SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Post-The-Beatles Lennon and McCartney
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post-The-Beatles Lennon and McCartney Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The best Lennon solo album was the debut, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. Lots of bitterness post-breakup.

My favourite Wings album is "Red Rose Speedway" but I still listen to his Paul's solo album "Ram" enough to keep it in my permanent rotation.

Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" is a masterpiece and as mentioned above, probably the strongest of all the post-Beatles work.

And then there's Ringo lol.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
... And then there's Ringo lol.
Well, you know what they say about drummers. Wink

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
the best post Beatles work comes from George Harrison. All Things Must Pass is the best album from an ex-Beatle.

Absolutely fantastic album.

Best album but Paul and John had better singles.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^

I disagree with your assessment that the Beatles were "activists". Throughout the band's history, they hardly delved into political issues, certainly their music is pretty much apolitical. In their early touring years, they did speak out and refused to play to segregated audiences or stay at segregated hotels, but other than a couple of benign comments about the war, that is it.

They weren't U2, Green Day, or Springsteen, or a whole bunch of modern bands and singers who sing and speak out a bunch of nonsense.
With The Beatles, it was all about the music.

Agree fully with your statement. Lennon was approached by the leading activists, and communists of the day (John Sinclair, and others), and would have none of it. Lennon was more into anti-war sentiments, and humanitarian pursuits. Check-out Harrison's "Concert for Bangladesh". I believe as a guitarist, Harrison was grossly underrated. Ringo was the consummate professional drummer. McCartney was about the only one who leaned left, and more so as he got older.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
quote:
the best post Beatles work comes from George Harrison. All Things Must Pass is the best album from an ex-Beatle.

quote:
Best album but Paul and John had better singles.

Both of these are true statements. My favorite album by McCartney is "Ram", it was clearly pop-oriented like most of his stuff. John's singles were all good like:
"Instant Karma", "#9 Dream", "Working-Class Hero", "Imagine", and "Mind Games". Lennon and McCartney were the composing geniuses, Harrison, and Starr were the solid-musicians. However, when he was suitably inspired, George could pen some good one's like: "Here Comes The Sun", "If I Needed Someone", "Old Brown Shoe", and "Badge" for Clapton.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post