SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Man in the High Castle - BEWARE!!! Here there be spoilers!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Man in the High Castle - BEWARE!!! Here there be spoilers! Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Well, it's all over with. I kinda doubt we have any spin-offs waiting to happen. In some ways, I'm kinda bummed about that....

I wanted to see Childan and Yumiko(?) reunited.
I wanted to see the weirdness of Kido trying to redeem himself while working with the Yakuza.
I want to see what happened to Smith's second-in-command (well, now Reichsmarshall I guess) after chucking the Nazi medal on the map.

And most importantly, I want to know who all those people coming OUT of the portal were? LOL Replacements for those unjustly killed in the Naziverse?? Was Hawthorne heading into the light to find his wife?

I am also curious what IRL situation there was that they killed Tagomi off so fast for. That seemed super rushed.

Anyway.....have at it!!!!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this thread Big Grin

Personally, the fact Childan is eventually going to be reunited with her satisfying enough and one of the "happier endings" of the finale.
(Plus I actually halfway expected the boat to explode taking him and Kido's son out - and Kido's little "do I outrank you" exchange was hilarious.)

My take on the ending was this...
Whitcroft (Smith's SIC) previously mentioned in the episode where they debate joining the Nazi's about joining, but "biding their time".
Then, before Smith goes to Berlin, he makes another comment about having the nukes and being their own superpower and going their own way.
Combine that with Goertzmann's pack to Smith that the US is his, without interference and Whitcroft taking off the Nazi medal - I think it's the beginning of the US escaping Nazi rule and going "back to normal."
I have to say, I kept thinking that at any moment, Smith would "come around" and turn good. The flashbacks and alt-timeline actions seem to plant the seeds it was possible, maybe even likely. But I like how it turned out.

The people coming out of the light had me scratching my head too. At first I thought it might be the "good" people killed off returning (one of them [i[really[/i] looked like Frank Frink for a second) or military reinforcements to battle the remaining Nazi's.
One train of thought is they were normal people from other universes coming to help/give hope/tales of other worlds/etc to the people in this timeline. If the films could motivate people like Juliana to do what they did, could it have worked in reverse? The tales of this universe spreading to others and those others coming to help...

I assumed Hawthorne was going to find his wife - but IIRC he never saw her in any other timelines - IDK.

I'm still wondering what activated the portal by itself and the significance of the color change of the light. (Galactic karma/good/etc.?)

And yes, Tagomi being completely absent from S4 is very odd. To the point I looked on IMDB to see if he'd died or there was some falling out. His was one of my absolute favorite characters.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
True. The thing about how he'd be a second-class citizen there, but that was WHILE he had his fortune in Americana. And yeah, Kido was funny.

I think Whitcroft would have a tough row to hoe. Maybe if it was FIVE years after occupation, but not 15-20. Too many whites would be too invested in the whole Aryan thing. We'd have a civil war, Nazis vs Americans. Having seen what happened with the Jewish officer, I'm surprised Smith was as hardcore as he was. I was waiting on him to come around too.

As for the light, they switched from "cool white" to "warm".

I loathed the idea of "mechanical transport". Turning it into some sort of natural phenomenon seemed lame to me. So did all those folks at the end find a mine shaft in Pennsylvania? Julia and Tagomi didn't need to be at a specific geographical location to travel.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

And yes, Tagomi being completely absent from S4 is very odd. To the point I looked on IMDB to see if he'd died or there was some falling out. His was one of my absolute favorite characters.

I've read in several reviews that his absence really spoiled the season with him being one of the major characters. I think he may have had to drop out for medical reasons or it's possible he did pass away?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

I've read in several reviews that his absence really spoiled the season with him being one of the major characters. I think he may have had to drop out for medical reasons or it's possible he did pass away?

After a little more Googling...

https://www.newsweek.com/man-h...bell-mallory-1472014

"In The Man in the High Castle Season 4's first major shock, Tagomi is assassinated in the opening episode. This may have partly been because the actor who plays him, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, who has also starred in Mortal Kombat and Revenge, is currently in the cast of Netflix's Lost in Space."

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
The thing that bothered me most about the ending was all these people coming out of a tunnel with Nazi stuff everywhere, and they're just walking and talking and chatting like normal? Like this is expected for them?

You'd think there'd be at least some looking around and wondering where they were and how they got there.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/19/t...ained-series-finale/

“What should be clear to any viewer is that the portal is, essentially, open and it is going to remain open. In effect, what that means is two worlds have become one. There’s a doorway from one world into the next, and now people can move freely between them. What does that mean? You have ordinary people, in some interpretations, who have been called to this event, who are moving through the portal, and these two worlds are going to be fused.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Snake207,

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Wasn't clear to me. LOL

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Up to episode 7 so I'm not reading the above. The only series that I don't skip the intro!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
The thing that bothered me most about the ending was all these people coming out of a tunnel with Nazi stuff everywhere, and they're just walking and talking and chatting like normal? Like this is expected for them?

You'd think there'd be at least some looking around and wondering where they were and how they got there.
Yeah, I was thinking that it would have been better (if there had been a bit longer time break for Thomas to be a semi-seasoned Marine) and instead of random people walking in, a force of US Marines rolls through to help - with Thomas meeting Juliana (who he would know from her time in the other reality).

But other than that sorta head scratcher, I like how it went - although like others, I missed Tagomi as a character but I think they dealt with it well - still, a flashback scene or something with his voice would have tied it all together a bit better for me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
On the subject of Thomas - is it a foregone conclusion he'll die in the alt-world as well in Vietnam?
(Especially how his departure mirrors that from Smith's world.)

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Just finished it, and I agree with everything above. I would like to add one very important point and that is, Chelah Horsdal is one of the hottest women on the planet! A perfect ending would have been John Smith unleashing armageddon on Nazi Germany then escaping to the other Earth with Chelah Horsdal and having both Chelahs!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post