legends watch on the right was limited to 99, with 24 of them given by Doxa to 24 living diving legends. So 24 of the best scuba divers on the planet wear this watch. Doxa kept 5 for themselves, which left just 70 for public sale. I was at the presentation back in 2009 just outside Chicago at the Our World Underwater show, so I had to have one! It has a helium release valve as well. Well, both of the SUB 1200T's have an HRV.
 
Posts: 956 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Well time to get serious about finding myself a Marathon medium TSAR. I really like the looks of the watch with the stainless bracelet. I want the "non sterile" dial, one that says U.S. Government on it.

Checked out the classified in the more popular watch forums, they are full of WTB ads for this model but none for sale. Already checked with Dave Truong, he's not a dealer for them.

So who are the reliable on line dealers. Island watch seems to have decent prices on them. Amazon? Don't know if counterfeits exist of these but with their popularity, it's possible.

Suggestions on a source or if anyone has one they want to sell, let me know.

Thanks!


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10190 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
Picture of BrianO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mm6mm6: The Diving With Legends watch on the right was limited to 99, with 24 of them given by Doxa to 24 living diving legends.

I wonder who made the list, and if Alec Peirce of Canada was one of them.
 
Posts: 413 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Well time to get serious about finding myself a Marathon medium TSAR. I really like the looks of the watch with the stainless bracelet. I want the "non sterile" dial, one that says U.S. Government on it.

Checked out the classified in the more popular watch forums, they are full of WTB ads for this model but none for sale. Already checked with Dave Truong, he's not a dealer for them.

So who are the reliable on line dealers. Island watch seems to have decent prices on them. Amazon? Don't know if counterfeits exist of these but with their popularity, it's possible.

Suggestions on a source or if anyone has one they want to sell, let me know.

Thanks!


Not mine.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f...-%24269-3885194.html
 
Posts: 7885 | Location: PA | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:


Not mine.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f...-%24269-3885194.html


Smoking deal but sanitized dial face. For the price, I shouldn't care but it would bug the heck out of me. Thanks!


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10190 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
http://www.chronoworld.com/new...s-300m-ww194007.html

https://www.topspecus.com/prod...-dive-watch-ww194007

Sadly, Countycomm does not appear to carry them any longer.

Let me know if you want me to place a WTB on Watchuseek.

RMD




Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.
 
Posts: 17874 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
What is the SF's hive mind consensus on homage watches? While I'm still relatively new to the watch fantatic world, I've certainly read enough debates on the subject to be familiar with each side's arguments. I am curious, though, to know what folks here -- who might be a bit more objective about such things than those on watch forums -- think about the subject.

Again, not fakes, not replicas, but true, clearly-marked homage watches. I'm awfully close to pulling the trigger on a Steinhart Ocean Black (probably aluminum bezel, not ceramic...possibly green bezel), which, as is immediately evident, is a homage to the Rolex Submariner:



My purpose is not to try to replicate the prestige of the Rolex or to bask in some sort of reflected glory and/or fool/impress others...I just simply love the clean, classic diver look of this very specfic Sub model (hence my focus on this particular homage Steinhart and not the others they offer), down to the Mercedes hands and the date cyclops. I could theoretically afford a Rolex Submariner, I suppose, but have absolutely no interest in spending that kind of cash on a watch, any watch...$400'ish, maybe $500 for the right watch/deal, is about my per watch limit (and, by coincidence, that's close to the pricetag on the Ocean Black), as aside from the whole cost-benefit / diminishing returns thing, it simply allows me to enjoy the watch, to be comfortable wearing the thing without the fear of scratches and other damage constantly playing in the back of my mind. I know there are cheaper homage Subs (e.g. Invicta and others), but I also appreciate the Swiss workings of the Steinhart and by most accounts they're fine watches in their own right.

Thoughts?
 
Posts: 4659 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Well time to get serious about finding myself a Marathon medium TSAR. I really like the looks of the watch with the stainless bracelet. I want the "non sterile" dial, one that says U.S. Government on it.

Checked out the classified in the more popular watch forums, they are full of WTB ads for this model but none for sale. Already checked with Dave Truong, he's not a dealer for them.

So who are the reliable on line dealers. Island watch seems to have decent prices on them. Amazon? Don't know if counterfeits exist of these but with their popularity, it's possible.

Suggestions on a source or if anyone has one they want to sell, let me know.

Thanks!


Try here Brad, they run deals at discount semi-yearly.

https://www.topspecus.com/coll...2c&mc_eid=02349de570
 
Posts: 320 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
What is the SF's hive mind consensus on homage watches? While I'm still relatively new to the watch fantatic world, I've certainly read enough debates on the subject to be familiar with each side's arguments. I am curious, though, to know what folks here -- who might be a bit more objective about such things than those on watch forums -- think about the subject.

Again, not fakes, not replicas, but true, clearly-marked homage watches. I'm awfully close to pulling the trigger on a Steinhart Ocean Black (probably aluminum bezel, not ceramic...possibly green bezel), which, as is immediately evident, is a homage to the Rolex Submariner:



My purpose is not to try to replicate the prestige of the Rolex or to bask in some sort of reflected glory and/or fool/impress others...I just simply love the clean, classic diver look of this very specfic Sub model (hence my focus on this particular homage Steinhart and not the others they offer), down to the Mercedes hands and the date cyclops. I could theoretically afford a Rolex Submariner, I suppose, but have absolutely no interest in spending that kind of cash on a watch, any watch...$400'ish, maybe $500 for the right watch/deal, is about my per watch limit (and, by coincidence, that's close to the pricetag on the Ocean Black), as aside from the whole cost-benefit / diminishing returns thing, it simply allows me to enjoy the watch, to be comfortable wearing the thing without the fear of scratches and other damage constantly playing in the back of my mind. I know there are cheaper homage Subs (e.g. Invicta and others), but I also appreciate the Swiss workings of the Steinhart and by most accounts they're fine watches in their own right.

