SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blade Runner (original)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blade Runner (original) Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Somehow I had never seen it.

Just finishing it up.

Remarkably unimpressed. Something wrong with me? The flow just didn't interest me.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Did you see the theater version or the director's cut?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I think the book Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep was better than the movie...don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie...but we have been inundated by so many Sci-Fi movies since Blade Runner was released I can understand that it might be lagging in some areas...

At the time of its release it was a pretty edgy and unique adaptation of Dick's book.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am a directors cut fan.

I think if you go into blade runner looking for sci-fi you risk disappointment. For be it's a modern/futuristic take on all those old bogart / noir kinda flicks.

As a kid I didn't like it. As an adult I love it.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It's funny I don't particularly like The Godfather. It is absolutely a wonderfully told, masterfully acted, great movie.......I still don't particularly like it. I too often have that .... "is there something wrong with me" feeling. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I felt much the same, first time I saw it. It wasn't until watching it the third time that it really caught on with me. Come back to it in a couple of years or so, then maybe in a couple more.

There's a lot of subtlety in that movie, and I think it takes watching it several times to begin to appreciate it.

I think I'm ready to see it again, now that you mentioned it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I also have never seen it.

There are several versions and I hear different opinions on which is best

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the movie make you feel worn out? Tired, sick of the grind? Did it make you feel like you were aware there was a culture and a universe there but you weren't exactly part of it? That you asked yourself what the point was, and to whom did it matter anyway if anything happened to these people? That the dreary, rain-soaked world would move on as if nothing these characters did mattered?

It's neo noir. There's a subtlety and nuisance to the film that really gets you when you let it sink in. Might be worth another viewing in the future.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Here I am thinking it is still a masterpiece.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Try the Final Cut. If it doesn't do that for you, then there's nothing this movie can do to make you like it.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
How did you see it? On the small screen?

I saw it twice on VHS in the '80s. Didn't care for it. It was slow and meandering. Then I saw the Director's Cut in the theater. Really liked it then. It's less plot-driven and much more of a wonderful neo-tech-noir atmosphere to soak in. You kinda need to have a theater experience to focus your attention and appreciate all the detail and art direction. Some films are made for the theatrical experience.

I felt similarly about the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Saw it twice on home video, and I was bored. I saw it on the big screen, and it freaked me the f--- out.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I also have never seen it.

There are several versions and I hear different opinions on which is best

There are really only two.

The version released in theaters with the voice over by Ford (because they didn't think the audience would understand what was happening) and the Happy Ending.

Then there is the Director's Cut without the voice over and a darker hint at the end

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the original (I like the voiceover....it adds to the feel, IMHO) but I gotta say, the Final Cut looks fantastic and sounds great.

Any version you watch is gonna be good, if it's your first time (sorta like sex LOL). It's only when you start comparing and contrasting the different cuts it gets confusing.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Here I am thinking it is still a masterpiece.

you are not alone,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Somehow I had never seen it.

Just finishing it up.

Remarkably unimpressed. Something wrong with me? The flow just didn't interest me.

just finishing it up and posting already?

stop,

wait a few days, maybe a week,

pick a quiet night, turn off the phone, net etc and just watch the movie,
post on Sigforum about it the next day,

if you are feeling froggy, read the book (the original Dick novel) first, (not that the movie is all that close to the book)

big screen tv if you have one, do not view on a tablet,

saw it first way back when it came out as a teenager,
bought the first copy I could find later when I got my first VHS player (years later,)

got the uber geeky suitcase with all the DVD's now,

excellent movie

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I think the book Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep was better than the movie...don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie...but we have been inundated by so many Sci-Fi movies since Blade Runner was released I can understand that it might be lagging in some areas...

At the time of its release it was a pretty edgy and unique adaptation of Dick's book.

I tried to read that book once and didn't think the movie really followed it much at all?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it at the theater when I was 14. It blew my mind then and it's still one of my favorite movies. I kinda like the narration, maybe because I'm just so used to it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a polarizing movie if ever there was one. As others have said, usually it's not the first viewing that'll bring you in. When I first saw it, I went in expecting an action sci-fi flick based on the little bits / previews I'd seen. Obviously that's not what it is and really only thing I ended up liking was Darryl Hannah and her raccoon eye makeup.

Years later I revisited it and was drawn into the storytelling aspect and such and saw just how great a movie it really is. Now I love it and consider it one of my top 5 films. It's just beautifully shot and acted, way ahead of its time. And now I can appreciate Rutger Hauer's acts as much as Darryl Hannah's body. Wink

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
It is just a great movie, one of my favorites. Earlier this month I got the new 4K UHD Blu-ray, it was remastered and has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. It has never looked or sounded better.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post