SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    When SNL was funny
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When SNL was funny Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
I haven't watched in years because it became awful, but God, there was some funny stuff in the early days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91XUyg9iWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZDsBdB9sgg

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris Farley was in some good ones:

Chippendales Dancer vs. Patrick Swayze kills me

Matt Foley Motivational Speaker

Big Grin

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's rarely funny, any more.

I used to tune in for Weekend Update when Seth Meyers was still doing it. But, since he moved on it's become even more partisan that it was, so I rarely bother, any more.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately it hasn't been funny in decades.

I do remember laughing my rear end off at Roseanne Roseannadanna, the Widettes and Plumbers Crack among others.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
"Chee-burger, chee-burger, chips, no Coke, Pepsi"!

Never missed it in the 70's, ain't watched it since.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
<script src="https://videopress.com/videopress-iframe.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Man, Phil Hartman was awesome.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We always went out for dinner on Saturday night with friends in the mid 70s. We made damn sure we were home early enough for SNL. Radner, Balushi, Chase, Murray, Morris, Curtin, Aykroyd and Newman were truly gifted.

We lost interest as the originals started to leave. Haven’t seen it since.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Even back in the heyday, it was seldom funny except for some of the skits. A lot of meh with a little bit of funny every now and then.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I had the chance to attend the first broadcast. A friend on the job's sister worked for the SNL team at the time. But we all turned it down because it meant travelling into NYC around 8pm and we were tired from working that day.

That would have been the only one I'd have liked to see,.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The early days were the funnest:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...4VLLDTJIG-ja7rGUfdU5

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It is just sad now, sad and unwatchable

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Phil Hartman. R.I.P. That man, was hysterical.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It was never funny to me.
At anytime. Then.Now.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Because i’m Fred Galvin, Male Prostitute.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The early ones were great, then it took a dive and then I did watch a couple of seasons when Chris Farley, Adam Sandler and David Spade were on. Haven't seen an episode since then. I do see the occasional clip, but it looks like total garbage now, not even a slight chuckle, just PC political garbage.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I quit watching after Akroyd and Company left

I tried to watch an episode about 10 years but it just made me cringe - not one of them was funny, even a bit

wasn't even aware the show was still on

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

...wasn't even aware the show was still on

Once in a while Fox News (can't remember if it's Brett Baer or the AM crew) will show one of the skits that - naturally - dump on Trump.

They're not funny, but I'm not a brainless lib.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They did a funny bit recently about the Amazon Echo for old people. I think the funniest guy on the show is the black guy. He always has a twinkle in his eye that says he knows what's coming and it's funny.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post