SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Vader Kenobi reimagined
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vader Kenobi reimagined Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched this one about 40 minutes ago. The Batman vs Vader was good also.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I've watched the Vader Kenobi reimagined duel at least a dozen times since I saw it yesterday.
A little video-gamish, but man so much richer than the stark, minimalist original.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
No sir, didn't like it.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I've watched the Vader Kenobi reimagined duel at least a dozen times since I saw it yesterday.
A little video-gamish, but man so much richer than the stark, minimalist original.

I agree it has its place. I have a couple of points though.

First, the original star wars had a very zen quality. Obi's zen-like state of mind over the vengeance-fueled Darth Vader. It creates a disparity of purpose between the two archetypes. That type of imagery is being systematically removed from american cinema. Case in point Marvel's avenger's director just announced that they are going to reveal an LBGT character in the near future. This goes along the lines of star wars turning Ashoka Tano lbgt in her book.

Second, How this would have happened. I disagree with how they portrayed it. The hatred in Vader would not have went down like this if he even opened the mental rage taps even a bit. There would have been far more aggressive attacks, imagine unbridled rage, hatred, coiled for 20 plus years. That does not get metered out a little bit. Like a bursting damn it would have Vaders Psyche. His attack(s) would have been legendary. It says a lot that his control had grown enough to tamp down those feelings over the years. To be a functional despot devoid of emotion as he rages on.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

First, the original star wars had a very zen quality. Obi's zen-like state of mind over the vengeance-fueled Darth Vader. It creates a disparity of purpose between the two archetypes. That type of imagery is being systematically removed from american cinema. Case in point Marvel's avenger's director just announced that they are going to reveal an LBGT character in the near future. This goes along the lines of star wars turning Ashoka Tano lbgt in her book.

Second, How this would have happened. I disagree with how they portrayed it. The hatred in Vader would not have went down like this if he even opened the mental rage taps even a bit. There would have been far more aggressive attacks, imagine unbridled rage, hatred, coiled for 20 plus years. That does not get metered out a little bit. Like a bursting damn it would have Vaders Psyche. His attack(s) would have been legendary. It says a lot that his control had grown enough to tamp down those feelings over the years. To be a functional despot devoid of emotion as he rages on.

Vader did let go with his anger.........at Mustafar, where he lost to Obi Wan. An older wiser Vader would approach a second duel with Obi Wan cautiously. Using his anger and fear (letting it out a little at a time, building on it as the fight continues) at Obi Wan would make Vader a more wary opponent this time around. Also Vader has to be thinking, "Obi Wan has hid from me and my bud Palps for 20 years...has he grown that strong in the Force."

Truthfully, I think they made Obi Wan's saber techniques too sloppy in the re-imagined scene above. Obi Wan's strength was in the positive energy motion of his light saber style. Let me explain: as per Escrima/Kali/Filipino Martial Arts (if you ever get a chance, take a seminar with Ronin Tactics Tu Lam) the positive energy is the actual strike, best positive energy is short quick strikes, especially with a blade. Negative energy is the follow through on a miss or winding up for the hit. Too much negative energy on a follow through means no quick follow up strike. Too much negative energy on a strike is telegraphing it and allowing opponent time to get his strike in and/or block your strike. Obi Wan was THE Master of Form III Soresu. Lets of positive energy/movement, very little negative energy or movement.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

Vader did let go with his anger.........at Mustafar, where he lost to Obi Wan. An older wiser Vader would approach a second duel with Obi Wan cautiously. Using his anger and fear (letting it out a little at a time, building on it as the fight continues) at Obi Wan would make Vader a more wary opponent this time around. Also Vader has to be thinking, "Obi Wan has hid from me and my bud Palps for 20 years...has he grown that strong in the Force."

Truthfully, I think they made Obi Wan's saber techniques too sloppy in the re-imagined scene above. Obi Wan's strength was in the positive energy motion of his light saber style. Let me explain: as per Escrima/Kali/Filipino Martial Arts (if you ever get a chance, take a seminar with Ronin Tactics Tu Lam) the positive energy is the actual strike, best positive energy is short quick strikes, especially with a blade. Negative energy is the follow through on a miss or winding up for the hit. Too much negative energy on a follow through means no quick follow up strike. Too much negative energy on a strike is telegraphing it and allowing opponent time to get his strike in and/or block your strike. Obi Wan was THE Master of Form III Soresu. Lets of positive energy/movement, very little negative energy or movement.

I agree with both statements....

First off, I like this video. It is a good idea of what would it may have been like with modern special effects and CGI.

Second, yes... Vader would have unleashed "the hate" as only a Sith Lord like he could. But Kenobi is also Kenobi, in the sense that he is maybe now the second Jedi Master to figure out how to be "one with the force" and arguably the second most powerful jedi EVER (as only Qui Gon had also done so thus far, and Yoda will and Luke will...)

If we go with canon, we also see Obi Wam deal with Maul again as an older Jedi exile. And unlke the last time he deals with Maul, he takes him is 3 or 4 moves. Simple, elegant, and decisive... Literally 3 or 4 moves of a sword...

No matter how much Anikan/Vader has learned... Obi Wan, with the aid of Yoda, Qui Gon, and other ancient Jedi teachers, has been WAY more.

If Obi Wan allowed a saber to pass through his body, it was because he determined it to be the best way possible.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I'm constantly impressed by what amateurs can churn out these days. The video does do a pretty good job of modernizing the fight and making it look closer to being in a modern Disney movie.

However, I'm old school. One of the things I miss about George Lucas's Star Warses is that expansive epic classic widescreen theatrical feel. All that shaking and pirouetting and tight framing and quick cut editing really cheapens the look for me. You can see it when the camera remains stationary for all the original footage. That epic feel is something that I miss in contemporary movies. It feels like most modern films are designed for the eventual small screen (which they didn't think of in the '70s and before). So, the work is impressive in that scene, but I think it cheapens the feel overall and showcases all that CGI, adding to the video game cutscene look.

Also, I'm just tired of Star Wars parodies and homages overall. It was already played out when Spaceballs came out in '87! It peaked with Hardware Wars as far as I'm concerned. Big Grin

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like tampering with classic movies. They are a product of the time they were made in. It's heresy to redo movies like King Kong or The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Sword fights or duels between Masters are usually boring since each is waiting for the other to make a bad move. Think of the difference between college sports and professional. College games are always more exciting.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I like it. I still like the original better. I thought the more centered, fencing style approach to the original was more appropriate for Obi Wan's age.

Keeping his blade centered right at Vader's chest preempted a lot of this big theatrical wind-ups and swinging. He didn't dare move his blade away from center because Obi Wan would've just lunged and run him through.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post