SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealed carry and traffic stops
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed carry and traffic stops Login/Join 
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
In PA, it does not automatically pop up that the person has a LTCF. I believe the dispatched has to run the info through another screen.

At first, they did this automatically, then they put a stop to that. The officer had to request that info. Then, they changed it yet again and I think they run the screen and tell the officer about the LCTF.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3158 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Not sure what information the dispatcher may see on their screen.
But on the computer in the patrol units the ccw permit comes up on the screen when the driver license is ran.

The thing that has changed is when the vehicle registration is checked the owners driver license information does not come up on its own. You must now do a separate entry for the driver license information.

You are no longer allowed to use Probable cause for the traffic stop based on a registration check and the driver license information would automatically come up and may show a suspended driver.
The problem was that the driver of the vehicle may not be the registered owner of the vehicle who has the suspended driver license in the Great Commonwealth of Pa

Posts: 1035 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
That is ridiculous. I'm glad we don't have to disclose in Alabama.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 6321 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both times I had contact with LE for minor traffic related issues while carrying, the officer/deputy didn’t care and hardly skipped a beat when I disclosed. The first time, I suspect it actually got me OUT of a ticket for doing 15 over.

Posts: 739 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a 25 year Ohio LEO and I also teach the CHL classes. I tell my students that as an LEO, most tend to get a little jumpy when someone blurts out they have a gun. I suggest that they advise the officer that they have a CHL first and then advise that they are carrying a handgun.

I have never removed someone from the car and disarmed them(other than people that were not carrying legally). Only once did I get snippy with someone when I ran his license, (he was not the registered owner) and learned that he had a CHL. When I asked him if he was carrying he said "yeah". I asked him why had had not informed me of that little bit of info and he stated that his instructor never told him of that. I advised him that it was in the booklet as well, to which he replied he didn't read it.

I let him know that instead of seizing his pistol, confiscating his CHL, and arresting him, I was just going to cite him for the traffic violations, gave him another copy of the booklet on the CHL laws and suggest that he read it, as it will save him some big problems down the road.

As far as Troopers are concerned, they have opposed Ohio's concealed carry since it was enacted.

Browning Buckmark Target, Colt Junior, Colt .22 Target Model, Colt Trooper, Colt Gov't Model, Colt Competition Model, CZ Scorpion EVO, S&W 625(.45 Colt), S&W 642, Sig P229R, P290RS, Beretta 96, Glock 19, Glock 21, Glock 30s

Posts: 303 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marcushoss:

I let him know that instead of seizing his pistol, confiscating his CHL, and arresting him, I was just going to cite him for the traffic violations, gave him another copy of the booklet on the CHL laws and suggest that he read it, as it will save him some big problems down the road.

Why would you say something like that? You were going to arrest him because he didn't inform you right away?

Posts: 23673 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To let him know that he could have been arrested, and had his pistol confiscated and his CHL suspended for failing to notify. Please keep in mind that it was not that he delayed in telling, he did not tell until I asked him. He was not being a jerk, he just had some traffic issues.

He was either lying about not knowing that he had to notify, or he had received some very bad instruction in his training. Without knowing which it was, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and warned him with a teaching moment.

My oldest son was arrested for failing to notify and had his CHL suspended for a year. He attended a "training" from an instructor that was know for giving out certificates for tuition and not requiring the people to attend the training. He did not want have to sit through the class.

So it is possible that the guy was lying to me and it was possible that he was ignorant of the law and the requirements. Either way, I know now that he is aware of the laws, and, should there be a next time.....

Browning Buckmark Target, Colt Junior, Colt .22 Target Model, Colt Trooper, Colt Gov't Model, Colt Competition Model, CZ Scorpion EVO, S&W 625(.45 Colt), S&W 642, Sig P229R, P290RS, Beretta 96, Glock 19, Glock 21, Glock 30s

Posts: 303 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that advising that I have a concealed carry permit is a great way out of a ticket.

Of course I add a charm offensive with the ignorance that I was going that fast...

Worked at even 35 over limit... Cool

EasyFire

Posts: 1128 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Only thing I take from the OP and some of his subsequent posts -

You keep saying the officer doesn't know if you're a bad guy or what...

How many bad guys start off the conversation with "Officer I have a permit and I am carrying a weapon." ???

I'd wager a $100 that NONE of the bad guys ever start off the conversation that way.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3001 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post