SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Drone flight of the year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drone flight of the year Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Certainly illegal, no doubt will p.o. some but holy cow. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Guys like that are why we can't have nice things.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Operator sure knows how to handle his drone!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!" ( Fletcher in The Outlaw Josie Wales)

Posts: 644 | Location: Wisconsin,USA | Registered: September 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Actually the "drone" flight of the year lasted for 48.2 hours and is called SkyGuardian. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
jesus what kind of range does that thing have?

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Didn't look like he went that far with it, just back and forth around that trestle.

Impressive flying. And while certainly not "proper", at least he picked something to mess with that if there were a collision, the non-drone object wouldn't get a scratch. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
...at least he picked something to mess with that if there were a collision, the non-drone object wouldn't get a scratch. LOL

The engineer begs to differ. Big Grin

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I laughed outloud when he went in the open train car.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:

He's lucky he didn't lose his signal and his drone doing that.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Guy can fly!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
That was pretty neat, but it wouldn't have taken much of an error to really splatter that drone.

quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:

I was hoping there would be a hobo in that car. His reaction, and that of the pilot on seeing him, would have been priceless!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet next time the engineer will whip out a mares leg and put an end to these shenanigans. or that's how I see it ending lol.

IH8NY

Pre-existing/non-conforming

Posts: 393 | Location: LI, NY | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Ok, hate to break up the fun with a serious question, but given the capabilities and range of these things, what's to stop these from being rigged with explosives and used as remote delivery systems, say into a stadium full o people and so forth?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Ok, hate to break up the fun with a serious question, but given the capabilities and range of these things, what's to stop these from being rigged with explosives and used as remote delivery systems, say into a stadium full o people and so forth?

Nothing. IS conducted over 100 kinetic drone attacks against coalition forces during a single month of intense fighting in Mosel. They’re doing it now in Raqqa. It’s when not if we see similar styles of attack here.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Future of warfare right there.

You could dump the drones out of an AC-130 by the hundreds or thousands and relay their signals back to a bunker somewhere stateside. You'd have rooms full of 18 year olds with fast-twitch gaming reflexes piloting them. A single pilot, with the aid of computers guidance software, could probably pilot more than one drone.

Some of the drones would have explosive charges used to open windows, doors, and roofs. Others would be loaded with small caliber projectile weapons. They could swarm a small city or village and individually assassinate insurgents fighters while minimizing collateral damage.

Insurgents that are hardened against the small arms fire carried by drones, would then have to deal with a missile strike or canon fire from the loitering AC-130 gunship.

When it's all done, drones just fly up high and land back in the the hanger of the gunship.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Were I thinking of imparting maximum casualties against a larger force while conserving my smaller group's numbers, this is what I'd do. I hope someone smarter than me, somewhere in the US, is figuring out ways to prevent this from happening.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
You'd have rooms full of 18 year olds with fast-twitch gaming reflexes piloting them. A single pilot, with the aid of computers guidance software, could probably pilot more than one drone.

The fire control system in a 40 year old Tomcat can guide 6 Phoenix missiles to 6 different targets at the same time. With modern computers, hell yes.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Drones in war, its coming Skynet is aware, learning at a geometric rate, wheres John Conner

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mg7qKstnPk

Looks like he's got skills, be working for the NSA or the movie industry..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Future of warfare right there.
You could dump the drones out of an AC-130 by the hundreds or thousands and relay their signals back to a bunker somewhere stateside.

Closer than you think...swarm drones launched from F/A-18s.
Their swarm sounds (I cue'd up to it in the video) are spookier, IMO, than Jericho Trumpets.

Attached small explosives to them and boom - have a nice day Big Grin

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post