SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Scary movies.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scary movies. Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted
Discussing scary movies with co-workers My definition is different than some.

Scary for me, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Psycho, Seven.

Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, Freddy Kruger don't exist. Crazy People do.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Barbarella

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the first Halloween.

The Shining.

The Exorcist.

Wolf Creek.

Most modern ones don't do much because they are 're-dos' of what you have seen before.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
The original "The Thing" with Jim Arness.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
When I watched The Ring, I wasn't scared afterward like I usually am when watching a horror movie. But seven days later, I was curled up under my covers while trying my best to only occupy the half that was farthest away from the television that sat at the foot of my bed.

I get scared by most scary movies.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
First Alien was awesome. I have to believe that somewhere out there are creatures/beings that would not be friendly to us.

Forbidden Planet, Day The Earth Stood Still, and the original Outer Limits scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like different types, some Scary and others "Scary" and most in between:

Funny-Scary: Slither, Severance, Cabin in the Woods, Scary Movie, Scream...

Classic-Scary: Exorcist, Shining, Phantasm, Psycho, original War of the Worlds...

Space-Scary: Alien, Event Horizon...

Psychological-Scary: Seven, The Cell..

Crazy-Scary: The Hills Have Eyes, Devil's Rejects, SAW, Hostel...

Asian-Scary: Ringu/The Ring, The Eye...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Event Horizon; evil scary.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Gothic haunted houses creep me out, so I love The Haunting (1963) and The Innocents (1961). Also claustrophobic situations, so I was unnerved in The Decent (2005). Oh, and that scene in Aliens where they seal Lance Henriksen into the small pipe and he has to squirm on his belly all the way to the radar dish? F-that, man!

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Scary for me, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Psycho, Seven. Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, Freddy Kruger don't exist. Crazy People do.

Michael Myers is a crazy person in the first film - stone cold psychopathic. It's only in the sequels that he becomes a supernatural ridiculously unkillable boogeyman.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:
Event Horizon; evil scary.

This, scariest movie I've ever seen

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It's a given that we find "bug-eyed monsters" and supernatural beings scary. The OP refers to people who you wouldn't notice if you passed by them on the street. Also, their behaviors are something that all human beings are capable of. A member here has a signature line: "We all have demons, mine are just well fed." We keep these demons buried and suppressed in our "id," something that Forbidden Planet addressed.

I only saw the commercialized and sanitized version of it - and on the Lifetime channel, no less - but Orphan was pretty creepy.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Gothic haunted houses creep me out, so I love The Haunting (1963) and The Innocents (1961). Also claustrophobic situations, so I was unnerved in The Decent (2005). Oh, and that scene in Aliens where they seal Lance Henriksen into the small pipe and he has to squirm on his belly all the way to the radar dish? F-that, man!

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Scary for me, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Psycho, Seven. Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers, Freddy Kruger don't exist. Crazy People do.

Michael Myers is a crazy person in the first film - stone cold psychopathic. It's only in the sequels that he becomes a supernatural ridiculously unkillable boogeyman.

Also Jason was not the killer in Friday the 13th. His crazy mom was.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Pandorum

That movie completely freaks me out. I still can't sit through it by myself.

All the Alien movies. Those things are by far the creepiest and scariest made up life forms ever. Similar creatures made an appearance in Pitch Black and the second half of that movie makes me squirm in my seat as well...

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are definitely different categories of scary. Slasher/stalker flicks I categorize as "thriller" type movies.

Typically, the movies that scare me tend to be on the paranormal side. As several have mentioned, Even Horizon is a favorite. However, I tend to prefer when the movie leaves more to the imagination. I have a hard time thinking of a movie that once the ghost/creature/etc is shown, it actually makes the movie scarier. This is one reason I really liked the first Paranormal Activity movie. It showed nothing. This is why darkness is scary, because of the imagination.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to look through the air holes in my baseball hat when I saw this one, I was around 8 yrs old.

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/mjXmLrR6uWQ [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
This is one reason I really liked the first Paranormal Activity movie. It showed nothing. This is why darkness is scary, because of the imagination.

As I stated before, I am frequently scared by scary movies; however, Paranormal Activity is a total fucking joke. I literally started laughing every time the music started up to foreshadow something about to happen. This movie is one of the few that caused me to do the black thing and yell at the screen.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The Legend of Hell House (1973 Roddy McDowell):

Another to add to the list is Event Horizon:

It.......still hate clowns thanks to Pennywise:

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Activity[/i] is a total fucking joke. I literally started laughing every time the music started up to foreshadow something about to happen. This movie is one of the few that caused me to do the black thing and yell at the screen.

I have to agree. Never understood the success of this movie.

The Conjuring I have to say though was pretty good for a scare. That was the last great scary movie I've watched since
The Ring.

The Ring got me because I was working on a harbor tug at the time it came out in the theaters. We were tied up to the dock until the morning so the rest of the crew who all lived local went home while I went out to see the cinema to see a movie. Saw The Ring.

I went back to the tug where I slept onboard by myself on a quiet, creaky boat with my tv at the foot of my bed. I kept expecting it to turn on and the Ring video to start playing. I really freaked myself out that night.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alfred Hitchcock films by far. Your imagination fills in the details. People are all different. The Changeling which is based on a true story was frightening if you have small children, do not trust authorities, and enjoy an element of mystery. That was Clint Eastwood directed.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Conjuring was definitely scary. As in bad shit was coming, you were ready, you mutter, and DAMN. Got you. Last really scary movie I've seen.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post