SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite back-and-white cinematography
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite back-and-white cinematography Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Although I haven't actually seen it, they say Raging Bull is a B&W classic.

I'd give an honorable mention to the martial arts film Kuro Obi ("Black Belt"). Most of the movie is in color, but for the climactic final fight they fade to black-and-white, then back to color again. It gave the scene a whole new dimension.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Too many excellent choices, but off the top of my head, anything by the master himself, John Alton. Take a look at a little B-picture called He Walked by Night. Gorgeous.

http://www.waitsel.com/moviearticles/Film_Noir.html

Well, how about that? I recently got a couple of collections of Film Noir and thought that title seemed familiar. I just checked and found it is in there. I'll cue it up someday soon.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have a good copy of the film. At some point in the past, He Walked by Night must have fallen into the public domain, because there are DVDs out there that were made from a horrendously bad copy of this film.

Just gorgeous

Here's a composite of six screen caps I put together from my DVD copy of Fox's I Wake Up Screaming, a 1941 proto-noir, photographed by Edward Cronjager.

Chiaroscuro lighting, ceiling'd sets- this a beautifully photographed film.

Again, far too many good choices to name.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Amazon Prime has He Walked by Night included for no extra charge. I need to watch this film again.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Harakiri from director Masaki Kobayashi in 1962 is another beauty.

Note the "Dutch" angle of the camera (a corruption of "Deutsch") and the foreground clutter. These visual devices were used frequently in film noir, athough this film doesn't fit into that category.

Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
To Kill a Mockingbird

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"They drive by Night" - Bogart `1940.

"Scarface" - 1932.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Rumble Fish
Raging Bull
Clerks - Not particularly stunning B&W but I like the movie.
The Last Picture Show

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those already mentioned and “the last picture show”

Posts: 26 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: May 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the above, but I will added "Schindler's List".

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Welles' Citizen Kane and The Magnificant Ambersons, photographed by Gregg Toland and Stanley Cortez, respectively, are great looking films.

Woody Allen's Manhattan is great eye candy, photographed by Gordon Willis, who got his nickname "The Prince of Darkness" after his work on The Godfather.

Nicholas Musuraca is my favorite cinematographer from the classical period. His work on Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past is representative of his talent.

And, again- anything by John Alton.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He Walked by Night is on TCM right now

Oh, and how could I forget Gabriel Figueroa's sumptuous work in John Ford's The Fugitive?

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I have to go early, where cameras found new ways to see things and changed film's direction. How about the opposite of dark and moody?

Chaplin
Keaton
Lloyd

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Roger Deakins' excellent work in the Coen brothers' The Man Who Wasn't There

To be clear, this film was shot in color, then it was printed in B&W. It was less expensive to do it that way, due to the cost of B&W motion picture film stock at that time.

posted Hide Post
Those are some stunning images you've posted, para. I've seen some of them, and will hunt up others. Thanks for expanding the topic.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Ford's "Rio Grande"; the scene with J. Wayne standing along side the river at twilight is stunning.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A couple of early films from the very talented and very versatile Robert Wise, both of them films noir.

• From 1949, The Set-Up starring Robert Ryan. This is a boxing film shown in real time- that is to say that the film is one hour and and some odd minutes long, and all action on-screen takes place over the course of that hour and some odd minutes. Another example of a film shown in real time is High Noon.
    Cinematographer Milton Krasner makes unattractive places and unattractive people look their best. The print of this film that TCM broadcasts is real eye candy.

• From 1948, Blood on the Moon starring Robert Mitchum, and photographed by the very talented Nicholas Musuraca. You'll never see a Western with more dark shadows and poorly-lit rooms, and all that inky black on the screen is beautiful. I use this film to demonstrate to people that film noir is a style, not a genre. Blood on the Moon is without any doubt whatsover a Western, but it is film noir, ten ways from Sunday.

The genre is Western. The style is film noir.

Both of these films are worth your time. I like Blood on the Moon especially.

•  
    I'm not laughing
    WITH you
    Picture of Rolan_Kraps
    posted Hide Post
    Yeah, Young Frankenstein, Dr. Strangelove, and Sunset Boulevard.

Rolan Kraps
    SASS Regulator
    Gainesville, Georgia.
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Rule #1: Use enough gun
    Picture of Bigboreshooter
    posted Hide Post
    I would also add the original CAPE FEAR.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
    Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    On the wrong side of
    the Mobius strip
    Picture of Patrick-SP2022
    posted Hide Post
    I think a case can be made for "Night of the Hunter."

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post