SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Easy to Follow Instructions--When the Levee Breaks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easy to Follow Instructions--When the Levee Breaks Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
So, if you want the "lift" in the drum sound that this song exemplifies, all you have to do is set your kit up in the foyer, at the base of the stairway, of a 3-story stone house. Oh, you have to be able to bang 'em like John Bonham too.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I'll have no place to stay.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always liked that song, and, of course, the rest of the album.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I remember the story correctly the kit was set up there by accident but when they heard the sound they decided to keep it?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
If I remember the story correctly the kit was set up there by accident but when they heard the sound they decided to keep it?

I guess recording engineer, Andy Johns (brother of Glyn Johns) takes credit for the idea of setting up the drums in the foyer. He states that there were two other components of the sound. He put a couple up mics up the first flight of stairs and also used an echo device that Jimmy Page had bought. Further, I read somewhere that Plant's vocal was the only thing recorded at normal speed, the drum sound, and everything else was slowed down on the board to give sustain to the "lift" achieved in the stairwell.

Another subject, but I love the adjectives that musicians have created to describe the sounds of various instrument/amplifier/artist combinations

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post