Thoughts?


Straight ripoff from a crappy company. If I wanted a budget auto, I'd pick the Seiko I liked best, and be perfectly happy owning a high quality watch from a great company with a long and proud history in the business.

Not a Steinhart ripoff of the Sub.

I hope you don't take that as an insult, you didn't make the watch after all. It appeals to guys who like the look of the Sub but for various reasons will not or cannot buy the real thing. I get it. After all, it's a timeless classic of a design.

That said, the whole notion is off putting that some watch company can't make a name for itself, and has to pay the bills by ripping off others. That's not something I'd support, personally.

Steinhart brings nothing to the table other than a cheap copy. There are lots of sub-$1,000 autos out there from companies who innovate, create their own designs, and have something of value to offer the consumer.

Anyway, you asked for thoughts, and I'm not one to mince words. You worked for the money that paid for the watch, so only you have to enjoy wearing it (and I hope that you do, in good health!)

After owning several Omega, Breitling, IWC, and other watches (including G-Shocks and a couple of cheap Seiko autos), my next will be a no-date Sub, I think. I figure that Rolex holds my money, I get the watch, and should the need arise, I'll get most of that money back. Rolex watches are like guns, buy them well, and you won't ever lose much on it.

And again, I truly hope you don't take my negative views personally, nothing against you at all. You asked, otherwise I'd just keep my mouth shut Smile


-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars
 
Posts: 2507 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with homage watches. There are some beautiful design cues that can become available for the average guy through homage, why not. I don't use them, as they don't feel right (not morally, but actually -- they don't connect to me). To my eye, they just look all together wrong. But if they work for someone, and bring them joy, have at it.
 
Posts: 7885 | Location: PA | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SVTNate:
I truly hope you don't take my negative views personally, nothing against you at all. You asked, otherwise I'd just keep my mouth shut Smile


Not at all -- the fact that I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the Steinhart and am soliciting opinions here is precisely because I'd like to get a more objective set of opinions -- good or bad -- than I read on watch forums (many members of whom appreciate Steinhart but others clearly do not for the reasons you outline)...so I appreciate your thoughts. Trust me, if I was 100% sure of my position on the subject of homage watches, I would have a Steinhart on my wrist right now. Smile
 
Posts: 4659 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I'm going to take the opposite side. I like Steinhart.

I have had two and still own one of them. They make other watches aside from a few that like like famous Rolex models. Nevertheless, I will eventually buy one of their GMT homage watches.

What's not to like?

You get a decent watch with a quality Swiss movement that meets your needs and serves the purpose that you need a watch to serve. So what if it looks like some other watch?

I would not buy a $10K watch when I could do so many other things with that money and would probably be afraid to ever wear the watch.

If you are concerned about quality, don't worry, they are good enough watches. Don't expect a decorated movement, etc. You will not get that at this price point.

Good Luck,

RMD




Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.
 
Posts: 17874 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
Picture of BrianO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor: I like Steinhart. ...I have had two and still own one of them.

I'm on the fence about getting an Ocean One for actual diving. Can you tell me what the lume is like?
 
Posts: 413 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor: I like Steinhart. ...I have had two and still own one of them.

I'm on the fence about getting an Ocean One for actual diving. Can you tell me what the lume is like?


Cannot speak to that one as I have never had one. I have the Triton 100 and the lume is outrageous of course. I had the OVM GMT and the Lume was decent. Watchuseek has a Steinhart forum and you can check there.

RMD




Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.
 
Posts: 17874 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
The lume on the Ocean is, by the reviews I've read, decent at best. It seems to be just about the only Ocean shortcoming on which both the supporters and critics can agree. I don't dive, so it hasn't been a factor In my consideration. I have a number of mid-grade Seikos with fantastic lume, so I'm prepared for the Steinhart to be a disappointment in that regard.
 
Posts: 4659 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Well time to get serious about finding myself a Marathon medium TSAR. I really like the looks of the watch with the stainless bracelet. I want the "non sterile" dial, one that says U.S. Government on it.

Checked out the classified in the more popular watch forums, they are full of WTB ads for this model but none for sale. Already checked with Dave Truong, he's not a dealer for them.

So who are the reliable on line dealers. Island watch seems to have decent prices on them. Amazon? Don't know if counterfeits exist of these but with their popularity, it's possible.

Suggestions on a source or if anyone has one they want to sell, let me know.

Thanks!


I purchased my GSAR from Chris at Wilson Watch Works. They are a Marathon AD.

https://wilsonwatchworks.share...s/MarathonWatch.aspx


...that I will support
and defend...
 
Posts: 488 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
British by birth,
American by Choice
Picture of Longbow_06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
The lume on the Ocean is, by the reviews I've read, decent at best. It seems to be just about the only Ocean shortcoming on which both the supporters and critics can agree. I don't dive, so it hasn't been a factor In my consideration. I have a number of mid-grade Seikos with fantastic lume, so I'm prepared for the Steinhart to be a disappointment in that regard.

I own 4 of them, and despite what some say, they aren't a bad watch. The Lume is a little lacking, but other than that I wear them all for work, and swimming. I've even chopped wood in one, and they keep on ticking and keep good time.
You'll find pix on page 68 and 69 of this thread.


______________

I will NOT Sit Down !

"There are many who vehemently argue something CAN'T be done.
They should stay out of the way of folks who are doing it."

 
Posts: 2834 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 90 
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread

© SIGforum 2017