SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Roux for Gumbo do you like it thick or thin?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roux for Gumbo do you like it thick or thin? Login/Join 
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
Medium thickness. like warm molasses

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Thick but without okra. Okra is meant to be fried.

Without okra it's not gumbo. It's just a soup or stew. Gumbo MUST have okra to be gumbo. The name itself means okra.

I almost always put okra in my gumbo (and often break the rules and also add file), but the origin of the name isn't completely clear.

Yes, the name of okra in many west African languages is something like "quingombo" - but the name for filé powder in Choctaw is "kombo."

Even if we accept the premise that the name comes from the okra, gumbo has been made in too many variations without okra for too long by real Louisiana people for gumbo without okra not to be gumbo.

Look up recipes for gumbo Paul Prudhomme has published. The ones I've looked at don't have okra in them.

Back on the main topic, all gumbo is good, but I'll vote for thickish Cajun gumbo - really dark roux, no tomatoes.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max628:
After a recent trip to the French quarter my wife has decided she kind of likes a little Creole. .............

Maybe she wasn't referring to food..............

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Thick, as if it comes out like veggie soup, ya just made spicy veggie soup

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Thick but without okra. Okra is meant to be fried.

Without okra it's not gumbo. It's just a soup or stew. Gumbo MUST have okra to be gumbo. The name itself means okra.

I almost always put okra in my gumbo (and often break the rules and also add file), but the origin of the name isn't completely clear.

Yes, the name of okra in many west African languages is something like "quingombo" - but the name for filé powder in Choctaw is "kombo."

Even if we accept the premise that the name comes from the okra, gumbo has been made in too many variations without okra for too long by real Louisiana people for gumbo without okra not to be gumbo.

Look up recipes for gumbo Paul Prudhomme has published. The ones I've looked at don't have okra in them.

Back on the main topic, all gumbo is good, but I'll vote for thickish Cajun gumbo - really dark roux, no tomatoes.

The choctaw thing has never been taken seriously by experts and historians since there is no evidence of gumbo ever being called kombo It's widely known that gumbo comes from mogombo. Louisiana doesn't get to claim ownership since it has been made all over the south forever.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post