SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What sad/death scene in a movie is almost too realistic to watch?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What sad/death scene in a movie is almost too realistic to watch? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
SPRs slow stab has been mentioned a number of times. But the opening sequence in the Allied Cemetery is hard for me to watch. It clearly shows the lasting burden of war and survivor guilt. Not a true death scene per se. but very death related.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
Band of Brothers, lots of sad ones.

Two that come to mind, the church scene where the lost soldiers were faded out, and when Bill Guarnere got hit and lost his legs.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Christ being whipped to death with all sorts of weaponry in Passion of the Christ. It was excruciating to watch.

Entire films I just can't do again, A Clockwork Orange, and Irreversible. Both excellent films and 2 of the best I've ever seen but I don't want to watch either again.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Mel Gibsons new bride getting her throat cut in Braveheart was particularly sad and hard to watch for me.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Elias running toward the choppers in PLATOON.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Elias running toward the choppers in PLATOON.

Yeah, that is a tough one to watch.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Three readily come to mind.

The death of Michael Murphy in Lone Survivor.
The deaths of Gary Gordon and Randy Shugart in Black Hawk Down.
The death of John Creasy in Man on Fire.

I concur wholeheartedly and for the same reasons. I'd only add Tom Hanks at the end of Saving Private Ryan telling Ryan to earn it and Ryan visiting his grave hoping he'd done enough to.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
The scene in "Lone Survivor" where the team is being decimated...

If anyone can watch that movie throughout the end without shedding a few tears, I'd keep my eyes on them. That was one of the most emotional movies I've ever seen.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The beginning of Up?

Yes, totally. I was crying like a little baby as I sat next to my wife watching that movie, thinking how I'd feel in Carl's shoes.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The various troopers who bleed out during "We Were Soldiers" and especially the Asian American who got napalmed.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Mel Gibson being ripped apart in Braveheart

This scene haunts me for some reason...I can't bring myself to watch this again.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
When the chief coolie is crushed to death at the bottom of the crankshaft well in The Sand Pebbles. You can just feel it when the jacking gear starts to slip.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The beginning of Up?

This is exactly what I thought of.

Same here - I tear up every time.
Also, the last few minutes of "These Final Hours"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
That slow stabbing scene in SPR has to be at the top of any list.

This scene for me too. Very hard to watch.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
Though while not realistic, the saddest one that always triggers my allergies is Spock in Wrath of Khan. "I have been and always shall be, your friend" Gets me every time right in the feels.

Kirk: Well done Scotty.
Bones: Jim, I think you better get down here.
Kirk looks over to Spock's vacant seat on the bridge.

Saving Private Ryan
Upham: Tell us how to fix you.
Medic Wade: I could use a little more morphine.

Others look at their captain pleadingly and question, "Sir?"

Capt Miller: Give it to him.

Brian's Song
Terms of Endearment
The Green Mile
Grave of the Fireflies

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
"Old Yeller"

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saving Private Ryan definitely. I can't watch the stabbing scene at all.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

It makes it even worse when you can understand what the German soldier is whispering to him: something like "it will be quick, don't fight me, it will be over soon".

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Hamburger Hill, troops being slaughtered by "friendly fire". The death of Doc.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

It makes it even worse when you can understand what the German soldier is whispering to him: something like "it will be quick, don't fight me, it will be over soon".

That does make it worse. Frown

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post