SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Grand Tour - Season 2
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Grand Tour - Season 2 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I'm just wondering what other racing history stories they could cover.

Steve McQueen, James Garner and other celebrities racing in the Baja 1000.

As much as the guys (Clarkson in particular) like to indulge in rally-racing, they've not to my knowledge dived into off-road racing. The Baja 1000 is one of the world's most storied race's with enough stories and characters to fill several episodes however they've never featured it. I don't think they've ever gotten into the Euro-based: Paris-Dakar, Northern Forrest or, Breslau Rallye.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I imagine you could easily work an episode around one of the super enduro off road races & include a challenge where they actually compete in an amateur class.

They did the 24hr race on TG:UK in the self-grown diesel powered BMW.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I have come to the conclusion...

... Clarkson, Hammond, and May are...

... Americans in disguise...

... because their car humor is 119,832.43 cubic inches of AMERICAN!!!

But what bloody madman keeps putting Richard Hammond into £1,000,000+ automobiles????

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Another great episode with the Aston and the Jag.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen Clarkson look more fearful than driving that banked track in Spain.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I've never seen Clarkson look more fearful than driving that banked track in Spain.

Quitting after the practice lap showed that Hammond has learned something from all his crashes.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Quitting after the practice lap showed that Hammond has learned something from all his crashes.

I think it was more him knowing the limitations of his equipment for something like that.

And anyway, yes, that was another fantastic episode.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thoroughly enjoyable.
They are now at cruising altitude.

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've never really been a car guy and never watched Top Gear, but last summer my midlife crisis period hit and after having driven mostly full size pickups for, well, ever, I bought a new Challenger. So back in October or so, a friend of mine pointed me at Grand Tour, specifically the season one episode that had Hammond driving a Challenger Hellcat and annoying the crap out of Clarkson and May with it. I loved that episode but couldn't get into any of the rest of season one, but after seeing the reviews here I started watching season 2. Clarkson is an annoying, arrogant, pompous ass, but the other two guys continually zinging him keeps me watching. Skiing with cars, Jaguars no less - who'd a thunk it?

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:I bought a new Challenger.
Excellent

quote:
Clarkson is an annoying, arrogant, pompous ass

You know that's the act right..they each play a role. Captain Slow is the pedantic one, Hamster being the aspirational American..

If you're enjoying GT, then you should dive into some of the past Top Gear seasons, particularly the Specials. I'd recommend, the Bolivia Special and Botswana Special as the boys are in top form; the first one drive across Alabama is a hoot for a different reason. Big Grin

Then the real meat is the various show challenges..Robin Reliant Space Shuttle, Caravan, Limousine, Polar, here's a list..
The 100 Best Top Gear Episodes Ever

to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clarkson is an annoying, arrogant, pompous ass,

But he is that way with everyone, especially the Brits.....he tore into Piers Morgan a few years ago in an epic fight between them. Hammond is really an American who lives in England, Clarkson is a closet American (he actually loves trucks, the new Corvette, and guns), and James May is the historian on almost everything. I loved watching May's different shows, one he flew in a U2 spy plane and the other was a drinking show (traveled to different countries to try wine, beer and whiskey):

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
And Clarkson now holds a new British speed record, on water.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that episode. The celebrity face off with Penn and Teller and Dynamo (?) was pretty entertaining.

That was quite a statistic about 85% of those attempting a speed record on water die. Yikes Eek

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
And Clarkson now holds a new British speed record, on water.

SLIGHT SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed so hard at the exchange between the three of them at the end..... May:"We made a deathtrap and failed"....Clarkson: "now we are trying to kill each other."

quote:
That was quite a statistic about 85% of those attempting a speed record on water die. Yikes Eek

I think the equivalent would be trying to do a road speed record on a cobblestone track. Water conditions have to be perfect, any type of chop and/or wind would be dangerous. Just imagine the science of trying to get the perfect exact down force to keep a boat on the water surface; too much down force-boat's nose will porpoise into water, flipping it and wiping out. Too little down force boat will lift off, catch air and go airborne, wiping out. No thanks, I will keep my racing on the road. Big Grin

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well that was good for laughs. I liked the airplanes blowing about...the magic tricks...the Jag in the snow...basically all of it.

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The celebrity track was an absolute mess this last episode. It looked fun as hell too! Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
just finished episode 4, starting episode 5

the aerial tanker putting out May's car was pretty funny

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ep.9 was a classic TG-type episode. Ridiculous idea, argue and banter, execute..multiple times. Reminds me of the caravan episodes, high speed train, ambulance, first amphibious car challenge...

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
An unholy mix of sweat and feces.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I thought last week's episode ending was funny, I laughed for five minutes straight on the ending of the latest episode: SUVs in Canada.