SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    About to embark on Fallout 4....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About to embark on Fallout 4.... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I tried once before a while back and never got started due to life and other games. I'm about to dive in, got the new 4K TV and and the HDR download all ready.

Any tips? I'm usually a stealthy type in Elder Scrolls games, arrow shots from a mile away and throat cutting from behind.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tips? Enjoy the ride. Hope you have a few days set aside.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Avoid Deathclaws like the plague until you level up and acquire power armor.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You get Power Armor like eleven minutes after you leave the vault.

The mods are where it's at. I had to get one to change out the stupid ass left handed bolt actions.

"I can't see the casing flip out! How will I ever get my peepee up when my wife is getting railed by her boyfriend and I'm watching!?"

~ Some Fallout 4 Dev (probably)

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Save often. Don’t overwrite. Go back and do different factions for different endings.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use only knives

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Grab every piece of junk you can find and keep it with you until you cant carry any more.

The crafting system is hugely important and every piece of junk can be broken down into raw materials.

The first ruined town you are in will be your base for a while so put all junk in your stash there until you can build crafting benches.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I've got 3 and 4. Havent started either because I know what a time suck they will be.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
I've got 3 and 4. Havent started either because I know what a time suck they will be.

Don't forgot about 3.5... Fallout: New Vegas. Big Grin

You're missing out.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I'm playing through New Vegas right now. Aside from it, I've only ever played 4.

4 is extremely immersive in the world and detail and graphics and shit, but the quests, dialogue, and storylines are pretty lacking. This is only really noticeable when compared to other games like NV.

I still love 4.

Not sure I have any advice though. just have fun.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Make the cannons as soon as possible. Calling in artillery by radio is a blast.

Also, find the USS Constitution, and do that quest. It is fun.

You can do a long range sniper. That is my usual mode, too. I carried a gauss rifle for long range death, and a shorter range, but faster firing gun. if I got in a little closer. But after a while, I improved the gauss rifle enough that it fired fast enough even for closer range, and it also became so powerful that it didn't often take more than a shot or two.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Listen to the Silver Shroud radio broadcasts if you enjoy old time radio programs.

Don't miss anything in Sanctuary, get your lockpicking skills up early and hit the root cellar behind the house on the cul de sac there.

For an early .44 revolver, follow the river bordering Sanctuary, to the power transformer, you'll find a dead worker with a lunch pail.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make up your mind about playing through with or without mods. I think it’s a bit more satisfying to level up and explore everything without mods then turn them on later. It’s a lot of fun either way. I wish that Bethesda would just keep making DLC, I need new places to explore.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
What skills are most useful?

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Don’t discount the laser musket. That thing can be nodded into a BEAST of a sniper rifle.

Sell your power armor cores with some charge left in them you get lots of caps for them. Like run them down to 5% or whatever.

NEVER LEAVE YOUR POWER ARMOR(s) with a core in them. Those sticky fingered bastards at your settlement will appropriate your gear.....you know for the good of the community.

Water farming. Know it, love it, do it.

Learning what clothing can be ballistic weaved and combined with armor can really go a long way to both making you tough as hell and letting you “costume” how you like without totally sacrificing protection.

All the DLC stuff is good but Far Harbor is FANTASTIC

Lock picking and hacking. I focused on lock picking and had companions who hacked.

There is a gun you can buy at one of the vaults, a .45 Rifle called the overseers guardian. With this modded and a max rifle skill you have a beast of a weapon useable in all circumstances that takes easily found cheap ammo.

Bang a robot, you know you want to.

Pay close attention and you might hear Wonder Woman Lynda Carter singing. Smile

There are locations outside of the map boundaries. EXPLORE.

No Brahmin are to be trusted. Smile

I had fun settlement building. YMMV. I will say that a very tangible benefit is having a place to buy and sell weapons and junk close by.

FARMING. DO THIS. you will want to go pick the plants yourself. You will be able to make adhesive easily this way.

Power armor is cool for certain areas and doing certain cool things but is not NECESSARY to the game play. I did enjoy collecting suits and modding them. I think I have like 30 suits or so.

Take the time to read everything you can on terminals. Some great story telling as well as lots of clues to loot and such. Hint Red Rocket gas station has some stuff worth the read.

Supply lines. Supply lines.

Ohhh “and another settlement needs your help, I’ll mark it on the map for you.” Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
What skills are most useful?

Are you playing on Xbox One, PC, or Playstation?

The Xbox and PC have many awesome mods for free. To get mods for Playstation, you must buy them through Bethesda's creation club.

You will have a lot of fun even if you play the game without mods, but Bethesda sandbox games shine because of the fan made mods.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Playing on Xbox One X

Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
These are the skills I find the most useful.

Weapon of choice
Stealth
Lockpick
Persuasion/Conversation (don't remember the name)
Crafting skills

Crafting is a huge part of the game. Enhancing weapons and armor that you find and building up settlements are very important.

Weapons with the Explosive trait are overpowered. You can't use them at point blank because you will hurt yourself but combined with Stealth you can mow through pretty tough enemies.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot, there’s a wandering merchant named Cricket that sells a tommy gun called spray and pray. It’s expensive but extremely fun and can make short work of most every enemy.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I believe Spray and Pray is a sub gun with Explosive property.

Great for mangling Ghouls and the less tough creatures. Sug guns struggle against highly armored things. The explosive property is suprisingly useful against Mirelurks who only have a small vulnerable area.