SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Fleetwood Mac fires Lindsey Buckingham
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fleetwood Mac fires Lindsey Buckingham Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Big Grin Big Grin

Prophetically, the last song that Fleetwood Mac performed together was “Go Your Own Way,” when the band was honored Jan. 26 as MusiCares Person of the Year. But at that gala, held at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, all seemed well with the band

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4

I remember watching a "behind the music" or some kind of doc on Fleetwood Mac and this song was discussed....Two things that stood out were discussion about the drum/percussion being fairly complicated and when they did it live the bitterness and anger between Stevie and Lindsay was noticable

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I've been to 3 of their concerts with the last one being 3 years ago and they had the energy of 30 yr olds.

I've been a fan for decades and this just surprised and disappointed me is all.

Jim

I'm a Buckingham fan, I think he is an excellent guitarist, very underrated. His past songwriting was also great, don't know anything past his Out of the Cradle album.

Having said that, I saw them on their tour when Christine McVie came back (free ticket from a friend of their road manager), and it was very sad to see. Other than old jazz guys (Art Blakey, Dizzy Gillespie, etc) and blues players (John Lee Hooker), this concert was the first time I had attended an "old timers" rock concert. Sorry to say it was strange and unsettling to see 70 year olds trying to act like they were 30. I have not attended another classic rock concert since, hell no rock concerts as far as I can remember. I have unfortunately never seen The Stones in their prime, but I'm sure as hell not gonna see them now. Same with McCartney.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I haven't seen anything about why Buckingham is out. He has been an important part of the band since the early '70s. I assume it is a personality or money problem - I can't imagine it is artistic.

I wouldn't pay the kind of money they want for a ticket - the band hasn't done anything really good in quite a while. I think they are still good at being Fleetwood Mac, but nostaglia isn't worth a $250 ticket for me.

I paid $150 a pop for tickets in 2015 and felt I got my moneys worth. $250? No way, and that goes for any performer.

Jim

I was making a guess at what the secondary market price would be, since they aren't on sale yet. But I don't think I like Fleetwood Mac at $150, either.

Nostalgia tours like The Eagles, Jackson Browne often get very high prices for their tickets. Many of us baby boomers want to hear the music of our youth again, and we have money now. It isn't worth it to me. I wanted to see Browne last year when he toured, but the tickets, all in, were damn near $300.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Lindsey Buckingham IS Fleetwood Mac. Without him they would have faded into obscurity 40+ years ago.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I haven't seen anything about why Buckingham is out. He has been an important part of the band since the early '70s. I assume it is a personality or money problem - I can't imagine it is artistic.

I wouldn't pay the kind of money they want for a ticket - the band hasn't done anything really good in quite a while. I think they are still good at being Fleetwood Mac, but nostaglia isn't worth a $250 ticket for me.

I paid $150 a pop for tickets in 2015 and felt I got my moneys worth. $250? No way, and that goes for any performer.

Jim

I was making a guess at what the secondary market price would be, since they aren't on sale yet. But I don't think I like Fleetwood Mac at $150, either.

Nostalgia tours like The Eagles, Jackson Browne often get very high prices for their tickets. Many of us baby boomers want to hear the music of our youth again, and we have money now. It isn't worth it to me. I wanted to see Browne last year when he toured, but the tickets, all in, were damn near $300.

Yeah, I get it. I'm a fan and just wanted to see them one last time. The average age of the crowd had to be mid-forty's. It sold out quickly and there were many standing ovations. Just a bunch of old farts wanting to relive a little of their younger days I guess. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Jimbo - I believe you forgot to add the word "again" in that sentence. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I stopped being a fan of Fleetwood Mac after the Kiln House album. They added the skirts and moved away from their guitar-based stuff (Peter Green is still considered one of the best guitarists of the era).

However, there are some 70+ year-olds tearing it up these days. I saw Jeff Beck in 2016 (and have a ticket to see him later this year), with opening act Buddy Guy. Guy was 80 and Beck 72. A review by Premier Guitar said,

quote:
"Today, Jeff Beck is playing some of the best guitar of his life. He is completely at the top of his game and there’s nobody even close. That might sound like a bit of hyperbole to the uninitiated, but Loud Hailer, Beck’s 17th studio album, sits comfortably alongside Wired, Truth, Blow by Blow, and Jeff Beck’s Guitar Shop. Beck is changing the rules and proving to everyone that retirement is overrated."

