SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Last Jedi Teaser
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Jedi Teaser Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I hope it's better than the reboot. Also means this fall, hoopla central. Surprised advanced tickets aren't on sale yet Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What reboot are you talking about?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
So much hate for the new movies, I liked episode 7, and really liked Rogue One. I am excited to see 8, and hang out with my son watching it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

The one JJ did. Rebooting the franchise.

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

The one JJ did. Rebooting the franchise.

JJ's The Force Awakens wasn't a reboot. It's a direct sequel to the previous Star Wars films; a continuation of the same ongoing plotline. (Though it clearly borrowed heavily from the basic story of A New Hope.)

Reboots are akin to remakes. They "start over", basically writing over the history of the previous films in the franchise. Think "alternate dimension where the storyline in the previous films never happened".

JJ's first Star Trek movie was a reboot.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
That's not a reboot. That's a traditional sequel, though it reused a lot of the plot from A New Hope.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's not a reboot. That's a traditional sequel, though it reused a lot of the plot from A New Hope.

A droid is sent to a desert planet with data vital to the resistance.

The bad guys are looking for the data and anyone else involved.

The droid is acquired by a local yute with force powers.

Yute leaves desert planet via Millennium Falcon.

Wise old dude helps out yute.

There's a fight at a cantina.

Good guys discover that bad guys have a weapon that can blow up planets.

Girl is taken prisoner and interrogated by a black suited, scary guy with a voice changer.

Girl escapes.

Good guys send in the fighters to blow up planet killing weapon.

Wise old dude dies at the hand of black suited guy.

Good guys blow up planet killing weapon despite overwhelming odds against them.

Someone has a bad feeling about something.

No who can tell me if this describes A New Hope or The Force Awakens?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes it did. Don't get hung up in semantics.
They did indeed reboot the franchise. Sorry this is such a personal issue for some. Confused

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

Girl is taken prisoner and interrogated by a black suited, scary guy with a voice changer.

Girl escapes.

Pretty much my point but frail sensibilities and all....

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If it's a reboot, explain the sequential assignment of an episode number.

Look, we all know J.J. Abrams is an unoriginal bastard who needs to copy or reimagine previous works in order to produce a new movie; however, just because you are hung up on that issue doesn't make it a reboot.

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Now that we've spent the first page on the obligatory "Force Awakens was just a ripoff of A New Hope" discussion, whaddaya say we talk about the trailer?

That last line was ominous - or interesting, depending on how you look at it.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:

Yes it did. Don't get hung up in semantics.
They did indeed reboot the franchise. Sorry this is such a personal issue for some. Confused

What on Earth made you think there is anything personal about explaining the definition of a reboot vs a sequel?
Episode 7 is a sequel despite having a very similar plot structure. A reboot would be having another actor play a 17 year old Luke Skywalker.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Now that we've spent the first page on the obligatory "Force Awakens was just a ripoff of A New Hope" discussion, whaddaya say we talk about the trailer?

I was attempting to be funny. I loved The Force Awakens.
The trailer didn't give away much story. Looks like Rey starts her Jedi training and more super cool X-Wing vs Tie Fighter dog fighting.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

A lot is going to depend on what point in the movie that line is given.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

Girl escapes.

We've been over this in other Star Wars threads. Everybody knows that Ep 7 borrowed HEAVILY from the plot of Ep4.

That doesn't negate the fact that MANY of us nerds LOVED IT!!!!!!

I think the reason that they did this is because they didn't want to stray too far from the original story. Disney had just spent $5 BILLION in cash (or was it 'only' 4?) for the franchise. They want to make that money back. Therefore, they took a VERY risk-averse approach. Ep 7 was NOT the time to really stick their necks out with something 'experimental.' If they had produced utter crap like the prequels, the would have risked losing a metric butt-ton (an industry term) of money. They really did stray from the 'formula' with Rogue One, and even THEN people complained (OMG THERE'S NO OPENING CRAWL THIS ISN'T STAR WARS!!!!!!! Eek Mad Frown ).

Here is the new trailer embedded.

quote:
Episode 7 is a sequel despite having a very similar plot structure. A reboot would be having another actor play a 17 year old Luke Skywalker.

EXACTLY!!!!!

Reboots are like Spiderman/Superman/JJTrek, where they recast the *same characters* with different actors, re-film the *same events*, and pretend the originals never existed. JJTrek tries to avoid this with the 'alternate timeline' nonsense, but that excuse doesn't hold up to scrutiny (as the laws of physics operate differently in the original and in JJ's Trek universes).

There has not been a Star Wars reboot. Every episode (1-2-3-3.9-4-5-6-7) is a distinct continuation of the original story (even though the (horrible) prequels were filmed between Eps 6 and 7). Ep 8 is simply a continuation of the original story.

And I am PSYCHED!!!!!!!!! I enjoyed Rogue 1, but not as much as Ep 7.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My interpretation of the last line is that the force seeks balance, and that to get rid of the the darkness, the Jedi must end.

Basically, the Jedi caused all this crap in the first place.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
My interpretation of the last line is that the force seeks balance, and that to get rid of the the darkness, the Jedi must end.

Basically, the Jedi caused all this crap in the first place.

I hope this doesn't get into the 'balance of the force' BS like they did in the prequels. Some claimed that, before Qui-Gon's meddling with 'little ani,' there were dozens/hundreds of Jedi and 2 Sith. AFTERWARDS, there were 2 Jedi (Obi-wan and Yoda) and 2 Sith (Vader/Emperor). Hence, balance. Roll Eyes

Of course, there are always lines/scenes in teasers/trailers that don't make it into the movies (like Jyn drawing a phaser and facing a TIE Fighter on the comm array catwalk in Rogue, or the big "There has been an awakening/Have you felt it" dialog in Ep7).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Force Awakens was a mashup, but not a reboot.

It sucked and I've sworn off watching any more JJ Abrams Star Wars.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:

So we're going to get Harry Potter in space?

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post