SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    before there was Magic, there was Pistol Pete
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

before there was Magic, there was Pistol Pete Login/Join 
posted
enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHmgWeY7heM

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A great one indeed.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I consider Maravich to be the best college player in history after Lew Alcindor (Kareem Jabbar). I would also put him on my second team of all time NBA greats. One reason he was never placed in the same class as Bird, Magic, Jordan, etc. is that he was never on a great winning team (with the exception of his last season as a bench player with Bird's Celtics), and was plagued with injuries. He never won a championship, or even had that many trips to the playoffs. But in his prime, the guy was unusually talented with a basketball, almost a freak of nature. Not bad for a guy who had a heart defect all his life.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
There's a movie about him I watched a dozen times as a kid. I became a real fan. My sophomore year in high school I went to Broughton High School to attend an away basketball game. That's when in the rafters I saw a banner with his name on it. I just thought that was the neatest thing. After that I found out that one of my buddies fathers played high school basketball there at Broughton with the "Pistol". He had some really cool stories. My Grandpa always said if Pistol stayed in Raleigh and played for NC State we could have had a dynasty, what with Pistol in then David Thompson after.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Did he ever make a three pointer, I don't think so. If he wasn't Magic, he was certainly magical.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I saw him play for LSU vs MSU twice. Floppy hair, dirty socks, and this was the 60's in Mississippi! No 3 pointers or dunks allowed. I remember Pete casually dribbling down the right side, covered by an all-SEC guard. Pete bounce-passed the ball mid-stride between his (Pete's) legs, kept on dribbling air and the guard stayed with him for two more steps. Pete was a one man team and scored over 40 points in losing efforts. Packed the field house: I sat in the aisle for the second game.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I was fortunate to see him play live a few times, in ACC bball, while he was at NCState. His Daddy Press was the coach. Truly a remarkably talented athlete. Though somewhat clumsy looking at times, it always ended with a remarkable pass, fake, shot, etc.

Correct about no 3 pointers in college ball in those days, nor goal tending by the offense or defense. I think this was the main reason Lew Alcindor developed and perfected the sky hook.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I dont even like basketball, but I would watch him play. Humble and seemed to play for the love of the game.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Did he ever make a three pointer, I don't think so. If he wasn't Magic, he was certainly magical.

The three point shot wasn't in place when he played.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

It has been determined on game films that if the 3 point line was used in his day, his points per game average in college would have been in the mid 50s.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
^^^^^^^^

It has been determined on game films that if the 3 point line was used in his day, his points per game average in college would have been in the mid 50s.

That was my point. I'd wondered if anyone had tried to figure in 3-pointers for him. Throw in imaginary 4-pointers from wherever you'd choose, Pistol Pete would be the GOAT. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
In the two games I attended, Pete would play with the team for most of the game and then start shooting as soon as he crossed midcourt. His best shot was a jump into the defender, slide the ball to the side, get hacked on his non-shooting forearm and shoot with the other hand. Had two free throws every time. His team mates could not anticipate his passes. I saw him knock down his open forward with a behind the head pass from the top of the key. Layed him flat.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He may have been magic on the court, but that sumbitch couldn't use a forum search function worth a damn.

Posts: 107581 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post