SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Local firearms sale - something odd
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local firearms sale - something odd Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My approach is pretty simple. If I don't have paper on a gun, I don't need paper when I sell it. I will still verify identity and residence of the seller by a visual inspection of a DL, but I don't need a bill of sale. If I sell a gun that I bought on a 4473 or my 03FFL, I will usually at least want to record the DL number for my records to prove disposal. The latter is a requirement for an FFL holder.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
In my opinion, if someone doesn’t want you to create a paper trial to cover your ass, it’s a no go. You’re not some type of informant, but you have to look out for you.

Yeah, what could go wrong with telling the Government everything you do? Frown

Everyone needs to prove their innocence.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
When Oregon allowed private party FTF's, I just jotted down in a notebook the S/N and make of the gun. I would set my D/L and his D/L or CHL next to the firearm I sold and took a picture.

Those were my terms. If anyone ever needed to question me, I had a picture of his CHL to prove I had no reason to believe he was prohibited from owning firearms.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just use your phone to take a photo of his papers, hopefully to include a drivers license. If he balks at that, no sale.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Any guns I sell anymore are done by an FFL on consignment. He deals with the haggling and headaches. I’m covered if the gun turns up later in some nefarious shenanigans. FFL gets 25$. I do get the friends and family deal on that

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I won't offer a bill of sale. It's not required in Alabama. I'll do one if requested. I won't include a drivers license number. If I'm the buyer in a private sale from a non-FFL holder, I won't give them a copy of my drivers license or allow them to take a photo. I'll show it to them, along with my pistol permit, but there's too much personally-identifiable information (PII) on a drivers license for me to allow someone to make a copy of it or take a picture of it when it's not required by law. I have no idea what these people do with their records. I've already dealt with identity theft once.

Most of the guns I sell nowadays are done on consignment with a local FFL. They get a cut, but it's easier for me.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
Any guns I sell anymore are done by an FFL on consignment. He deals with the haggling and headaches. I’m covered if the gun turns up later in some nefarious shenanigans. FFL gets 25$. I do get the friends and family deal on that

That's a great deal. I'd do that deal too, if I had it available. Most places charge 15% of sale price for consignment.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought and sold more guns FTF than I have through a dealer. I usually forget the name I bought from it sold to 10 minutes after we part ways.

Let the feds play their little games - you don’t need to get torqued up about it. Not having a paper trail is a wonderful thing.

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post