SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Flint Town on Netflix (documentary)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flint Town on Netflix (documentary) Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
I watched the first episode of the documentary tonight. I honestly don't know how these LEO's do it everyday. Anyone else see it yet?

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I just finished the series. It was an interesting documentary that tries to show “both sides” of the racial, social, ideological, and political issues involved in policing that 3rd world shithole with only about 100 police officers. Those officers deserve a ton of credit and a hefty raise!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I binge watched yesterday. Very well done. What a mess. I kept thinking that the city was decaying around everyone in it and they were all just too invested to pull out while they could. Yea, the polluted water issue was terrible, but the lack of viable industry is what’s turning the place into a ghost town.

Those cops (of course) have it the worst. Something like 98 sworn to handle all that crap in a city of 100k??? It’s too bad most were too old and had too much time on to start somewhere else anew.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I lived there for about 10 years. The city is a shit hole beyond hope. Seriously, there is no coming back from the state of that city. my friends wife was a teacher for Flint schools, went to school, got her degree and teacher certificate, put in all that time and money and commitmemt. Quit after 4 years. Always being called a racist for giving a bad grade, or trying to discipline anyone, kids with no money for lunch or a winter coat, but mom has a $300 weave and her nails done. Kid has an iPhone but no food, the nastiest attitudes you can imagine, all white people are evil, etc.

The savage animal thug mentality rules the day, there is no controlling or teaching the lost children. The liberal shit bags who run that town would never allow anyone to actually take any real steps to fix the problems, and I honestly don't think at this point there is anything that can be done. It needs to be walled off and forgotten and left to it's own fate. The city is rabidly anti gun, tried to deny my CCW because my training certificate wasn't printed on a laser printer.... The stupid lady at the registry counter bitched at me for having too many guns, etc. I wouldn't take night classes at MCC now without a SWAT back up. The roads look like something out of Afghanistan, it's just a total shit hole beyond what you are imagining. There was a local Meijer store (like a WalMart) and it not only closed, they demolished it to the ground. They had to close the Applebee's because it couldn't stay open past 7pm without some criminal shit happening. They had to have armed security in the lobby. Once it closed, a bunch of places around it followed suit. The movie theater closed, now it's reopen but there are armed security everywhere. The mall is a ghost town, etc etc.

I haven't watched this yet, the wife and I just found it on Netflix last night, but I wasn't sure about it. Having lived there we were interested but we wondered if it was some liberal bullshit about the oppression of the people or whatever. The thug free shit gangsta we are held down by the man mindset is everywhere.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I lived there for about 10 years. The city is a shit hole beyond hope. Seriously, there is no coming back from the state of that city. my friends wife was a teacher for Flint schools, went to school, got her degree and teacher certificate, put in all that time and money and commitmemt. Quit after 4 years.

The savage animal thug mentality rules the day, there is no controlling or teaching the lost children. The liberal shit bags who run that town would never allow anyone to actually take any real steps to fix the problems, and I honestly don't think at this point there is anything that can be done. It needs to be walled off and forgotten and left to it's own fate.

I haven't watched this yet, the wife and I just found it on Netflix last night, but I wasn't sure about it. Having lived there we were interested but we wondered if it was some liberal bullshit about the oppression of the people or whatever.

Give it a go. I think you will be surprised at the largely unbiased nature of the series.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: badcopnodonut!!,

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I grew up just outside of Flint, my Dad was a Flint policeman for 36 years 64-2000. It seemed that it turned into a shithole overnight in the mid 80's. Was sad to see

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Back To The Bricks is a large car show that runs concurrently with the Woodward Dream Cruise week.
This happened in 2011 http://www.mlive.com/news/flin...ted_after_frida.html

Some problems in 2012 but not as bad. I was there and saw the police clear Saginaw Street. We were in the process of closing up our display when the SHTF in a parking lot facing it. The incidents were greatly downplayed, for a "minor" incident to have police shoulder to shoulder walk the street seems to be sugarcoating.

I'll go occasionally to this event but am out of town well before the sun goes down, probably mid afternoon at the latest.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Started watching it today and only a couple episodes deep so this question may be addressed later on.
Also I don’t know how Michigan works so the answer may be there too but why does the county of state police not step in to assist??

Some other notes it would be so weird to go through the academy with your mother.
A 16 week academy man that would have been sweet we were still wearing our business suits week 16 weren’t even halfway finished, and barely had any gear issued.

Police dating/marrying police. I know it is quite common due to wacky work schedules, lifestyles etc. but that was never for me. Nurses make a better match.

27 hours to respond to an assault call man call volume there must be crazy.

So far it seems to be fairly well done.

I wonder how much of it is scripted for a little more drama.

When the female officer got out with Rico who actually turned out to be Tommy well that interaction just seemed odd to me. She asked for a description and the dispatched said tan coat or something. Then she was patting him down and was like you are Rico, right?

Then Frost’s DUI arrest after the collision. Almost no way that would even make it to trial around here a prosecutor would not touch that. Even if they did a decent defense attorney would crush that.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Started watching it today and only a couple episodes deep so this question may be addressed later on.
Also I don’t know how Michigan works so the answer may be there too but why does the county of state police not step in to assist??

Politics plays a lot in Michigan.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

State usually stays out of County LE unless they're requested. State and County usually stays out of municipal LE unless they're requested. That's just the way it is here.

LE efforts cost money. So when a municipality or county does request on-going assistance from the next larger administrative entity, it's usually going to cost them.

For example: The City of Pontiac has dissolved both its police force and its fire department. Couldn't afford to maintain its own, any longer. They now pay a neighbouring municipality, Waterford Township, for fire protection and they pay the Oakland County Sheriff's Department to handle their LE.

The City of Detroit used to patrol the freeways that ran through it. Had a special division to handle that: The Motor Division. That was dissolved long ago and is now handled by the Michigan State Police. Since they're Federal and State roads I don't know if Detroit has to reimburse the State for that expense. I think MSP also assists DPD with surface street enforcement, as well. They probably do pay for that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm a couple episodes in, and I'll agree that it's very well done. I'm pleasantly surprised at how non-editorial it is. Doesn't seem like the filmmakers are pushing an agenda, but are instead simply letting the story tell itself. As documentaries should be.

Mind-blowing how these Flint officers are expected to do so much with so few, in such a terrible environment (both physically and culturally).

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I leave the Yoop, I travel a route that avoids Flint, Saginaw and Detroit. The Flint documentary illustrates why I travel this way.
Thank God for US 127! Which unfortunately takes me close to another sucking sound, Lansing!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post