SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Marble rye...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marble rye... Login/Join 
Picture of BamaCav
posted Hide Post
Just enjoyed probably the best Reuben I have ever had at Old Ebbitt Grill in D.C. this week.

Posts: 126 | Location: AL | Registered: December 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It may be a sacrilege, but the best ever reuben I've had was an open faced deal. It had a thick cut of dark rye piled high with corned beef, cabbage with a smear of thousand island topped with several thick pieces of swiss then cooked under the broiler until the cheese was melted and bubbly. Hot-damn, probably 2000 calories but oh so good. Had that for lunch at a Down Town Chicago restaurant that I can't remember the name of.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I'll be the odd guy out that does not care for a Reuben,

Commie bastard! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
...Danzers in Syracuse...

Hands down, the best restaurant prepared Rueben that I've ever had. I heard that they went out of business a few years ago, which is a shame. They made some great food.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
...Swiss cheese, corned beef, and sauerkraut. Smothered in Thousand Island and grilled to a cheese melting golden brown perfection.

A better sandwich has not been invented.

With a Beer!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I like simple, pastrami and swiss on whole wheat. Goes down good. I am unable to digest the rye nowadays.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
...Danzers in Syracuse...

Hands down, the best restaurant prepared Rueben that I've ever had. I heard that they went out of business a few years ago, which is a shame. They made some great food.

They moved to Ansley Drive years ago from their iconic north side location. Quality was said to slide and the place closed. But recently someone else bought the property and name and has reopened. Haven't been back to visit to find out what the newest iteration is like.

But more on point, I've been all over and agree that the original Danzers and their reuben were unmatched!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Durn yur hides! Hunger pangs just went through the roof! Now I'm going to have to stop on the way home and rustle up the ingredients to make one.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

likely cause I grew up with sailor sammiches,

rye, grilled pastrami, provolone, grilled sliced knockwurst, swiss, spicy mustard on rye
toss in some grilled onions for good measure

all on toasted rye (marbled or regular)

yum

Did you know the sailor sandwich was invented in Richmond? I grew up in Richmond and always assumed it was a classic deli sandwich and was surprised , when my classmates from up North had never heard of it. As for Reubens, I love them but always omit the sauerkraut.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a Beer!

with a Root Beer (hires)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
That's my regions Reuben. And I like it like that.
But they are all good. I even enjoy a Rachel now and then (Turkey, coleslaw, russian or 1,000island).

My father used to take us swimming most weekends and then to Farrell's Ice cream parlor for, well, ice cream. Except he would always get a Reuben. It was my father's sandwich.

Years ago, made many a sandwich using Russian dressing.

Bologna, turkey, cole slaw onion, and Russian Dressing.

I cannot find Russian Dressing anywhere now, sure miss it!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be about reubens, but then someone mentioned Thousand Island dressing and it was all I could do to keep reading.

It’s not a real Reuben without Russian dressing. Everyone who knows reubens knows this.

The best reubens, BTW, are found at the original Lenny’s location on Corned Beef Row in Baltimore.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:

likely cause I grew up with sailor sammiches,

rye, grilled pastrami, provolone, grilled sliced knockwurst, swiss, spicy mustard on rye
toss in some grilled onions for good measure

all on toasted rye (marbled or regular)

yum

Did you know the sailor sandwich was invented in Richmond? I grew up in Richmond and always assumed it was a classic deli sandwich and was surprised , when my classmates from up North had never heard of it. As for Reubens, I love them but always omit the sauerkraut.

I am born and raised in RVA and now live just south of town in Chesterfield

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot find Russian Dressing anywhere now, sure miss it!

Find it? Make it! It's simple, and recipes abound online. At the simplest, it's just mayo, ketchup, and pickle. Russion, Thousand Island, and Ranch are all so much better when made from scratch. All the bottled glop tastes the same.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
You know nothing about reubens. Its mustard, cabbage, saurkraut, corned beef, and rye. Ya'll messing up a great thing with thousand island. Or russain, or french, or whatever you wanna call it. Put some mustard up in that sandwich and let it be

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Blasphemy delicious!

http://www.cookingforkeeps.com...de-russian-dressing/

Fish Rueben with receipe, Russian Dressing.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
You know nothing about reubens. Its mustard, cabbage, saurkraut, corned beef, and rye. Ya'll messing up a great thing with thousand island. Or russain, or french, or whatever you wanna call it. Put some mustard up in that sandwich and let it be

Oy...

Und a hunt on tsain iz ois hunt!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Blasphemy delicious!

http://www.cookingforkeeps.com...de-russian-dressing/

Ha! I sooo bookmarked that site.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

four stores here do not carry the Russian dressing either.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

That stuff is an abomination not even remotely close to what Russian dressing should be. Gesh Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post