SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Plastic Model Builders, Please Step Inside...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plastic Model Builders, Please Step Inside... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Recent events that have highlighted the brevity of life have also made me realize how close I’m getting to the end of it, and there’s one thing I’ve always wanted to do but haven’t accomplished yet. I have always wanted to build a GOOD scale model of a P-51D Mustang!

I have seen a number of kits for them recently on the shelf at places like Hobby Lobby or my local R/C hobby shop, but they are always too small in scale for my liking; usually 1/72, or at the largest, 1/48 scale. I want a highly detailed model of at least 1/32 scale!

If any of you model builders know of good sources for such a model, I would appreciate you letting me know. Thanks!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
http://www.tamiya.com/english/...322mustang/index.htm

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several to choose from, at Rocketfin.

If you want even bigger, they are out there, here is one.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ace522
posted Hide Post
Revell just released a new-tool kit of the Mustang in 1/32. This is an early variant, without the tailfin fillet found on most P-51's. The kit is inexpenive, but hard to come by.

https://www.kitlinx.com/cgi/di...cgi?item_num=RVL3944

If you don't mind the cost, the Tamiya kit the Orguss linked is AWESOME.

Posts: 361 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
The Tamiya kit looks perfect. Thanks! I’m used to spending huge bucks on R/C flying models, so the price of this kit is quite acceptable since I want good size and very high accuracy of detail!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm building a Tamiya Warthog now.

I must say I'm impressed with the detail.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Bandai made a 1/24 version. It was '70's though so it's not that great in the detail department.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
awesome project, when its done maybe we can get Para to photograph it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post