SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Sand Pebbles on right now on Turner Classics...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Sand Pebbles on right now on Turner Classics... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
This sorta snuck up on me...it's just coming on.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of the favorite movies.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Pray for an early spring... or permission to open fire.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. A favorite from the start; I like the way the still image of the boat transposes into the real thing and the film begins.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Looks like a McQueen sweep. Bullitt, Sand Pebbles, Cincinnati Kid, Nevada Smith. I'm in!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I’ve been watching. First time seeing this one. Chen getting maimed by the engine was rough.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Good Stem, Bad Stem!"

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite all-time movies. A period of history that many aren't aware of and shows the dynamics that tore China apart, pre-WWII, between the Nationalists and Communists. They did a good job depicting the harsh reality of how the Western powers looked down on the Chinese, either through overt racism by the sailors & businessman or, the patronizing attitudes of the missionary's and diplomats. A rough time in a tough world, very poignant.

Link with a number of interesting tidbits and other links about the movie

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great movie. And I enjoyed the B.A.R. and Lewis guns used in it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite movies, not only for the story and acting but also for the historical accuracy - especially in regard to uniforms and weapons. I noticed that when Jake and Shirley are in the small boat talking about his life he has the cuffs of his dress blues rolled up and the insides were embroidered in Chinese fashion (dragons and such). That was a characteristic of China hands back then, and also more modern day sailors who served in the Pacific around the Philippines and Japan. Also, the "Liberty Turns" on the Dixie Cups (hats enlisted sailors wore) was another characteristic not necessarily unique to China hands, but prevalent.

Talk about detail! Whoever was the period researcher for that movie deserved a special tribute.

Compare that to any of today's movies or tv shows that portray enlisted sailors with their ill-fitting uniforms and white hat in which zero effort was taken to make it look other than unfolded just out of the shipping box.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Great movie that doesn't get the attention it deserves.
A side note, one of the main actors lived about a mile from me when I was growing up. He plays Candice Bergen's dad Jameson in the movie. He was also in "In The Heat of the Night", the movie version, the guy that gets the slap in the face.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Stim stop wowl!

I love the ending of that movie. Steve McQueen sums it up with his own last bit of dialog. American movies don't tend to end that way, and forgot about modern movies, we'd hate to ruin the possibility of The Sand Pebbles 3

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always enjoy Steve McQueen.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Notice the blue flap on the white Cracker Jack top? Something that should return to the modern era uniform unlike the recently enacted changes to The E1-E6 men’s and women’s Service Dress White jumper design changes include incorporating a side zipper, front and rear yoke, Navy blue piping on the flap, and sleeve cuffs with Navy blue piping and button fasteners. Heresy to place zippers on those bell bottoms Frown

quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
One of my favorite movies, not only for the story and acting but also for the historical accuracy - especially in regard to uniforms and weapons. I noticed that when Jake and Shirley are in the small boat talking about his life he has the cuffs of his dress blues rolled up and the insides were embroidered in Chinese fashion (dragons and such). That was a characteristic of China hands back then, and also more modern day sailors who served in the Pacific around the Philippines and Japan. Also, the "Liberty Turns" on the Dixie Cups (hats enlisted sailors wore) was another characteristic not necessarily unique to China hands, but prevalent.

Talk about detail! Whoever was the period researcher for that movie deserved a special tribute.

Compare that to any of today's movies or tv shows that portray enlisted sailors with their ill-fitting uniforms and white hat in which zero effort was taken to make it look other than unfolded just out of the shipping box.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have "The Sand Pebbles" on VHS tape, one of my first purchases on Ebay. Fan of the movie since about New Year's Eve, 1971-1972 when I first saw it. Went hunting on New Year's Day.

As for the 13 button bell bottom trousers, in my Navy years they were called 13 chances for a woman to say "No". Wink

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this tidbit on a Texas history posting on Facebook awhile back, also mentioned on IMDb: one of the filming locations for the Sand Pebbles was the Battleship Texas at the San Jacinto Monument State Park, presumably for engine room/interior shots....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, engine. I'm Jake Holman.

This thread has me pulling it up again. It will be my dinner movie the next few nights.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Richard McKenna's book is one of my favorites. Having served in both WWII and the Korea war, and I think he retired as a Chief Machinist's Mate, gives credibility to his writing. wiki:

Seeking more opportunities than could be found in such a rural part of the country at the height of the Great Depression, McKenna joined the U.S. Navy in 1931 at the age of 18. He served for 22 years, including 10 years of active sea duty. He served in both World War II and the Korean War, and retired shortly afterwards as a Chief Machinist's Mate.[1]

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All this talk about historical accuracy, and no one bothers to mention how beautiful Candice Bergen was in the movie???

One of my favorite movies to watch. An interesting period of history.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
The Sand Pebbles came-out in 1966, and I was on active duty in the navy a few years later. So, as a 'black shoe' I identified with a lot of the movie. All the squids loved it. Many of us, had traditional 'liberty cuffs' sewn on our dress blues. Holman was a composite of a hundred guys that I knew. Great historical accuracy with all the weapons used by the cast. Excellent close-quarters combat sequences.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post