SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP) Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Not only would you realize why he doesn't like them, but you are missing the bigger point. Walt is an asshole, with a raging ego under the surface of his quiet science teacher persona. That is the show, his transformation into Heisenberg, aka Evil Walt. He is a supreme dick, and you are seeing flashes of that early


I would have to respectfully disagree. Walt Sr. was a good guy but he does have an ego problem. He got dealt a shitty hand with the cancer and it motivated him to do whatever it took so long as he could accomplish his goal of providing financial security to his family AND only doing it without accepting help from others (however, the offer from his college buddies is more than that as we know). If Walt never got cancer, he'd continue being a good person and the idea of cooking meth would be 100% out of the question even though money is tight and life didn't turn out the way he wanted.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Walt Jr. is one of my favorite characters because his character and integrity doesn't change throughout the series and he is the only proof that his parents were once loving, decent and honorable people.




Minor Spoiler



Walt is a good person? What show did you watch? He fucks over friends, family, colleagues, kills people, poisons children, murders with no hesitation. He is an evil man, his cancer is just an excuse to become what he is, Heisenberg. He isn't just worried about providing, as even Jessie says he only needed $750,000 to do everything he wanted for his family. He wanted more, he wanted respect and fear and to have his empire. That's why he couldn't let Jessie and Mike sell the methlamine and walk away with $5 million. He needed to feed his ego, it had nothing to do with cancer or family anymore.


---------------------------------
- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"
 
Posts: 7276 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Trying not to spoiler, maybe my favorite scene was Walt's last conversation with his wife. He knew who he was and had lived true to that person. A post-modern hero for the ages.


___________________________
"Not only are (progs) not smarter than you, there's something wrong with them." -- Tammy Bruce
 
Posts: 4340 | Location: Columbia, Illinois | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Not only would you realize why he doesn't like them, but you are missing the bigger point. Walt is an asshole, with a raging ego under the surface of his quiet science teacher persona. That is the show, his transformation into Heisenberg, aka Evil Walt. He is a supreme dick, and you are seeing flashes of that early


I would have to respectfully disagree. Walt Sr. was a good guy but he does have an ego problem. He got dealt a shitty hand with the cancer and it motivated him to do whatever it took so long as he could accomplish his goal of providing financial security to his family AND only doing it without accepting help from others (however, the offer from his college buddies is more than that as we know). If Walt never got cancer, he'd continue being a good person and the idea of cooking meth would be 100% out of the question even though money is tight and life didn't turn out the way he wanted.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Walt Jr. is one of my favorite characters because his character and integrity doesn't change throughout the series and he is the only proof that his parents were once loving, decent and honorable people.




Minor Spoiler



Walt is a good person? What show did you watch? He fucks over friends, family, colleagues, kills people, poisons children, murders with no hesitation. He is an evil man, his cancer is just an excuse to become what he is, Heisenberg. He isn't just worried about providing, as even Jessie says he only needed $750,000 to do everything he wanted for his family. He wanted more, he wanted respect and fear and to have his empire. That's why he couldn't let Jessie and Mike sell the methlamine and walk away with $5 million. He needed to feed his ego, it had nothing to do with cancer or family anymore.


Another thing Walt may teach us is that Heisenberg may be in many of us, waiting. A few setbacks, encounter the wrong people, make a few bad choices . . .

Maybe not to the extent of giving ricin to a child, but to some degree.




The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
 
Posts: 44448 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah Walt is never a good man.

He's a bitter loser full of resentment, frustrated bitter pride, envy and pure rage. He's also cowardly and weak, hence repressed - he starts off playing at being a good little doobie because he doesn't want to make waves.

Sometimes 'finding yourself' and 'exploring your untapped potential' aren't purely good, beneficial things.
 
Posts: 2161 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well gosh, that sounds wonderful.


____________________________________________________

There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it. ― George Bernard Shaw
 
Posts: 80176 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
Yeah Walt is...a bitter loser full of resentment, frustrated bitter pride, envy and pure rage. He's also cowardly and weak, hence repressed...

So, like a ton of regular people, then. Smile
 
Posts: 21999 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Don't worry. I hear that you finallly begin to care about the character around episode 260. Razz


____________________________________________________

There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it. ― George Bernard Shaw
 
Posts: 80176 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well gosh, that sounds wonderful.


