SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
There! All that obvious Rolexing out of the way, we go the wandering path of the watch-nerd. For today's installment of "all the watches I've ever owned (in order)" -- A sign of the times (2011), this model is still making news a decade later with differing dial colors sufficing for creativity. Meh. The original Glashutte Original Senator Sixties in 39mm was pretty fine right out of the gate.

Dial close up provided to illustrate the fact that the indices are not applied, but rather Cut into the dial, and the divot is then plated gold. Very nice approach in appearance. I loved the curve of the dial and crystal. The watch should be 37 or 38mm and the crystal is still a little flat over the top. That needs work on my opinion. The calibre 39 movement is pretty sweet for the money, but I'd prefer a manual wound in a watch such as this. Still.. The Sixties is a great watch and we'll see one of these again sometime in this progression.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
r0gue, do you still have that gorgeous blue-faced Glashutte?

Long gone. But it will appear here in a few weeks.

Of the 227 pages in this thread, that was easily one of my favorites.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Check back in 18 days! Smile

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
rOgue, that Rolex is gorgeous! I am shocked at the watches you have owned and sold. I suppose I am too nostalgic...I’d have a VERY hard time parting with a Rolex like that one.

I've been spending the same money over and over again (with some added to the kitty through the decades). It's the way in which I've been able to own and experience so many watches. And as you can see, I still own them ALL in my iPhonos library and albums.

I'm actually kind of surprised to see how poor my early watch photos were. I've gotten much better over the years. I'm sure the ever improving iPhone plays a part.

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
^^^ I was getting ready to ask what camera you use and then I saw the reflection of your iPhone in the last Glashutte photo Smile

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Good eye!

Beautiful watches, r0gue! Look forward to more!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
^^^ Good eye!

Beautiful watches, r0gue! Look forward to more!

Somewhere in this stack of memories s one that went to you. Shhhh.... I'll pick a good shot when I post it!

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Smile

And I keep my eye on the classifieds for others....though not the current one.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Next up: Into the Mod world! This is (was) my "Yobokies 10:00 MoDster". What was once a Seiko Orange Monster. Bead blasted bracelet, new dial, hands and crystal. Loved this one. But I cannot abide a watch with a 7S26 movement. No hack, no manual wind. I'd rather it be quartz...

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A little late posting yesterday's episode of the "All all the watches I've ever owned" tour. And a little early today, so back-to-back.

The Girard Perregaux "Vintage 1945", ref. 2593. This watch wore wonderfully and felt like a tribute to my Grandfather's own GP which was handed down to me and waits for the day when I will pass it along to my son. While I loved this one, I ended up trading it in when the cal. 3200 movement started running really fast.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next up: Into the Mod world! This is (was) my "Yobokies 10:00 MoDster". What was once a Seiko Orange Monster. Bead blasted bracelet, new dial, hands and crystal. Loved this one. But I cannot abide a watch with a 7S26 movement. No hack, no manual wind. I'd rather it be quartz...

I don't like the 7S26 for those reasons, either. Cool looking, but why did he turn the case upside down and put the stem on the left hand side?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those 7S26 watches can be swapped over to the NH35A pretty easily and then you have hacking and hand winding.

Would really like that done on my SKX011J with its tired 7S26 works (Oct 2000 vintage, never serviced and now running very fast. In need of service... or replacement), but it is beyond my capabilities. And I'm clueless as to who and how much such a swap might run. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
bald1, I got my NH35A powered SKX007 from Mad Mod World. (Day/date delete)

I am not sure if they would swap a new movement in for you but you could ask them. They have a few watch configurators and can build you a pretty cool custom Seiko at a dang fair price. Check out their website. Mad Mod World

A new NH36 (unbranded 4R36) isn’t that expensive $30-40 and the labor isn’t too hard from what I’ve read. I have not done it myself yet but I believe a few members here have and hopefully they will chime in. I’ll do some digging and see if I can find anyone who could do the swap for you. Adding hacking and hand winding really improves the SKX.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1: never serviced and now running very fast.

Going 20 years without service is like driving your car 100,000 miles without an oil change. All kinds of bad things can be happening.

One of the problems can be the amount of "swing" of the balance wheel, called the amplitude. In theory, the watch's rate should remain constant regardless of amplitude (called isochronism), but in practice that is seldom the case. Dried up oil on the pivots of the wheels (gears) can also affect the rate, as can a sticky hairspring. ESPECIALLY a sticky hairspring, as that effectively makes the hairspring shorter, which makes a watch run faster.

I'd suggest getting an estimate on a complete service and see if it's within your comfort limits, and if so get it done. If cleaning and re-lubricating doesn't fix the rate, it can be adjusted by the watchmaker while it's open.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianO,

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:

Going 20 years without service is like driving your car 100,000 miles without an oil change. All kinds of bad things can be happening.

Oh I'm well aware of what the lack of service can do despite the 7S26 reputation for running years on end without.

Simply stated the cost of servicing this watch has always been greater than what I paid for it to begin with. I routinely have my more expensive watches (e.g. Sinn, Heuer, Omega, etc.) regularly serviced.

But now that the SKX series has been discontinued, the notion of infusing new life in my sample has tweaked my interest.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
bald1,
I got my NH35A powered SKX007 from Mad Mod World.
I am not sure if they would swap a new movement in for you but you could ask them.
I’ll do some digging and see if I can find any members who could do the swap for you. Adding hacking and hand winding really improves the SKX.

Appreciate this, thanks!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you for that picture! Now I'm really tempted to have the bracelet on my Seiko PADI bead blasted. I love the matte look.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This one was worth keeping. Of course... I didn't. Confused I kept it a long while though.

Something of a masterpiece. The Zenith El Primero. This one was something of a re-edition which while still offered today, had some slightly more appealing features out of the gate than it does in its current form.

All however, host a Calibre El Primero 400 column wheel chronograph movement with 278 components and 31 jewels rocking a 36,000 VpH beat rate.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The El Primero is a masterpiece. The apex of watchmaking.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one was worth keeping. Of course... I didn't. Confused I kept it a long while though.

Something of a masterpiece. The Zenith El Primero. This one was something of a re-edition which while still offered today, had some slightly more appealing features out of the gate than it does in its current form.

All however, host a Calibre El Primero 400 column wheel chronograph movement with 278 components and 31 jewels rocking a 36,000 VpH beat rate.

Question.
Is the movement used in this watch the one Rolex used before they had their own movement for the Daytona?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post