I had a ticket to see Robin Trower in concert (paid $55) but the man got sick and cancelled. He just turned 73, and I'd like to see this guitar master live before there isn't a chance anymore.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I thought they busted up 20 years ago.

I went to see Journey last year. To my amazement, they were very sharp musically, and looked very fresh and healthy. The vocalist has breathed new life in that band.

There were some blue hairs in the audience however.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Some of the ticket prices you guys quote seem pretty cheap. Last tour I priced out some good Fleetwood Mac seats and they were over $600/pair with the stupid fees. I have some friends who chase these groups as a hobby. They buy the best seats, they pay for the meet and greet after, they even pay money to fly significant distances to do it. I seem to remember they paid $1700 for Fleetwood Mac to get the best seats in the house including the meet and greet.

I just paid $200 for a pair of decent, not great, Steely Dan, a.k.a. Donald Fagen, tickets and the "ticket fees" were $35 of that. Better seats were $400 including fees.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I thought they busted up 20 years ago.

I went to see Journey last year. To my amazement, they were very sharp musically, and looked very fresh and healthy. The vocalist has breathed new life in that band.

There were some blue hairs in the audience however.

Don't stop believin' . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Mike Campbell is an improvement. I've never been to a FM concert but I might go now just to see Mike Campbell play.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

I paid considerably more than that to see Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood during their tour together a few years ago. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Of course, they weren't trying to pretend it was a Blind Faith concert in 1969 (in response to the "old folks trying to be kids in a rock band" comments).

I think I also paid more than that to see Steely Dan a few years ago. I'd do that again, too. Walter Becker died last year but Donald Fagen has still got it.

It isn't nostalgia for me - I wasn't born yet when they were new and popular. Smile

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No telling what goes into these decisions.
Fleetwood Mac is an iconic group.
I most everything they have, even the old bluesy ones and the Bob Welch era.
What a fantastic set of music.
Music is something individual, making fun of someone else's music taste I not something I would do. Frown
As these guys/gals get older it is hard to capture the same sound which is why I am very picky about concerts today (that and the obscene prices).
But Fleetwood Mac was/is awesome. Cool

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's a pretty good documentary out there, I think on Netflix, about when Journey hired their current lead singer - his name escapes me.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:

There's a pretty good documentary out there, I think on Netflix, about when Journey hired their current lead singer - his name escapes me.

If you like music documentaries, check out "Beware of Mr. Baker" if you haven't seen it. It's about Ginger Baker. It's fascinating.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
So there's never going to be a Bad Mayonnaise reunion? Big Grin

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Some of the ticket prices you guys quote seem pretty cheap. Last tour I priced out some good Fleetwood Mac seats and they were over P220 10mm Legion with the stupid fees. I have some friends who chase these groups as a hobby. They buy the best seats, they pay for the meet and greet after, they even pay money to fly significant distances to do it. I seem to remember they paid X-Five Allround for Fleetwood Mac to get the best seats in the house including the meet and greet.

I just paid .22lr kit for a P220 for a pair of decent, not great, Steely Dan, a.k.a. Donald Fagen, tickets and the "ticket fees" were a box of 44 Magnum ammo of that. Better seats were Glock 19 Gen 4 including fees.

I can't complain. Here is what my money went to and I'm just as happy with my nostalgia. I didn't even add in my latest 1911 Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
the drum/percussion being fairly complicated

Not at all, in my opinion.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I think Mike Campbell is an improvement. I've never been to a FM concert but I might go now just to see Mike Campbell play.

Buckingham is twice the guitarist of Campbell, and I like Mike Campbell. You also forgot the fact that Buckingham is the lead singer of his numerous compositions, songs that he wrote.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

Buckingham is twice the guitarist of Campbell, and I like Mike Campbell. You also forgot the fact that Buckingham is the lead singer of his numerous compositions, songs that he wrote.

And that is why I don't think they'll survive this move. I know that they will not get any money from me again. I would go to a Buckingham solo concert however.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post