SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    An interesting take on Bach's Toccata and Fugue.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interesting take on Bach's Toccata and Fugue. Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
Bach's Toccata and Fugue is one of my all-time favorite classical pieces. I was listening to a traditional organ version when I came across this unusual rendition. As you watch it, you can almost hear someone saying, "what if..." I especially like the minute or so which begins at the 2:30 mark.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
It's a bit stiff and the tones are synthetic but somehow it works. Is there more?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

It is a tad stiff and synthetic, but I don't think that's totally unexpected for a classical piece being performed solely by electric guitars using picking, tapping, finger style and who knows what else through a bunch of pedals. I remember you were building pedals awhile back. Do you have anything which would give you that type of sound?

If you search 'Sinfonity', you'll find their other videos.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Here is a version on a harp by Amy Turk. A very talented young lady.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thank, I enjoyed it. It’s based on the Stanislaus Stokowski orchestration, I think.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I had no idea the harp had so many pedals. I really enjoyed that arrangement. I have trouble keeping a guitar in tune I can't imagine keeping that thing tuned up. And, what kind of major league calluses do you have to build up to play that thing pain free?

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
Bach's Toccata and Fugue is one of my all-time favorite classical pieces. I was listening to a traditional organ version when I came across this unusual rendition.

Bit too heavy on the banjos for me. Clever idea tho

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Here is a version on a harp by Amy Turk. A very talented young lady.
<snip>

Thanks, I liked this too.

The pedal harp is a large instrument. But, and it seems odd to me, I know of no men that play one.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Well....maybe just one. Cool

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/GArbUV_yv2k

Just to stay grounded; here is how it's "supposed" to sound:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Nnuq9PXbywA

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite pieces as well, and not just classical (Baroque). I always thought the T&F would lend itself well to an electric guitar transcription. Bravo.

Is the initial low bass note being generated on the electric bass? I wonder if they had to retune.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The version I'm familiar with the longest is one played by Virgil Fox - somewhere, I have the direct-to-disc album here at home. Used to use it to demonstrate Pioneer HPM-150 speakers many years ago.

I was introduced to Vanessa-Mae about 20 or so years ago. Her version has a bit of fusion in it. The video here was from her performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London a few months before her 18th birthday.

There are other performances of it by her on the Tube.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The version I'm familiar with the longest is one played by Virgil Fox - somewhere, I have the direct-to-disc album here at home.

There's a name I haven't heard in some time! I used to listen to a lot of his recordings on WQXR back in the day. I think my first album with T & F was E.Power Biggs. I probably still have it here.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I remember you were building pedals awhile back. Do you have anything which would give you that type of sound?
I generally don't get into high-gain tones. I'm more into using and building clean boosts or low to medium gain drives.

The sound they are using is compresses/distorted. It may be in the Boss Metal Zone range but they are probably using processors or modelers plugged directly into the recording console. I'd also imagine they're getting a click track in their in-ear monitors as there is no conductor.

I believe there was a discussion here concerning orchestral players vs jazz/rock players and how they count time. That could be the cause of the stiffness.

Regardless, I enjoyed it.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
... I remember you were building pedals awhile back. Do you have anything which would give you that type of sound?
I generally don't get into high-gain tones. I'm more into using and building clean boosts or low to medium gain drives.

The sound they are using is compresses/distorted. It may be in the Boss Metal Zone range but they are probably using processors or modelers plugged directly into the recording console. I'd also imagine they're getting a click track in their in-ear monitors as there is no conductor.

I believe there was a discussion here concerning orchestral players vs jazz/rock players and how they count time. That could be the cause of the stiffness.

I watched a video on pedals once just for grins. I had no idea what they were talking about but enjoyed the demos of the various types. The problem came when they began explaining the differences between phasers, flangers, etc. I recall thinking that many of the differences seemed quite subtle yet they required vastly different design parameters which seemed quite esoteric. I can follow a schematic reasonably well from a construction standpoint but am left far behind from the engineering standpoint.

In any event, I'm amazed at the sounds they're able to wring out of those guitars.

posted Hide Post
They are using guitar synthesizers. Pitch to MIDI most likely since I don't see any hexaphonic pickups. Some could be the more primitive fuzz-based synths like the old Electro Harmonix pedals.

Some of the tones are high gain electric, and some have an upper octave effect.

Interesting, but the Trans Siberian Orchestra kinda killed the concept for me.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

I watched a video on pedals once just for grins. I had no idea what they were talking about but enjoyed the demos of the various types. The problem came when they began explaining the differences between phasers, flangers, etc. I recall thinking that many of the differences seemed quite subtle yet they required vastly different design parameters which seemed quite esoteric. I can follow a schematic reasonably well from a construction standpoint but am left far behind from the engineering standpoint.

In any event, I'm amazed at the sounds they're able to wring out of those guitars.

The differences between different modulation circuits are basically the amount of signal fed back into the circuit and the number of milliseconds of delay. Sometimes it really is esoteric and a lot of times it only matters to the user. The audience generally doesn't care if your using an overdrive instead of a distortion.

Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite is the original 70s Canadian Brass arrangement and performance. I never tire of it.

https://youtu.be/_Cst9lV5PPg

German Brass has a good performance of it too with a few subtle differences.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

That was great! I haven't seen Peter Schickele in years. I think I may still have some of his PDQ Bach on vinyl. Thanks for the blast from the past.

posted Hide Post
quote:
German Brass has a good performance of it too with a few subtle differences.

I just watched that and enjoyed it as well. I was struck by the rotary valve trumpets. I don't recall having seen those before and I had to do some searching to even find out what they were called. Ended up on Trumpet Hub becoming acquainted with the differences between rotary and piston valve trumpets.

This is where the Internet shines. Pre-Internet, it would have been much more difficult to access this information and far more time consuming.