You're not clued in to all that right away.

It's an amusing inversion of the 'meek guy finds himself and becomes a hero' theme. There's a lot of humor involved, but usually quite dark. IMO without the humor it wouldn't be really watchable.
 
Posts: 2161 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:

I would have to respectfully disagree. Walt Sr. was a good guy but he does have an ego problem. He got dealt a shitty hand with the cancer and it motivated him to do whatever it took so long as he could accomplish his goal of providing financial security to his family AND only doing it without accepting help from others (however, the offer from his college buddies is more than that as we know). If Walt never got cancer, he'd continue being a good person and the idea of cooking meth would be 100% out of the question even though money is tight and life didn't turn out the way he wanted.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Walt Jr. is one of my favorite characters because his character and integrity doesn't change throughout the series and he is the only proof that his parents were once loving, decent and honorable people.




Minor Spoiler



Walt is a good person? What show did you watch? He fucks over friends, family, colleagues, kills people, poisons children, murders with no hesitation. He is an evil man, his cancer is just an excuse to become what he is, Heisenberg. He isn't just worried about providing, as even Jessie says he only needed $750,000 to do everything he wanted for his family. He wanted more, he wanted respect and fear and to have his empire. That's why he couldn't let Jessie and Mike sell the methlamine and walk away with $5 million. He needed to feed his ego, it had nothing to do with cancer or family anymore.


Walt Sr. WAS a good person. Obviously he ISN'T a good person once he started breaking bad.

Walt Sr. came close to getting the money he needed but there was always setbacks that forced him and Jessie to double down and that meant more money but more lies which destroyed his relationship with Skylar. By the time Walt Sr. hit his savings goal, he had already lost Skylar and his job. One thing men need in life is purpose and seeing that he "paid the price" by losing his wife and his old life, he embraced Heisenberg and did it solely for the power, money and prestige.


Most viewers find that out in episode 261.


__________________________________________________________________

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.
 
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
No interest .
 
Posts: 1355 | Location: The deep South | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I watched it all. I hated a lot of it and honestly do not know how I stuck it out to the end. my two favorite scenes are the entire final episode (especially when he talks with his wife), and the demise of Gus. There are moments of really good writing that were fun to watch.



This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson
 
Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most viewers find that out in episode 261.


LOL


---------------------------------
- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"
 
Posts: 7276 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Put off watching the show for years. It has some really good moments. Better Call Saul is fantastic!

As an aside, I almost gave up on Deadwood two episodes in. If I may borrow from Godfather II “Holy Mary! What a misunderstanding!”.
 
Posts: 583 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
No interest .


You get the award for the most insightful post ever. Thank you for your contribution. I look forward to reading other threads to see if you do have interest, or don't have interest.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Totus Tuus

 
Posts: 4104 | Location: Philadelphia, Pa | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Proud member of
the vanning collective
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI I have quit reading replies as I want no spoilers.
Almost done with Season 3 and I will admit it is getting better but I am still not able to suggest it as a good show as the 1st 2 seasons are so painful.


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 18207 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
No interest .


You get the award for the most insightful post ever. Thank you for your contribution. I look forward to reading other threads to see if you do have interest, or don't have interest.


My bank told me: "Interest Free!" They meant they had no interest in giving me a loan.
 
Posts: 5566 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Almost done with Season 3 and I will admit it is getting better


Aha!! Gotcha motherfucker!! The director is known for being artsy and slow, but he weaves a good story.


______________________________________________________
Often times a very small man can cast a very large shadow
 
Posts: 3991 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I watched the BB reruns on Sunday. Just like the first time, I was hooked instantly. I watched all of them and set my DVR to record them next Sunday too. I don't understand the comments about it taking a long time to get rolling at all. By the end of the pilot, it was going strong.
 
Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Proud member of
the vanning collective
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Still have not read any replies as I want no spoilers.
Just finished season 4 and it was gaining a bit of traction as being watchable to the point I would suggest it to others all that completely went with how Gus left the nursing home room.

That little twist/surprise was stupid.


--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
 
Posts: 18207 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Say my name.


--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks
 
Posts: 1505 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP)

© SIGforum 2017