SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I liked the helmet cam view but that big clunky camera on the front shock cover sure was distracting.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Still adjusting to seeing Ric in yellow.
The sound quality on that was pretty bad, but glad to have the cars running again!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
First look at the cars (minus Williams) on track:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY3JwfLdXNM

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Testing times, Day 1:
Pos | Driver | Team | Time | Gap | Laps
1 | Sebastian Vettel | Ferrari | 1m18.161s | 169
2 | Carlos Sainz | McLaren | 1m18.558s | +0.397 | 119
3 | Romain Grosjean | Haas | 1m19.159s | +0.998 | 65
4 | Max Verstappen | Red Bull | 1m19.426s | +1.265 | 124
5 | Kimi Raikkonen | Alfa Romeo | 1m19.462s | +1.301 | 114
6 | Daniil Kvyat | Toro Rosso | 1m19.635s | +1.474 | 77
7 | Sergio Perez | Racing Point | 1m19.944s | +1.783 | 30
8 | Valtteri Bottas | Mercedes | 1m20.127s | +1.966 | 69
9 | Lewis Hamilton | Mercedes | 1m20.135s | +1.974 | 81
10 | Nico Hulkenberg | Renault | 1m20.980s | +2.819 | 64
11 Daniel Ricciardo | Renault | 1m20.983s | +2.822 | 44

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
What's your pre-season guesses?

Another Mercedes dominant season?
Ferrari with an upset?
Miracle Honda power from the RBR?

Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
I think Ferrari is going to finally after getting their stuff together take it to Mercedes, I think they’ve closed the engine/power gap and have the upper hand with aero.

Mercedes is going to falter with the new aero regs with the front wing and rear wing haveing not improved enough with their engine.

I think Red Bull will have the power but there will be reliability issues with the Honda engine.

Renault will have sorted their stuff with engine just when the Bulls switched and overtake/fight the Bulls.

Alfa Romeo will fight with Haas for best of the rest.

Those are my off the cuff thoughts after day one of testing. Yay!!! F1 is back! Forza Ferrari!!!!

Posts: 476 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek DRS failure for Ricciardo, lest to top flap of the rear wing, causing a spin & nearly into the wall.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

RBR finish 4th in constructors championship.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

Mercedes & Ferrari in 1/2, who's your 3rd place finisher?

I think it's going to be a good fight for 'best of the rest' this year.
Alfa, Renault, Racing Point, Haas.

We'll see come Australia how the Honda power fares. Sadly, seems Williams will be fighting for last again, barring some miracle. Hopefully McLaren has a good year.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

Mercedes & Ferrari in 1/2, who's your 3rd place finisher?

I think it's going to be a good fight for 'best of the rest' this year.
Alfa, Renault, Racing Point, Haas.

We'll see come Australia how the Honda power fares. Sadly, seems Williams will be fighting for last again, barring some miracle. Hopefully McLaren has a good year.

I hadn't thought about it, but my gut says Renault, even though Alfa may surprise many people. Ferrari ever have three teams they are proving data with, so I would not count them out. I took a prop bet (9:2) that RBR uses 5 engines over the 21 race season. Given both Honda cars last year used 6, and RBR used the most of any Renault engine car, I felt it was a good bet.

I think Ferrari and Merc will be top two (not that order), Renault, RBR, Alfa, Hass, Racing point, STR and Williams.

If RBR does finish 4th, I expect the team to quit/sell in 2020. Williams may close down if they finish last again this year. They are a public company listed on the Frankfort exchange, and lost money last year, and Patrick Head acknowledged that they would close if there were no budget cap in place and they finished last two years in a row (Forbes article from April 2018). Their estimated F1 winnings (total, non sponsorship) are estimated to have dropped from $79 MM in 2017 to just $55 MM in 2018 as a result of finishing 5th in 2017 to dead last in 2018. Their points scored dropped from 83 in 2017 to 7 in 2018.

Another bad year will kill that team. Keep in mind, in 2015 they finished third and used their $96 million in winnings to keep their car development going in 2016. They have lost significant ground every year since.

Their points earned over the past four years look like this:
2015 - 258 (3rd)
2016 - 138 (5th)
2017 - 83 (5th)
2018 7 (10th)

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hadn't thought about it, but my gut says Renault, even though Alfa may surprise many people.

This is what I'm thinking also...especially with the Aussie wanting to spank the Dutchman

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
New F1 Netflix movie looks interesting
preview:

https://youtu.be/OCMDH_at1_o

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
New F1 Netflix movie looks interesting
preview:

https://youtu.be/OCMDH_at1_o [FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Semantics, but it's a 10-part series. Looking forward to it.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Now that the first four days are done it looks like Ferrari and Mercedes are still likely to be the front runners. Not surprising.
The Red Bull and Renault are looking decent so far and maybe the Alfa and McLaren too.
The midfield looks like everybody else at this point, except the Williams, that hasn't run enough to tell. Looking tough for them right now.
Next test should give a little better indication and maybe everyone will make more qualifying type runs. They have been on a mix of compounds and fuel levels so far.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
And everyone's accusing everyone of sandbagging....true colors to fly come quali in Melbourne.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
21 days.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
21 days.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I guess we'll have to wait to Australia to see what's for real.
Just about every team has been at or near the best times other than Williams and they aren't that far back considering everything.
Maybe tomorrow someone will really turn it up. Most of the cars have reasonable reliability too.
Nice to see McLaren going quicker and showing some signs of real progress.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I guess we'll have to wait to Australia to see what's for real.
Just about every team has been at or near the best times other than Williams and they aren't that far back considering everything.
Maybe tomorrow someone will really turn it up. Most of the cars have reasonable reliability too.
Nice to see McLaren going quicker and showing some signs of real progress.

Nice to see McLaren run so many laps. 130 today while being at top on C4 tires. But agreee, need to wait for Melbourne

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Australian GP Tire Allocations