SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Danger Close - The Battle of Long Tan
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Danger Close - The Battle of Long Tan Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
thumbs up here also

God Bless all the allied combat vets --

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 7732 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Hell yeah! Just watched this over the w/e on Amazon Prime. Enjoyed it very much.

Im a big fan of all things FAL-related so it was nice to see so many SLRs (Aussie pattern FAL).

Love the exchange between the CO and a soldier about the soldier preferring to carry an M-16 "She's lighter than the SLR, doesnt hit as hard, and she jams a lot."

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 2166 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Loved the inclusion of the Owen guns. It's a lesser-known but great Aussie 9mm SMG that soldiered on from WW2 through Korea, Malaya, and Vietnam. You don't often see them on screen.

(Despite its wonky looks, the Owen was the best Allied 9mm SMG of WW2, and one of the Top 3 9mm SMGs overall in WW2, alongside the Finnish Suomi and Italian Beretta M1938.)

Posts: 24301 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Hell yeah! Just watched this over the w/e on Amazon Prime. Enjoyed it very much.

Im a big fan of all things FAL-related so it was nice to see so many SLRs (Aussie pattern FAL).

Love the exchange between the CO and a soldier about the soldier preferring to carry an M-16 "She's lighter than the SLR, doesnt hit as hard, and she jams a lot."

My wife pulled this movie up from Prime the other day and we watched it. Not too shabby. The closing of the movie where it talked about how long it took for those guys to be recognized for that battle.. very disappointing to learn of that, but not surprised by it, either. Mad

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7318 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Another cool historical touch: While most of the enemy soldiers are armed with AKs or SKSs, at roughly 1:27:40 the camera lingers on an enemy soldier firing a WW2 era StG44.

This is actually historically correct, as the VC received large amounts of captured German small arms provided to them by the Soviets, including K98ks, MP40s, MG34s, P38s, FG42s, and StG44s. They also provided them with a small number of captured German Pak 40 antitank guns.

Posts: 24301 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Well done movie, well worth the watch.

The ending is a nice touch where they show the actors next to actual photos of the soldiers they portrayed, along with a good bit of B&W movies of the company and what I imagine is the aftermath of the battle.

I saw that too RogueJSK with the STG44. Another time a bit earlier there was a VC/NVA with a SLR (assuming they picked it up off a dead / wounded Aussie soldier).

Posts: 44886 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Question for our members with infantry experience...

At one point early on in the patrol into the rubber plantation, one unit realizes another unit is in contact, the officer orders them to drop packs, and they hustle off towards the unit in contact with just their belt kit.

I'm familiar with this idea of dropping the non-combat-necessary packs in order to move faster and fight better, but my question is this:

What's the procedure for this pile of packs? Do one or two members of the unit remain behind to provide security for the packs? Do they abandon them and make a note of the location on their map to come back whenever they can and collect them? Or do they just wait until the current situation is resolved and then hope they can recall well enough to find their way back to wherever they dropped their packs?

(I don't have any military experience myself, but I've been a student of military history for several decades, and I've never seen this aspect addressed or explained, even in discussions of infantry small unit patrol tactics.)