SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Recut Godfather III- The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recut Godfather III- The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
Francis Coppola was given the chance to re-edit, and redo the third Godfather movie film for its 30th anniversary. Apparently it now has a different beginning and ending. In this clip, Coppola explains.

I liked Godfather III when I saw it in the theater, I thought is was a decent, but flawed film, by itself. But paled compared to the other two. But there are some memorable scenes, and hopefully Coppola improved the film enough. Limited release in theaters later this week and on BluRay and digital next week.

Here, Diane Keaton describes her experience of watching the recut film with Coppola, Pacino, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I've never seen III, mainly because all I've ever heard is "Don't bother... Pretend like there are only 2 Godfather movies."

Might need to check this out.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Don't bother... Pretend like there are only 2 Godfather movies."

This is wise counsel. Not only was the movie mostly a mess, his daughter should never be allowed to walk on set, let alone in front of a camera.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
his daughter should never be allowed to walk on set, let alone in front of a camera.

Luckily, she's since been allowed to walk on set behind the camera, and has created films like "Lost in Translation", which is an outstanding movie.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I actually thought Sophia was good in a few scenes, terrible in others. Same with Andy Garcia, my main gripe with the film. IMO, he was mis cast, but still had some great scenes, nonetheless. My understanding is that Coppola tightened up the film, re-positioned scenes, put in some other scenes originally cut from the final print, and created a different beginning and ending. The original is 2 hours, 50 minutes long and the new Coda release is supposed to be a shorter film. IMO, the basic story is still there, and maybe a new edit will result in a completely different film. Remember, great editing saved near disastrous films like Jaws (Verna Fields) and Star Wars (Paul Hirsch, Marcia Lucas).

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Coppola did almost all of The Godfather films as family movies. Sofia Coppola didn't do a bad job as a last minute replacement, but as the filming went on, she got more and more outside attention and got worse.

The other thing about Godfather III was the Director's Commentary helped reframe the film to the repentance and death of Michael Corleone. In the end, he gets his wish and he's out of that world, but it cost him his daughter's life.

I will say Paramount aren't doing this out of the generosity. They're bleeding money and cut off from Chinese investors. We may also be getting a 4K rerelease of Star Trek: The Motion Picture that Paramount was too cheap to make 20 years ago.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
We may also be getting a 4K rerelease of Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Quite possibly the worst Trek movie, and that's saying quite a bit considering the variety of real stinkers out there. (Okay, so maybe it's better than 5, but that's a ridiculously low bar...)

Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
THAT was Coppola?! Eek He looks like he lost half his weight.

Posts: 2661 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

The man is over 80 years old.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I'm really looking forward to this.

Giving him the chance to move scenes around, change music overlays, and from what it sounds like add some additional scenes while deleting others really gets me excited about seeing it.

It's not a terrible movie, but it certainly does not hold up to the expectations one would have after viewing the first two films.

One of my core issues with 3 was that it had an "80's movie" feel to it, especially the helicopter scene with the machine guns. That scene alone took me out of the film and I was never able to fully engage again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Quite possibly the worst Trek movie, and that's saying quite a bit considering the variety of real stinkers out there. (Okay, so maybe it's better than 5, but that's a ridiculously low bar...)

You obviously didn't see the TMP: Director's Edition that came out in 1999. Fixes quite a lot of issues with the movie.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
When is the release date?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
It opens tomorrow: Fandango

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^

And BluRay and digital early next week on the 8th.

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
It was only $15 on Amazon pre-order for the blu-ray which was cheaper than streaming. Scheduled to be delivered on the 8th. Will let you know how it is. Now I just need to convince Mrs. Highlander to rewatch 1 & 2 as pregame.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Still would love to find the Godfather Saga one day. It was 1 and 2 put together in order with a bunch of extra scenes. Every couple of years AMC might show it but it's been a long time since they have, and something with the rights means it wont be released. But it was awesome.

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Still would love to find the Godfather Saga one day. It was 1 and 2 put together in order with a bunch of extra scenes. Every couple of years AMC might show it but it's been a long time since they have, and something with the rights means it wont be released. But it was awesome.

I enjoy this one too. I recorded it on vhs but who still has one of those to watch it on? I would love a release of this one in hd.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Anyone see this yet?

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

I enjoy this one too. I recorded it on vhs but who still has one of those to watch it on? I would love a release of this one in hd.

Yes, I was hoping somewhere on the web there would be a place to burn a copy, but my pirate friends have come up empty on this

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Rented it on iTunes and just downloaded it. Going to watch on my iPad tonight. Will report back tomorrow.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post