SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 ... 474
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I have my eye on the Planet Ocean 39.5mm Cool

I have a pretty small wrist.

White or black/orange? Hmmm. I’m not too fond of the Harley colors so I’m actually considering the ceramic white one. It’s not one I’d sell so resale value and ease of sale later is of no concern to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
No guesses on that lume shot? Anyone?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
A real Hesalite Speedy is one of the few still on my list.

The one I've coming is the best of both worlds!!! Hesalite front, sapphire back, and a gilt movement! Circa 1994 Apollo XI Omega Speedmaster Professional.

And the Bathyscaphe departs... And another day added onto our series!

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
No guesses on that lume shot? Anyone?

I got nuthin'. How about Halios?

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
While it wasn't a vintage cal. 321, it was a fine example of a tritium-dial hesalite-crystal Omega Speedmaster Professional, and.... I let it go. I'm in the process of rectifying that error now.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's a fine looking IWC, and the Tri-Motor earns bonus points Cool

I think if I were to spend big(er) money on a nice watch, an Omega Speedmaster would be near the top of the list.

The carbon fiber VB77 Oris would probably be on the short list as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15367 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of the Mickey dive watch with a bezel.

My watch guy said the movement is "pin lever garbage".

Not wasting his time or my money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
tritium-dial hesalite-crystal Omega Speedmaster Professional

That was my grail watch as a newly commissioned naval officer. But my young family needs and budget made acquisition a non-starter. As I've posted earlier I settled for a Seiko "Jumbo" 6138-3009 which I still have and enjoy.

Never did acquire one. Heuer and Sinn Lemania 5100 chronos seduced me instead. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yeah, every time I see a Speedmaster I get the itch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Yeah, every time I see a Speedmaster I get the itch.

It's so iconic, that it really is a quintessential watch to me.

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I've been working my butt off lately and this month is my birthday month so instead of selling or trading something I had an itch for something new.

Thought I might like another Breitling but nothing was speaking to me. Saleslady said maybe let's see if we have something else in the store (a two-story beast in Kowloon).

Got to the Ball section and immediately I knew what I wanted. The Fireman Storm.

I'm loving the white on black, the skeletonized hands and the red in the stopwatch start crown and stitching.

My first Ball, and I am loving it!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1774 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Posting from my phone, so trying a bigger version that is less pixelated.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1774 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I was very pleased with the one Ball I'd owned. A lot of bang for the buck! A Chronograph day/date with power reserve and tritium, LoveIt!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
On todays Grand Tour post we have my first and only Grand Seiko, the "Historical 62GS" model SBGR095G. This was a Limited Edition and certainly was a splendid execution of everything that Grand Seiko is all about. Turns out I personally don't like what Grand Seiko is all about. In real life, it felt cold and shrill. The angular and mirror bright Zaratsu polishing is impeccable. And yet, angular and mirror bright Zaratsu polishing just wasn't my bag. The size was great at 37.6mm

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I have my eye on the Planet Ocean 39.5mm Cool

I have an Aqua Terra 39.5 and it absolutely is the sweet spot for a watch size.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34137 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Here's a picture of the Mickey dive watch with a bezel.

My watch guy said the movement is "pin lever garbage".

Not wasting his time or my money.

Pin levers can be a real PITA to get running well after service. Igersoll made a a lot of pin lever "MM" watches that were basically "use up and throw away".

Nice example of a "MM".

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20324 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
No one guessed the lume shot correctly!

I suppose it is sort of an obscure watch. The one YouTube review I could find turned out to be the previous owner of my exact watch. Big Grin

Geckota G-02 diver with an ETA 2824-2 that is consistently at +2 seconds a day. I love the reflective aluminum orange bezel insert that is sunken under a layer of epoxy. The whole watch has a neat retro vibe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I really like Glycine’s new Combat Sub Vintage 42. The sand dial is gorgeous and the 10.5mm thick case makes for a super slim and comfy everyday watch. It came with a rubber strap but I swapped it out with a spare OEM PVD Combat sub bracelet that I had laying around.

The old school logo is also much better looking than the winged version. Cool

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/oaLFTALgmE0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I know Glycine’s acquisition by Invicta has soured some watch enthusiasts view of the brand but I have to argue maybe it isn’t such a bad thing. To Invicta it is sort of a top tier within their corporate umbrella. All are powered by Sellita SW200 movements and going by my experience with two of the new vintage 42 Combat subs and a well broken in Red Radar Combat sub with red numerals and red hands on an all black dial I have to say they still make good watches that are worth owning. My Red Radar rivals my Omega Seamaster when it comes to practical accuracy, meaning what kind of accuracy you can expect if you wear the watch 24/7....maybe I got a damn good example but it’s consistently at -1 to -3 seconds from atomic time depending on how active I am.

I have a 1995 Glycine Combat 50m on its way to me. It has an ETA 2824-2 so it should be plenty reliable and easy to maintain. At 43mm it’s a bit large for a field watch for my tiny wrist but it should be a great addition to my watch rotation and ever expanding bull pen of daily watches. Big Grin I wear a watch on both wrists now Stormin Norman style.

On a sunny day the sand dial reflects bits of blue from the sky. (I have a blue sand dial version and I figured it was just the blue dial but my black one does it too!!! Cool It’s hands down one of the best dials I own on a watch. I like the subtle bits of red and gold on the watch. I think it’s one of my more aesthetically pleasing dive watches in my collection. The 4 o’clock date window is pretty cool too.

I am LOVING my new Glycine acquisition!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Mars_Attacks, that Omega is gorgeous. I love a good silver dial diver in the rotation. They are a great all rounder and able to handle fun in the sun as well as a more formal event. I love it!! Very nice watch!

I have a silver dial Tissot Seastar that fills my more formal event attire and works fine as a beater for some fun in the sun on a beach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~