Notify
Tools

Joker movie Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
Seemed like it took all of its riffs from "Taxi Driver" and "The King of Comedy"
I got that impression as well, and that's only from seeing the trailer.

Todd Phillips directed, co-produced, & co-wrote the film. He's made it perfectly clear that Joker is heavily influenced by those Scorcese films. In fact, Scorcese was a co-producer until he left to concentrate on The Irishman.

If you're familiar w/ Scorcese films, then you'll understand why Gotham City in Joker looks dirty and gritty like 1970s NYC. You'll get why DeNiro playing a talk show host is a nod to the role Jerry Lewis played in King of Comedy opposite DeNiro. Not everyone will get it, but older film fans are supposed to get it. It's like when Quinten Tarantino casts Sonny Chiba to be a Japanese swordsmith, Gordon Liu to be a white-haired, white-bearded martial arts master (aka, the White Lotus), and David Carradine as [Kill] Bill.

Given Scorsese's recent newsworthy comments expressing his contempt for superhero films over the past 10 years, do you think he'd be willing to attach his name to any ole' comic book movie? Joker has Scorsese's fingerprints all over it.

Posts: 1651 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a matinee IMAX showing. Ordered a tall beer and dug into my seat. The last time I was in a movie theater was when Chris Nolan's Dunkirk was released.

This is no superhero movie, not a single one in this film. No fairy story telling in this one. I don't even consider it a "comic book movie", its styling owes much to Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy, basically an homage of sorts to 70s films. This is a "period" film, taking place in 1970s "New York (Gotham). No internet, cable TV, cell phones, etc. The films even starts with this familiar opening:

And the Batman canon exists in its own unique way, but like I stated, not a single "superhero" present whatsoever.

Many of the camera shots and cinematography is influenced by 70s cinema, but with also a Chris Nolan influence permeating throughout the film. There are no cliches, quick-cut editing, or any of that garbage. There is no nudity, hardly any profanity, and the violence level is more Godfather-like than John Wick (which is 100 times more violent). And this is rated R, I'm guessing because it is a really dark film.

So why go see it? Joaquin Phoenix outdoes Heath Ledger in his portrayal of the Joker. Hell, I think he did a better job than DeNiro in Taxi Driver. Great performance. The script is great, but in ways a complex one. This ain't a cookie-cutter formula movie and definitely merits a second viewing. The direction and cinematography are excellent, soundtrack also excellent.

This movie is a character study of an evil crazy comic book villain, and it goes way beyond what I expected.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 12257 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I don't think bubbatime and I enjoy the same movies.

I watched it last night and thought it was excellent.

Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails.

We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled.

Posts: 3255 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went to see this movie a few days ago. In no way is this a comic book movie or a superhero movie, ala Justice League, Wonder Woman, et al. This is a dark, gritty film and it is fantastic. I haven't watched the Academy Awards in at least a decade, and don't go around using the term Oscar-worthy, but this film is Best Picture material and Joaquin Phoenix definitely deserves Best Actor. However, judging by the left's response, I doubt either one of those things will happen.

Posts: 4488 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great performance by Phoenix. Very slow. Slooooowwwwww. I almost fell asleep. You are either going to love it or hate it. I hated it. Boring as all hell.

Posts: 2262 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post