SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Book recommendation time again...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book recommendation time again... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Need a new series, something in the fantasy realm. I much prefer something where the whole series is done already or there are enough in the series to keep you going a while. I like Weeks, Sanderson, Salvatore, Abercrombie, etc.

Large epic 2000 page books don't scare me, I like something you can get lost in a while.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim butcher codex alera,
Jim butcher dresden files,

Brandon sanderson mistborn series is a solid B. Not as good as weeks or butcher, but good.

Todd lockwood : summer dragon
John gwynne the faithful and the fallen
T ellory hodges : the never paradox

B minus
James islington the lycanius trilogy

More humor
Robert bevan critical failures
Dennis e taylor We are bob
Scott meyers magic 2.0

Space opera
Marko kloos: front lines

Cristopher g nuttal :
Ark royal series
A learning experience series
The empire's corps

Craig alanson: the expeditionary force

For a fantastic read, an epic A+ book
Eji Yoshikowa :musashi

https://www.amazon.com/Musashi...ai-Era/dp/156836427X

On the musashi theme
David Kirk child od vengance and sword of honor

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glenn Cook's Black Company series. It has been described as the Vietnam war on drugs.

If you like sci-fi then David Drake's Hammer's Slammers.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
Glenn Cook's Black Company series. It has been described as the Vietnam war on drugs.

Heavy, mind-altering drugs. Not just a little weed. Big Grin

I found that series pretty hard to get into, but once I did get into it, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Be prepared for a period of confusion, though. They basically drop you right into the middle of the story, and don't bother to hold your hand while you try to get oriented and figure out just what in the hell is going on.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
I like Naomi Novik's "Temeraire" series - the Napoleanic War fought with dragons. Eight books so far.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:

Heavy, mind-altering drugs. Not just a little weed. Big Grin

I found that series pretty hard to get into, but once I did get into it, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Be prepared for a period of confusion, though. They basically drop you right into the middle of the story, and don't bother to hold your hand while you try to get oriented and figure out just what in the hell is going on.

There was a mechanized unit I believe in the Iraq War that flew the Black Company banner. Wink

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The Gunslinger series...Stephen King

The Wheel of time series...Robert Jordan

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Orson Scott Card: Ender & Shadow series.
Spans 4 books for Ender & 4-5 for Shadow.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Spans 4 books for Ender & 4-5 for Shadow.

These are good too...

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
The Gunslinger series...Stephen King

Stephen king is a rabid anti gunner. I have no wish to give him my money.

quote:
Spans 4 books for Ender & 4-5 for Shadow

The first book was okay. Books 2,3,4 were an excellent reason for commiting suicide.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out F Paul Wilson. The repairman Jack series. It's modern day setting but basically a light vs dark main storyline. About 10 books in the series if I remember correctly.

Ken S

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
How about the "Dragonriders of Pern" series by Anne McCraffey? Somewhere around 24 books so far.

For space opera, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
How about the "Dragonriders of Pern" series by Anne McCraffey? Somewhere around 24 books so far.

For space opera, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

For some reason i thought he put weber in his list of authors, which is why i did not list him.

For modern day fantasy. Larry Correia and Mike Kupari's: Dead Six is a kick ass trilogy. Just a good solid A of a duet if you will.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, not mentioned & not complete yet.
Game of Thrones

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Spans 4 books for Ender & 4-5 for Shadow

The first book was okay. Books 2,3,4 were an excellent reason for commiting suicide.

Xenocide (3rd book) dragged on a bit, but Speaker for the Dead (2nd) & Children of the Mind (4th) I think flowed better.

The Shadow series definitely has a better pace & occurs directly after Ender's Game/Shadow.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

The first book is called Wizard's First Rule.

For me, this was the book that really turned me on to this genre. It's still one of my favorites because it doesn't read like a Dungeons and Dragons manual.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

Starts with Assassin's Apprentice.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

The first book is called Wizard's First Rule.

For me, this was the book that really turned me on to this genre.

+1 I'm on book 5 or 6

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
And I know you only wanted to hear about series that are already finished...

But Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles is in it's 2nd book of a planned trilogy. The first book, The Name of the Wind, is magnificent.

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Have you read the whole Monster Hunter International series?
When a new one comes out, I read it nonstop, however long it takes

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post