SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I like some Taylor Swift songs, and I'm not sorry.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I like some Taylor Swift songs, and I'm not sorry. Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Saw her early on before she hit the bigs at a local street festival. Good show then, but I would not pay to see her now.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I like TS. I’m a big fan. It’s easy to get her to autograph a poster as it doesn’t take much to elbow her scrawny tweener fans out of the way. I don’t know about her being self-important, she just knows what she wants. As I understand it, her career is pretty much her own doing and drive.

Her song Shake It Off points to her not taking herself too seriously.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I liked her when she was first coming up and played on the country stations. Now, meh.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
...it's basically been going on since the beginning of radio.

Yeah, mass-produced musical dreck is nothing new.

Hard to believe this was the "Justin Bieber" in my high school years. Bubblegum crap at the time, but compared to nowadays, doesn't sound that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djl34LmdGPI

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I'm an XM flipper too. I have never heard a TS song as I move on when her name appears. In the 60's we called this 'bubblegum' music.

Like this? Big Grin

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Some of her songs are not bad at all for the pop genre. At her level, she is working with the top writers and producers in the business.

And I don't know that she is cray-cray. She appears to have a very savvy and sophisticated business mindset. She calls the shots and has managed her career brilliantly to this point. She has power in the business that very few artists achieve. If any entertainer is going to be a role model, you could do worse the Taylor Swift for an example of an independent, empowered women kicking ass in a male-dominated industry.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Skinny girls don't normally do anything for me as I like curvy types but I find her hot as hell.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
To quote Luke Skywalker “She’s rich”

I don’t care for her music but she is nice to look at.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
My first impression upon hearing her was that she was a whiny princess type, but I think my first exposure was break-up songs. I don't mind listening to her, and even though she seems kinda crazy with boyfriends she also seems like a good person. You always hear about her doing nice surprises, like showing up at a children's hospital ward to sing with the kids, or attending a baby shower for a fan.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Well if we're going all confessional and whatnot, I like Bruno Mar's "Uptown Funk." Kinda puts me in mind of the old Morris Day and the Time....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine has maintained that there are only 2 types of music and I have come to agree with him. The 2 types? Good, and bad. I don't care who does the music if it sounds good to me and/or the lyrics are especially clever or meaningful then I think its a good song. If not, well its a bad song.

I have to say that I haven't heard anything by Kanye that is good. There are several Taylor Swift songs that I really like though. We are Never Getting Back Together is one of them. Not sure why, but I like it. I really like the song Highway Don't Care with her and Tim McGraw, even though I am not a Keith Urban fan he does a really nice job on the guitar on that song.

More and more these days I 'bing' through youtube to watch videos and find songs I like. 80s stuff mostly, but by taking a flyer once in a while on the suggestions I find a whole new artist or group that I never heard of before. Then I end up watching their videos and listening to their songs for a few days or weeks until I get a bit bored with them and move back to my classics or find something else new.

I recently "discovered" Kacie Musgraves, The Band Perry and Little Big Town by searching youtube. Had heard a song or two by the last 2 but didn't know anything about them and had never heard of Kacie. She's pretty good if a bit cynical and progressive for my tastes.

A lot of it is very shrewd marketing but Taylor does some very good deeds for her fans and promotes them, but they mean a lot to her fans and she seems pretty sincere in her appreciation of them. So far she is pretty much scandal free and hasn't mouthed off about hating her country (that I know of) so she is ok by me.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Even though I'm tumbling down the rabbit hole towards the Big Six-O, it's obnoxious, screechy music of the headbangin', geee-tar riffed type that is still what I listen and gravitate to the most. Wife thinks I'm nuts and wishes I would grow up. But thrash, punk, grunge and even hair bands is the sort of noise I roll with. Most of my life. Well that and Mozart. Sometimes Beethoven, bits of Bach. Occasional Coltrane, Washington, Jr. and Getz, with some dollops of Desmond for the mellow moments.

The current pop stuff is mostly unoffensively okay if equally just as forgettable. Hell, pop stuff from all eras is mostly forgettable...except when it gets stuck in one's craw and try as one might the damn tune reverbs in the brain and can't be unheard, set aside and forgotten. But when the songwriting and lyrics are strong and show talent I tend to like the music. Ed Sheeran I think is good. Swift is kinda okay...at times. But I'd rather listen to her older pop-country material than her NYC-twinged mainstream music.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She was on some I-heart special , last night.
( three songs worth)
she has always had talent, but she's old enough now to stop with the songs for 14 year olds and quit trying to hop, skip and jump all over the stage .

Use your voice , its good, mature up your song writing and quit bitching about your love life.

yes I like her music but its time to transition

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
She was on some I-heart special , last night.
( three songs worth)
she has always had talent, but she's old enough now to stop with the songs for 14 year olds and quit trying to hop, skip and jump all over the stage .

Use your voice , its good, mature up your song writing and quit bitching about your love life.

yes I like her music but its time to transition

Bro, have you even listened to her new album? Transition complete.

Anyhow, I am a fellow traveler. I went to see her in concert in 2015. Took my family along so they could also enjoy the show... Big Grin

I like her music. I like her brand. I like how she carries herself. I like how she treats her fans. Her music is quite a bit better than most pop music today.

If my daughter grew up to be just like T-Swizzle, I think I'd be ok with that.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bro, have you even listened to her new album?

will go listen to some of it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad. I had a crush on her for a while. When her album Red came out, Papa Johns had a promo that her album was $5 from them when you ordered a pizza. Guess who ordered 2 pizzas and got 2 copies?

1986 was really her truest pop breakthrough.
Reputation is 1986 taken to another level.

For a pop star, she is great.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post