SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone else looking forward to the movie 'The Call of the Wild'?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else looking forward to the movie 'The Call of the Wild'? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of CGI. I will pass. Great book though!

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure if Togo used CGI (definitely didn't seem so).

The CGI dog is this is so blatantly obvious, as to be a distraction.

Will wait for some reviews to surface & probably wait til it his streaming.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish they would make a movie of the book Hatchet.

Hell yes! I read that book in grade school and thought it was equal to, if not better than Jack London. What an amazing book for a young man to read.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too, read The Call of the Wild as a kid, and several times since. It's one of my favorite books.

It's worth noting that the final third or so of the book is Buck going back and forth between the wolves, and the gold camp, weighing the "call" to his loyalty to Thornton. Then Thornton is murdered by Indians and Buck takes bloody revenge on pretty mush the whole tribe, then runs with the wolves in the wild.

The book is about the savagery that lives in each of us, beneath a thin veneer of civility. It's also about how sometimes that savagery is exactly what's needed. Buck doesn't succeed until the "civilization" is stripped from him, allowing him to be more like the wolves.

With that in mind, and the current state of Hollywood, I have no faith that this movie will do justice to one of my favorite books. I hope they will, but I really expect them to destroy the story in the attempt to tell something completely different. Just the protagonist's murder by Indians scene. There's no chance that get's shot today. White folks in the wild aren't the victims in a modern movie.

I hope I'm wrong. We'll see what the early reviews say.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I think its worth a look. I'll go see it.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll pass because it's a dog movie.
Something always happens to the dog.
Scarred by Old Yeller as a child.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:
I'll pass because it's a dog movie.
Something always happens to the dog.
Scarred by Old Yeller as a child.

Oh, man, you're killing me! I hadn't thought about Old Yeller in years. You just took me back to a darkened theater, childhood, and the saddest thing I'd witnessed to that time.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:

Oh, man, you're killing me! I hadn't thought about Old Yeller in years. You just took me back to a darkened theater, childhood, and the saddest thing I'd witnessed to that time.

Yep, I saw that quite young and I'd have to say it was first time death really had a meaning. Just brutal.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i caught a few seconds of the trailer and stopped it with the c.g.i. dog expressions. you know. c.g.i. dog expressions so we know what they're thinking. saved me from walking out of a theater.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Well we went last night to see it since we had such fond memories of the book.

But since I read it over 50 years ago I have no idea how true the movie was to the book!

Having said that we both thought it was a pretty good movie and neither of us are “dog people” per se.

Several great laughs and some touching moments. If you just want to see a feel good movie give it a shot..

And spoiler alert, Buck does not die...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Buck becomes alpha and the Indians fear the new larger wolf pack that he breeds if I recall correctly. Happy story if you are the dog. Lol

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Sorry I have nothing of substance to contribute!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post