SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "The Harlem Globetrotters in Sierra Vista,AZ" (1978)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Harlem Globetrotters in Sierra Vista,AZ" (1978) Login/Join 
Technically Adaptive
posted
It's a long video, they made some impressive shots that game Smile

Posts: 1294 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I used to love watching The Globetrotters on Wide World of Sports when I was a little kid. Wilt Chamberlain once said that the best basketball player he had ever seen was Meadowlark Lemon.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I wonder why Meadowlark never went pro?

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to have seen and remember Goose Tatum and Marcus Haynes. When I was a teen, I had a book about the history of the Trotters. Two stories that I remember, one was that Tatum had unusually long arms. He used to enjoy going into clothing stores in a new town and asking the salesman if he had a suit that would fit him. Invariably, the salesman would reply, "Why, of course, sir." To which, Tatum would reply, "Wanna bet?" The other was that one night on a European tour, they went into the baseball/football routine and when Goose did the full court dropkick, the ball swished the net. The players about fainted but the crowd went crazy, assuming it was part of the show and that they did it every night.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I'm old enough to have seen and remember Goose Tatum and Marcus Haynes. When I was a teen, I had a book about the history of the Trotters. Two stories that I remember, one was that Tatum had unusually long arms. He used to enjoy going into clothing stores in a new town and asking the salesman if he had a suit that would fit him. Invariably, the salesman would reply, "Why, of course, sir." To which, Tatum would reply, "Wanna bet?" The other was that one night on a European tour, they went into the baseball/football routine and when Goose did the full court dropkick, the ball swished the net. The players about fainted but the crowd went crazy, assuming it was part of the show and that they did it every night.

I had that book. Supposedly, Tatum's hands hung below his knees.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always fun to watch them as a kid. Got to meet Boom Boom Wheeler in the early eighties.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
I got to see them when I was a kid and they put on a great show. Cab Calloway sang Minnie the Moocher at half time and the crowd booed throughout. I felt sorry for him. Of course he was constantly on all the variety shows singing it. Maybe people were just tired of hearing it.

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heidie, heidie,heidie, ho.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I saw them twice as a kid and loved it.

quote:
Originally posted by DubiousDan:
I got to see them when I was a kid and they put on a great show. Cab Calloway sang Minnie the Moocher at half time and the crowd booed throughout. I felt sorry for him. Of course he was constantly on all the variety shows singing it. Maybe people were just tired of hearing it.

Shameful.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad was a fan of Cab Calloway and I remember him singing Minnie The Moocher around the house. Remember him in The Blues Brothers, Cab Calloway, not my dad.

Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to have seen them when I was a kid and still have the basketball I was able to get Curly and Meadowlark to autograph. They were such nice guys and went out of their way to cater to the kids at their games.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I think of them every time I hear "Sweet Georgia Brown".

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Ha! Thanks for posting. I sent it to some of my Sierra Vista high school buddies. I'm sure they will get a kick out of it.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad took us to see the Harlem Globetrotters in maybe 1977 or so, likely Fresno, CA.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post