SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A scathing analysis of the tactics used in "Starship Troopers":
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A scathing analysis of the tactics used in "Starship Troopers": Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Every time they say Rico, I can't help but say Suave.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Not “RICO’S ROUGHNECKS!”?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anubismp:

That being said, I never understood why they didn't just nuke them from orbit. Why did they need boots on the ground? I know, I know. No story otherwise.

The book does it much better. The first drop is against the "Skinnies," allies of the bugs. The orders are to destroy property but don't kill them if possible. The good guys are trying to get the Skinniest to switch sides. The climax of the book is a Dunkirk type raid for two reasons. First do they have to kill every bug there is? Two, POW are known to be held on the big homeworld. What techniques can be developed to rescue them? The last part is the final assault on the bug homeworld. There has been developed a planet killer but it's not being used because of the POWS.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
If one accepts that the intention was not to do a faithful adaptation, but to rather create a satire, with only loosely basing it on the source material you can appreciate the movie for what it is: a B-roll sci-fi flick

If you look at Verhoeven's other works, e.g. RoboCop and Total Recall, they are also chock full of satire.

He is poking fun at consumerism, the reduction of culture into a crude, pale shadow of what once was, the use of sex and violence to entertain ourselves, our obsession with drugs to numb our emotions, surrending our freedoms to oppresive corporations and governments because obedience is easier than responsibility.

In any event, it is only a movie.

I, too, would love to see a faithful movie that tries to do the book some justice. Not a satire, not a farce, but an honest to God movie that not just captures the Jump Suits, but the decentralized tactics, sowing chaos in the enemy's rear, forcing them to react and when they do, it happens too slowly.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
From a well placed acquaintance; When the film came out, FBI training included a class on the difference between a citizen and a civilian using this scene. I found that very interesting.

https://youtu.be/w_urWSSZgwU

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That being said, I never understood why they didn't just nuke them from orbit.

I like how you think.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
That being said, I never understood why they didn't just nuke them from orbit.

Because they want the planets to themselves. Kinda hard to inhabit a planet if it is irradiated.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post