SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Is the movement used in this watch the one Rolex used before they had their own movement for the Daytona?

Yep! "The first batch of automatic Daytona watches housed the Rolex Caliber 4030, which was based on the El-Primero Caliber 400 by Zenith." They tuned the rate down to 28,800 and removed the date function. More info here:

https://www.bobswatches.com/ro...th-daytona-dial.html

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Question.
Is the movement used in this watch the one Rolex used before they had their own movement for the Daytona?

Yes, Rolex used the Valjoux 72 before that.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Panerai used it in the 72, among others.

Highly regarded movement.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Got this back from the spa in Frankfurt Monday.

I was setting the time @ 8:30p one evening and ... crunch...Day no longer auto advanced.

I suppose I learned a lesson there, the documentation said not to do this after 9p, but I guess any time after 7p would be best avoided. 7750 is new to me, but I'm learning.

While it was there and since it had to be opened up, I asked them to regulate it. +10/day seemed a bit much for such a piece. Rock solid +10 every day no matter what made me think it was a capable of chronometer accuracy. Now it is +3/day. I can live with that. Smile

Here's a side by side with my blue watches, quite different.

Not a Nat Geo plate to be sure, mostly a color comparison.

The Sinn is a more staid and mature blue, the Seiko is electric with no apologies.

The Seiko is running -2/day, so again - no complaints. Luck of the draw sometimes.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Got this back from the spa in Frankfurt Monday.

Yowser. You sent your Sinn all the way back to Germany for servicing? Just how expensive was this?

In years past I've used highly regarded stateside watchrepairmen (a breed fast dying out sadly) and Sinn authorized US service centers (no idea who is designated these days), but I've never sent any of my Sinns back to Germany. Hence my query. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
It's like this...

I contacted Sinn direct, it's an option with every Sinn sold in America. When I broke the auto day advance, it had to be serviced and my bad, I planned to pay for the repair.

Sinn sent me a shipping label, did the repairs and regulation, sent it back and no charge.

Cost me nothing!

The stateside dealer and authorized service left a foul taste in my mouth, a sentiment apparently common among those that have dealt with them, and for good reason. I wrote and then deleted my experience with them here, but suffice to say I wouldn't wish to deal with either of them ever again.

Sinn stands behind their product. I can not say enough in their favor!

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snapping twig. Good to know.
My "go to" watchrepairman has recently retired. Haven't used a Sinn authorized center in over 2 decades.

edited to correct spelling error

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I sent Sinn an email thanking them and included a promise to spread the word on their company morality.

People need to know who the good guys are.

posted Hide Post
Thought I would add my modest and recently acquired Sinn to this fine watch thread...

It's this years limited edition from Sinn ... A pilots blue face and blue bezel along with Ivory indices,hands and numerals. The Ivory is a "homage" to an earlier time.

To show the sunburst effect it was necessary to photograph the watch in strong lighting which does create perhaps too much glare and contrast. I missed last years limited edition in green by a few days and when Sinn announced this years in February at their show I ordered the same day.

I lucked out as Blue on Blue is my favorite combination of colors on many things in my life.

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Very nice Sinns guys! There's one I've never had!

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

Yep! "The first batch of automatic Daytona watches housed the Rolex Caliber 4030, which was based on the El-Primero Caliber 400 by Zenith." They tuned the rate down to 28,800 and removed the date function. More info here:

https://www.bobswatches.com/ro...th-daytona-dial.html

Thank You.
The article you posted was very interesting.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Limited version of El Primero.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xrocket:
Thought I would add my modest and recently acquired Sinn to this fine watch thread...

It's this years limited edition from Sinn ... A pilots blue face and blue bezel along with Ivory indices,hands and numerals. The Ivory is a "homage" to an earlier time.

To show the sunburst effect it was necessary to photograph the watch in strong lighting which does create perhaps too much glare and contrast. I missed last years limited edition in green by a few days and when Sinn announced this years in February at their show I ordered the same day.

I lucked out as Blue on Blue is my favorite combination of colors on many things in my life.

Is that a 103? I ask because it has a count up and count down bezel depending. The 104 has a count down bezel but I can't recall if they made a colored bezel.

posted Hide Post
Snapping Twig the actual nomenclature is ...

104 St SA A B E

The bezel can move in both direction. This is a first for Sinn having both a color matching face and bezel other than black I believe.

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

I have only seen the 103 version of that blue bezel/dial. It was earlier this year IIRC.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My first foray into vintage. Hamilton Super-Compressor 600, This was SO clean, and so cheap in that day. Ran great too! They used to call this class of watch the Skindiver. Quite a buzz around skindivers in that era. Jacques Cousteau and all.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Hamilton is nice. I wonder if my grandmother worked on it. She worked at Hamilton making watches until her retirement in the early or middle '70s.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
very nice looking piece

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
WW2 Red Air Force pilot's watch. Pocket watch movement, paper dial. Stalin spared no expense. 2 in the background going for service. Picking 2 up I'll post later this weekend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My first eBay watch. Wanted to try one of these. Accutron of some sort. For those not familiar, it uses a caliber 218 movement, an early analog electronic oscillation to actuate the movement. Not quartz, not a balance spring. Guessing circa 1970s.

You could actually hear it hum. But it was ghastly boring in every other way. So I ditched it.