SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Rduckwo - is it a Seiko movment in the Helm?

I like the way they handle the date window. The ring around the window at 6 o'clock maintains the design of the face by not completely eliminating one hour marker or by having a free floating date window.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I like the way they handle the date window. The ring around the window at 6 o'clock maintains the design of the face by completely eliminating one hour marker or by having a free floating date window.

I'm not Rduckwo Wink, but to answer your question... yes, they use the NH35 and the NH38 (for the no date). They have 3 models so far, the Khuraburi, Komodo & Vanuatu.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
quote:

I like the way they handle the date window. The ring around the window at 6 o'clock maintains the design of the face by completely eliminating one hour marker or by having a free floating date window.

I'm not Rduckwo Wink, but to answer your question... yes, they use the NH35 and the NH38 (for the no date). They have 3 models so far, the Khuraburi, Komodo & Vanuatu.

Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Correct. Apparently they do not simply throw parts together and sell the watch, but do some movement adjustment and timing as mine have all been very accurate to date. Unusual for mass produced Asian models in my experience. I have all three Helm models. Well made.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Helm uses regulated NH movements. Mine has been VERY accurate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Coming in at only 38mm this gorgeous 2006 Squale 20atmos Corallo chronograph is one of my smallest dive watches. It is also arguably one of the best looking divers I own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
If I haven't said it before, that is a REALLY good looking watch. I like everything about it from the shape of the bezel to the font on the print on the face. Isn't that the one using the old stock chronograph movements? Squale knocked that out of the park.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Coming in at only 38mm this gorgeous 2006 Squale 20atmos Corallo chronograph is one of my smallest dive watches. It is also arguably one of the best looking divers I own.
[/url]

That is cool looking stickman, the rounded case with pushers is very reminiscent of the vintage diver's helmets, which is appropriate for a diver watch.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. I’m not typically smitten by Squale watches but yeah, they indeed knocked it out of the park with this little thing. The aesthetics as well as the Valjoux 7750 movement was a huge reason why I pulled the trigger. You don’t often see divers with Valjoux 7750 movements in 38mm. As Gnomon states on their website this watch has the perfect blend of retro and modern. Retro looks, size, and components mixed with new components and seals as well as a warranty. Cool

copaup, it is indeed the Gnomon exclusive that is using new old stock parts in its construction. From Gnomon’s website:

“Many vintage Squale models have proven to be timeless, being evident in modern releases that is fitting even for the modern connoisseur. With this in mind, Squale assembled their 200m sports utility chronograph - The Squale 20 ATMOS Corallo Chronograph Blue Ref. 2006 - Limited to 20 pieces, exclusive from Gnomon Watches. With the struck of luck, a batch of 20 cases and dials were found in Squale’s headquarter in Milan Italy inside their new old stock (NOS) inventory. These parts from the 1980s were utilized to meticulously craft a beautiful masterpiece with contemporary upgrades for a functional and worry-free vintage watch experience.”

Link to Gnomon’s website for more info

Gnomon now has a white dial version available too. It looks fantastic in white.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
While I'm trying to figure out which Seamaster I'm going to pull the trigger on, I've also developed a strong desire for either a type b flieger or a field watch. Automatic, of course. I was tempted to just order a Seiko SNZG, and at $136, I can't believe I'm not just ordering this instead of typing, but then I checked out Long Island Watch and they have this beauty for $189 with AR coated sapphire and a cleaner dial with no day complication. So I take a look at their pilot watches and damn near order this one on the spot... and then I noticed the hour hand extends outside the hour track. I'm trying to decide if that actually bugs me or not, but I do wish Mark had gone with a shorter hour hand. I really like the full lumed dial, though.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
While I'm trying to figure out which Seamaster I'm going to pull the trigger on, I've also developed a strong desire for either a type b flieger or a field watch. Automatic, of course. I was tempted to just order a Seiko SNZG, and at $136, I can't believe I'm not just ordering this instead of typing, but then I checked out Long Island Watch and they have this beauty for $189 with AR coated sapphire and a cleaner dial with no day complication. So I take a look at their pilot watches and damn near order this one on the spot... and then I noticed the hour hand extends outside the hour track. I'm trying to decide if that actually bugs me or not, but I do wish Mark had gone with a shorter hour hand. I really like the full lumed dial, though.

I rather like that feature. I suspect that it would make reading the time at a glance easier.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Speaking of field watches... I've heard good things about Hamilton, so I picked one up a couple of weeks ago. So far, I’m impressed… liking the 80 hour power reserve and, after setting it when I first got it, it’s only gained about 12 seconds. Paired it up with an extra watchband that came with my Sinn 104 and never used. I also dig the red pointer on the second hand Wink

Abraham Lincoln

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I like that Hamilton, Tooky. They definitely get recommended here enough to warrant paying some attention to.

quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I rather like that feature. I suspect that it would make reading the time at a glance easier.

RMD

Yeah, when viewed as a feature rather than an oversight, it makes more sense from a design standpoint. It's a minor aesthetic niggle for me, and I like the rest of it enough that I can overlook it or be fine with it. It's almost like a pressure gauge - it's all tool, no dressing. It's the kinda watch that would seem appropriate to wear while working in a machine shop, as I do.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Tookey, that Hamilton is a beauty

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Hamilton is a SWATCH brand, so they get the good ETA movements.

Hamilton is their Field/Tool line where Longines is their dress line of watches.

I love that Hamilton field watch. That red tip seconds hand is a nod to the 1950s.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of field watches... I've heard good things about Hamilton, so I picked one up a couple of weeks ago. So far, I’m impressed… liking the 80 hour power reserve and, after setting it when I first got it, it’s only gained about 12 seconds. Paired it up with an extra watchband that came with my Sinn 104 and never used. I also dig the red pointer on the second hand Wink

That's probably my favorite Hamilton I've ever seen. I've never been a huge fan but that one is great.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Hamiltons...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I was tempted to just order a Seiko SNZG, and at $136, I can't believe I'm not just ordering this instead of typing,

I don't think you can go wrong with the SNZG. I bought one sort of on a whim, and I can't find a thing to fuss about. Heck, its power reserve lasts longer than that of my Seiko Sea Urchin. But anyway... at $136, you could have it too. Just sayin'. Wink

- - -

Gotta love that full-face glow on the Long Island model you showed!

- - -

Tooky, that white-faced Hamilton is a beauty!

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Tooky13, that is a beautiful Hamilton! Their field watches are just exquisite! I have a few myself that I just adore.

I am QUITE Tempted to get the blacked out Jack Ryan chrono currently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm almost all-Seiko now, but I'm way tempted to bring a Hamilton Khaki back into the mix.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post