SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Best "Dirty Harry" film?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Best "Dirty Harry" film? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The Colt Pythons, the S&W Model 76 subgun, the Model 29 and all the talk about shooting skills, and the competition scene in the film

Watched Magnum Force yesterday afternoon. What a fun movie. In addition to the above, I love the indoor range scene when Callahan first meets the traffic cops. It was only in recent years that I recognized "light special" loads to mean .44 Special.

A movie essentially about firearms, geez the entire opening credits is a shot of a Model 29-2. Again a fun film. Tomorrow, The Enforcer...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Who would have thought David Soul, Robert Ulrich, and Tim Matheson for goodness sake could be so menacing?

Magnum Force was badass.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep, I wanted a Python so bad back then... never got one.. many years later the best I could do was a Colt Trooper.

I found Magnum Force too campy but it does have the best tag line of all of them... I've used it for years and my personal mantra with a little modification:
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
In 2020, Colt answered the prayers of revolver fans everywhere with the re-release of the legendary Colt Python.

When Colt's Manufacturing began re-introducing models from its legendary "snake-gun" lineup several years back, consumers began the long chant for the Python. Now, after the Cobra (reviewed here) and the King Cobra (covered in our Gun of the Week video here), Colt finally answered calls for the king of the snake guns with the new-for-2020 re-release of the Colt Python.

Like the classic Pythons of yesteryear, the 2020 models feature the full-underlug barrel and the ventilated top rib, providing that classic look that wheelgun fans love. However, Colt took the re-release of this revolver a step further. Early-model Pythons required a great deal of hand-fitting, and this often led to inconsistencies. There were even differences in trigger-pull weight experienced from cylinder to cylinder.

To avoid these issues and streamline production, Colt re-worked the internal mechanisms of the Python revolver, cutting out 17 unneeded components, which reduced the number of friction points within the revolver's frame. The gun also received Colt's next-generation trigger system, which provides a smooth, stack-free double-action trigger pull and a crisp single-action pull.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I have always had a soft spot for the Python, but the Model 29 is the star of the series. This thread has inspired me to watch it again. I have it on Blu-ray but it's been collecting dust too long.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I like the original, "Dirty Harry," the best.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Magnum Force.

They are all pretty great in my mind, but Magnum Force had everything. They don't make em like that anymore.

Posts: 5138 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Watched Magnum Force yesterday afternoon. What a fun movie. In addition to the above, I love the indoor range scene when Callahan first meets the traffic cops...

Sweet (Tim Matheson): "I'm farsighted."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs8AqzN9Ga4

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Watched Magnum Force yesterday afternoon. What a fun movie. In addition to the above, I love the indoor range scene when Callahan first meets the traffic cops. It was only in recent years that I recognized "light special" loads to mean .44 Special.

Yeah, I first saw it when I was still fairly young and uneducated about guns. I figured "light special" was about some sort of special custom bullet or something. When I later found out what a .44 Special was, Harry's "most powerful handgun in the world" lines kind of lost some of their impact. Like, "Hey wait a minute! He's CHEATING!" Smile

To answer the OP's question, I'm going to have to give the nod to Magnum Force. Dirty Harry had the classic "Do you feel lucky, punk?" speech (and I loved how he delivered it with completely different facial expressions and tone of voice early in the movie and then at the end, completely changing his intent), but I think Magnum Force is in general a better movie.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dirty Harry, the original. It has a despicable villain, sissified bureaucrats, and the background of San Francisco, which I realize they all had, but which seems important in this film, since they were cashing in on the Zodiac.
Magnum force is second, the rest are pretty much just silly. I watched them all a few months ago after I bought a 629.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me Magnum Force is #1. Now my wife will hate all of you as the DVDs will come out tonight.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
Dirty Harry, the original. It has a despicable villain, sissified bureaucrats, and the background of San Francisco, which I realize they all had, but which seems important in this film, since they were cashing in on the Zodiac.

San Francisco was a violent and fractured town, throughout the 70's. All the fun-times of the late-60's, actually spawned the political/socio disasters of the 70's.

While the Zodiac Killer was popular, there was also:
- Assassinations of SFPD officers all thru the decade by radical racial groups
- Weather Underground bombings
- Black Liberation Army
- Zebra murders (Black Muslim Death Angels)
- Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA)
- Black Liberation movement to include Black Panthers, Soledad Brothers and Angela Davis
- Multiple high-profile bank robberies by all of the above
- Chinese Triad Gangs and shoot-outs
- Jonestown massacre (Jim Jones & People's Temple)
- Mayor Moscone assassinated

Chicago and NYC had its share of social upheaval but, SF stood out for the concentration and intensity of all these groups.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post