SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    would this be considered texas swing ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

would this be considered texas swing ? Login/Join 
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXrSZr-DWA

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
No. This is:

Texas Swing

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It's definitely stylistically pretty similar, it's swing-influenced country or maybe country-influenced swing.

I usually think of Texas swing as having more focus on the fiddle than that song does, and also of being pretty heavy on steel guitar. I also think of Texas swing as emphasizing the swing rhythm more, although it's there in that song.

Plus, you know, the musicians or the song usually have some kind of connection to Texas. Smile

If you want to hear some classic Texas swing, try Bob Wills or Milton Brown. For something more modern, Asleep at the Wheel.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
No. This is:

Texas Swing

Exactly correct.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of a nutty friend. He grew up in the city but around age 20 decided he wanted to ride rodeos. As a bull rider he traveled small towns living in his 1952 Ford and chasing buckle bunnies. Guy is so pale he's almost see through with red hair. His most vivid memory of bull riding was having his face sledding in the mud when he got thrown. He once rode from the Pacific northwest to KC on a single cylinder BSA in a week.

He's drunk playing poker and since chairs at the poker table were short he's riding an upside down trash can. Periodically he gets a wild hare and cinches up and starts spurring the trash can, staying on it while it is teetering on the edge.

He hears a country songs and says it is "Western Wyoming dancern swing from eastern Austin" I think he lost some money in poker that night.

Truly a wild child. Almost blind now due to a tumor on his optic nerve he had since birth that nearly pinched it off. Two surgeons declined to operate, but luckily he found one who would.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when did they stop making the new songs?

is this like disco ?
just no demand , anymore?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

is this like disco ?
No, it's more regional in appeal. But it is a fairly compact subset of Western Swing-which isn't any more popular. I would agree with maladat it's heavier on steel guitar than Western Swing, but probably no perfect consensus.

If you want to listen to some later Texas Swing as it transitions into Honky Tonk, look for videos from early Ray Price and his Cherokee Cowboys and Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys.

If you want some polished Western Swing, try Spade Cooley-who was actually the first to be billed "The King Of Western Swing". He did a fair bit of popular music covers. Tom Morrell had a post-Texas Playboys career with his band, the Time Warp Top Hands that's rather more like Spade Cooley's work in its music covers, but since he played steel guitar, it's more Texas Swing.

George Strait did some what I'd call post-Swing music. It's not as raw as stuff from 30-50 years prior, but had contemporary appeal. Stuff like "Ace In The Hole", for example.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

is this like disco ?

Asleep at the Wheel is still active and occasionally puts out new albums. I'm sure there are others.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post